Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I tried making an RTS (Non Eclipse Engine)

Squiddle

Hi everyone :3\. Well, I was bored waiting for S.E (Hint, hint ;D), so I decided to try to make an RTS game, inspired by R.U.S.E by Ubisoft. Well, It's making progress, but It's far from done. Right now I'm perfecting unit production, spawning units, making them spawn and move to where previously selected, mass spawns, etc.

What I have gotten done already:

> #Sprites#
> Infantry
> Supply Depot
> Recon Jeep
>
> #Engine#
> Unit Selection
> Unit Moving
> Unit Capturing (Supply Depots and bases)
> Unit Attacking
> Supply Depots

If it doesn't work out very well, I have other ideas I can work on. I think I have an even better idea than this, but I want to see if I can make this first :3.

> 1\. What engine are you using? (assuming it's premade)
> 2\. How long have you been working on it?
> 3\. What language?
> 4\. Title?
> 5\. Worthy of being released?
> 6\. Need any help? ^^

1\. Game Maker
2\. A few days-ish?
3\. GML (Game Maker Language)
4\. No idea, not sure until I can get a good, releasable version.
5\. What do you mean? The current status? Maybe some screenies and such, not an actually playable atm.
6\. Not really, thanks, though :3.

@Dunnit: Yes, but I failed. Now I'm willing to give it another shot, with different changes and such.

Hmmm, MMO-RTS. Interesting, interesting :3\. Levelable units/skills, buying different units and troops, but the combat type might be confusing, unless it's something like Ask to duel player. But that's boring XD.

@Huntsman:

> link=topic=58748.msg621850#msg621850 date=1269483431]
> @Dunnit: Yes, but I failed. Now I'm willing to give it another shot, with different changes and such.
>
> Hmmm, MMO-RTS. Interesting, interesting :3\. Levelable units/skills, buying different units and troops, but the combat type might be confusing, unless it's something like Ask to duel player. But that's boring XD.

If you make an MMO, you MUST refer to me for ideas ;D
jk, but you can if you want… :O
You might even let me help make it... :O!
(Because I'm bored...)

Seems like a nice project :)
Are you making it 3D or 2D? Got kinda confused when reading that part…

> Yes, rly. Can use it easier with better results than if I use any other engine (At least, for 2d non-MMO's).

Since with gamemaker, you CAN make 3D games! It's really possible, but also really hard..

@Rodriguez:

> You know what is funny? MMO-RTS is a hardly touched genre. *hint hint*
>
> - Adulese

Because most _programmers_ are ignorant idiots who can't actually program, and therefore they aren't able to deal with the networking involved in such a genre and therefore such a genre is considered hardly touched.

@RavenStylez:

> Seems like a nice project :)
> Are you making it 3D or 2D? Got kinda confused when reading that part…
>
> > Yes, rly. Can use it easier with better results than if I use any other engine (At least, for 2d non-MMO's).
>
> Since with gamemaker, you CAN make 3D games! It's really possible, but also really hard..

And also really pointless as you need SIMD for 3D, next to a few other things like NERBS and shading, which aren't provided by tools like Game Maker. The only real way to get high-performing 3D is via OpenGL and/or DirectX in a programming language which allows you to use inline Assembly or just in Assembly itself.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Godlord:

> @Rodriguez:
>
> > You know what is funny? MMO-RTS is a hardly touched genre. *hint hint*
> >
> > - Adulese
>
> Because most _programmers_ are ignorant idiots who can't actually program, and therefore they aren't able to deal with the networking involved in such a genre and therefore such a genre is considered hardly touched.

People who program video games hate network code. Won't even touch the stuff most of the time. My brother is a datacomm/network programming student, loves it. Wrote a networked 2d linux bomberman.
The guys in the Game Dev course, won't even touch network code. They make way better games in terms of graphics and innovative gameplay, but none of them will even try coding a networked game.