Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Some information about Warnings

Admiral Refuge

Hi everyone.

I've noticed people taking a lot of offense when they get a warning on Eclipse.
One member (his name will not be mentioned, and it's asked that you don't say who it is) has recently gotten a warning from robin for spam, he got very upset and it got to the point where he was actually harassing Robin over Steam because of the warning.

The admins decided to take disciplinary action against this user (he was banned for one week) for the harassment.

I am going to post the same message he will see when he tries to access the forums (please read it carefully); maybe you people will finally understand what the warning system is for, and maybe you'll be thankful you're just being "warned" not to spam or do it again, instead of the moderators simply punishing you for the action.

–------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear ,
You have received a warning for spamming the other day.
The message can be viewed here: After that, you began not only complaining about it on the forums and in the shoutbox, but then you contacted the person that issued the warning (Robin) via Stream and began harassing him about it (which I will address in a few moments).

First I would like to point out that your message WAS spam.

The topic you spammed in, was in the Questions board.
Not only was this one-post smiley textbook SPAM, but it was also off-topic and NOT answering the user's questions or helping the user.
Please be aware that if you're incapable of reading the rules or following them, I will be more then happy to remove you from the Eclipse Community.

I'm not sure why you got angry in the first place, actually.
When you get a WARNING it's to WARN you not to do it again...  Considering how upset you have become, would you rather action be taken (e.g. a mute or ban) instead of the moderator simply saying, "Hey, don't do that!" instead?

It is really starting to get me (and the rest of the administration) pissed off to see users getting angry over warnings, when they're meant to actually WARN you not to do it again; if you're unable to comprehend that we're **not** taking disciplinary actions against you, but rather telling you we **will** take actions next time, then for now on if you do something against the rules, instead of warning you that it's against the rules and you need to stop, we'll simply mute your account or ban you, even if you didn't know it was against the rules.  Would that make you feel better?

Okay, you didn't know posting a one-smiley was spam, correct?  That's why you got the warning; Robin was able to tell you, that posting this is spam, so now you know.  How would you have felt if someone took disciplinary action against you for spamming, when you didn't even know it was spam?  Would you have rather been banned for a few days for spamming instead of Robin simply telling you it was wrong?

And now, you began harassing Robin over Steam because of the warning.
Well, I guess I should direct you to another rule worth reading:
@Sir:

> **5.3\. Harassment.**
>
> Harassing a staff member via any channel of communication, whether it be via private messages or even MSN, because (s)he executed an action that you disagree with, is _strictly_ prohibited. You can however send a private message considering the taken actions to a moderator or an administrator, but this must be done politely and preferably in proper English, that means that your message should be void of swearing and that proper spelling is used as professionalism is required in these cases.

Please note the emphasis on "strictly"; this means you can be removed from the community for doing this.

With that being said, you'll be happy to know that you're not getting a "Warning" for the "Harassment" against Robin this time.
That means instead of me sending you a warning, telling you not to do this again (after all, you may freak out at ME for doing that!), I'm simply going to punish you for this for this action without giving you a warning first.
To make it clear, you're banned for one week.

Please take this week to study over this message provided; maybe you'll learn to appreciate Eclipse's Warning System.

Please note that your user account will also be used as an example to other members, as hopefully they can appreciate the warning system as well.

Regards,
The Administration (moreso, the actual Administrators).
–------------------------------------------------------------------

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@נυиgℓєтσє:

> Well what's going to stop him/her from harassing Robin over Steam again, if he/she doesn't care about the ban?

The most extent we can do, is ban the user from eclipse (current the account is only suspended for a week; but a perma ban is do-able).
But Robin probably already blocked that user on his Steam.

Wow, how truly pathetic. I don't understand why one small 10% warning would make him go to such extremes as to harass Robin on Steam? Also, I'm sure it would have been viable to just name and shame him, after all, you've given enough information to make it easy to find out who it was. xD

@Admiral:

> One member (his name will not be mentioned, and it's asked that you don't say who it is)

I…

@Admiral:

> The topic you spammed in, was in the Questions board.

Have…

@Admiral:

> Okay, you didn't know posting a one-smiley was spam, correct?

No…

> EDIT: I got a warning for posting one smiley? That is a pathetic rule. It had to be you to give me the warning though Robin, didn't it.

Idea…

> Pathetic warning Robin.

Who that is referring to…

@Yorty.:

> I'm not surprised whatsoever, typical of the said person. I think this should be stickied somewhere like chit-chat to act as a head on a pike.

I agree, more people should see this topic, and nobody seems to actually check the Announcements…

goes to Chit Chat and General Chat

EDIT: I just realized that I can Announce topics; I'll do that :)

Getting mad for a warn is OK but its not that you have to announce it to the whole world. Well, I wouldn't understand since I've never gotten warned(and i want it to stay like that).