Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should there be a master server in eclipse?

Radekil9

For the hell of it I think i'm going to make this, because of my love of sockets ;D
I'll make something thats based off this skeletal idea:

* Someone must host the Master Server
* Master Server works with the 'Master Client' and sends the Master Client available servers to connect to (shows online/offline status, description of game, picture if given, etc)
* Upon choosing 'connect to this game' the Master Client will receive the needed resources to run the game, and then, run the game
* Probably some other cool stuff I could think of…

And basically if your a game owner you will have the ability to enter your game into the master server list by entering a form in which you provide a screenshot, description, game title, server IP and port (for status checking), the game data (.zip or .rar format). Then the server will take the game data, store it, and it will be ready for others.
The Master Client will be basically a list supplying some useful data about the games. Upon clicking Connect to game the user will immediately begin receiving game data. Once the data is all sent to the user, it will start the client.

@CrAzY:

> For the hell of it I think i'm going to make this, because of my love of sockets ;D
> I'll make something thats based off this skeletal idea:
>
> * Someone must host the Master Server
> * Master Server works with the 'Master Client' and sends the Master Client available servers to connect to (shows online/offline status, description of game, picture if given, etc)
> * Upon choosing 'connect to this game' the Master Client will receive the needed resources to run the game, and then, run the game
> * Probably some other cool stuff I could think of…
>
> And basically if your a game owner you will have the ability to enter your game into the master server list by entering a form in which you provide a screenshot, description, game title, server IP and port (for status checking), the game data (.zip or .rar format). Then the server will take the game data, store it, and it will be ready for others.
> The Master Client will be basically a list supplying some useful data about the games. Upon clicking Connect to game the user will immediately begin receiving game data. Once the data is all sent to the user, it will start the client.

That would be cool, but which version of Eclipse will you release it to?

@unknown:

> @Ddunit:
>
> > @unknown:
> >
> > > Well you didn't really explain what a master server was you just said master server so I think a lot of people misunderstood..
> > >
> > > If it's somthing that stores active server name/ips & sends them off to a client than it makes a lot of sense. It would be very useful to have one app to play every active eclipse game.
> >
> > And each time we want to play a different game, we have to use different graphics, which means we'd have to either download the graphics each time, or use the same graphics.
> >
> > Or we could use databases to store our graphics, but someone would've to code a new engine and way to load graphics.
> >
> > Even if we did use database to take care of graphics, the loading time for each maps would take ages.
>
> If you have custom graphics/engine you need a link to those graphics or engine files & the 'master' client could download and extract it.. It could be in zip format, and ideally you have a different folder within the master client application for every different server.
>
> The master client could function like an updater for every specific server.. If there is a newer graphics.zip or engine.zip for a specific server it should download & extract it.
>
> So essentially from within the master client, here's how I see the use case working..
>
> * On load connect to master server and retrieve server names, graphics, urls, ips, ports
> * Click a server from the server list to play
> * The master client checks checksum of ./servername/graphics.zip with server graphics.zip URL
> * If the checksums don't match download+extract the graphics.zip & when finished play
> * If the checksums match then play

That's just stupid. Because every single graphic of each game has the same name.

Tiles1, tiles2, Sprites, etc…

It wouldn't work anyway.

@Ddunit:

> That's just stupid. Because every single graphic of each game has the same name.
>
> Tiles1, tiles2, Sprites, etc…
>
> It wouldn't work anyway.

You obviously don't know how they work (or how I'm going to do it)… I've done this type of thing many times before lol, I know what I'm doing. You can see when I'm done.

Acctually, this wouldnt be a bad idea, once there are a few servers on it.

it can help new servers start out as other players see a new server on the list and want to try it out.

Although i think that there should be someone who tests games and they have to be of a high enough standard to pass to be on the list
like games that arnt finish cant be put on, but thats my oppinion

and i think when u click the server a info box should open, saying like, name website game style ect…. and how big game folders are they have to download =]

we should all try get this project off the floor =]

host active games in an organized list for download
without any bullshit mediafire or rapidshare

1) game one - description
2) game two - description
3) game three - description
4) game four - description

@thezeus:

> No… just no.... That would defeat the purpose of having code and customizing it.  This isn't a registry, its a engine.

Ok.. seriously. you people obviously don't know what the duck a master server even is, making this poll udderly useless; since no one can comprehend. A master server doesn't HOST ANY of the games. It tells what server is online, and which is online. and its description, and download link. its a good way to advertise a game; seriously its a win-win situation. why the hell not have something like this? it **DOESNT AFFECT YOUR GAMES WHATSOEVER**. Read up on master servers before you vote no, please.

Stop ranting and raging, thank you very much. In case of a poll people shouldn't do a lot of research at all, only if they want to get in-depth information. The problem with this whole topic is that the OP only wrote "vote!" instead of explaining the why, the how, the when, etc. Hence why I said that he should learn how to post topics properly.

If you want that people cast a proper vote then please explain the matter before complaining that they made the wrong votes, especially since they are wrongly, and in this case even not, informed about the matter. Not to mention that your description isn't a hundred percent OK either.

I'm simply locking this thread, since people can't post properly anyway.

@SilentStalkerChris16:

> How about you all lay off.Seriously let him try it. The problem is with this forum is you guys flame projects that you don't even know that will be sucessfull.
> Also Crazy ,I will help you with this. If you still need a host,get on AIM,I will add you

Nobody is flaming anyone here.

Regards,
  Godlord.