• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3 Years at Eclipse

Adulese Games

@Zetta:

> @Robin:
>
> > Soon after Elysium was released. I'm not too sure about Eclipse's early history. I came over here soon after it was opened up, but then went to Mirage for a few years instead.
>
> thus spoke Robin, the historian of  the interwebz

Well, it all started with Mirage Online back in 2001! Consty had an online game he'd created in 2 weeks using VB6\.

He later sold the project to Shannara, who kept developing the game. Shan let Kael take a copy of it and release Playerworlds. Then, a cyber-terrorist known as PC came along and _decompiled the source code_! Oh noes! Shan decided he might as well just release the thing as public domain due to all the drama.

This is how we got Mirage 3.0.3\. The community loved it, and made quite a few things with it, although no one really knew how to program so it was mainly basic stuff. Eventually some teenager called Liam came along, registered himself as Coke, teamed up with Sean (GodSentDeath) and some other kid and released _Konfuze!_ Although Sean was an absolutely shit programmer who did most of his stuff at 7am whilst high on crack (Believe me, I was on ventrilo with him whilst he was developing some of this stuff and he had no clue what was going on.), Konfuze did well and became very popular.

Sean was the first to create a lot of the features you take for granted now, and ~80% of the features you love so much were developed by him.

One night whilst high on crack Sean heard that Liam was shutting down Konfuze so he retaliated by releasing the source code as Elysium. Liam wasn't shutting it down and it was all misunderstanding, but the damage was done.

Now everyone and their cat had a copy of the source code, and they all thought they could program because they could change a few variables. They couldn't, however, and tons of half-baked engines were developed from Elysium. (Eclipse being one of them, I have to say.) I lurked around pretty much all these off-shoots for a while, but I didn't do much with them.

This was around the time I started being active on Mirage. I left Eclipse for a good long while. I was just a little kid of course, about 14 or 15 at the time. The first game I created after a lot of lurking was Wind's Whisper, shortly followed by Naruto Realm. Neither of these went anywhere, but a lot of their features were dissected when I released the source code and you can still find the features being passed around.

Instead of developing games I decided to just program with Mirage for fun and released a ton of tutorials. Pretty much all Mirage games around this point in time had some of my code in them. Eventually I registered on Elysium again, which was now led by my old friend Joost. I had lurked around a bit during Luke's reign (Pingu), but I never registered. I went around and did what I did best; insulting people. This naturally got me moderator powers and I eventually lead an attack against Chris' "Chaos Engine"! (Chris was registered as Frozengod at the time. I think he's Xaden or something. What a fag lol.)

Elysium was eventually handed over to James and John who merged it with OGC.

Anyway, shoot forward a bit and I'm sat on Mirage when Soljah comes over challenging Mirage to a mapping duel! I was all like "You've activated my trap card!" and came over here to troll you lot (Because everyone at Mirage hated you guys at the time.) but I ended up meeting some nice people and eventually came to stay here and released Origins after I managed to trick Evan into giving me moderatorship.

Mirage got eaten up by James who merged it with OGC which was closed down at the start of this month. After Jacob stole my place as programmer on Mirage Realms it got closed down and released as a source code.

Now the only respectable communities left are Mirage Realms, Eclipse and Asphodel.

The end.

@Robin:

> @Zetta:
>
> > @Robin:
> >
> > > Soon after Elysium was released. I'm not too sure about Eclipse's early history. I came over here soon after it was opened up, but then went to Mirage for a few years instead.
> >
> > thus spoke Robin, the historian of  the interwebz
>
> Well, it all started with Mirage Online back in 2001! Consty had an online game he'd created in 2 weeks using VB6\.
>
> He later sold the project to Shannara, who kept developing the game. Shan let Kael take a copy of it and release Playerworlds. Then, a cyber-terrorist known as PC came along and _decompiled the source code_! Oh noes! Shan decided he might as well just release the thing as public domain due to all the drama.
>
> This is how we got Mirage 3.0.3\. The community loved it, and made quite a few things with it, although no one really knew how to programme so it was mainly basic stuff. Eventually some teenager called Liam came along, registered himself as Coke, teamed up with Sean (GodSentDeath) and some other kid and released _Konfuze!_ Although Sean was an absolutely shit programmer who did most of his stuff at 7am whilst high on crack (Believe me, I was on ventrilo with him whilst he was developing some of this stuff and he had no clue what was going on.), Konfuze did well and became very popular.
>
> Sean was the first to create a lot of the features you take for granted now, and ~80% of the features you love so much were developed by him.
>
> One night whilst high on crack Sean heard that Liam was shutting down Konfuze so he retaliated by releasing the source code as Elysium. Liam wasn't shutting it down and it was all misunderstanding, but the damage was done.
>
> Now everyone and their cat had a copy of the source code, and they all thought they could programme because they could change a few variables. They couldn't, however, and tons of half-baked engines were developed from Elysium. (Eclipse being one of them, I have to say.) I lurked around pretty much all these off-shoots for a while, but I didn't do much with them.
>
> This was around the time I started being active on Mirage. I left Eclipse for a good long while. I was just a little kid of course, about 14 or 15 at the time. The first game I created after a lot of lurking was Wind's Whisper, shortly followed by Naruto Realm. Neither of these went anywhere, but a lot of their features were dissected when I released the source code and you can still find the features being passed around.
>
> Instead of developing games I decided to just programme with Mirage for fun and released a ton of tutorials. Pretty much all Mirage games around this point in time had some of my code in them. Eventually I registered on Elysium again, which was now led by my old friend Joost. I had lurked around a bit during Luke's reign (Pingu), but I never registered. I went around and did what I did best; insulting people. This naturally got me moderator powers and I eventually lead an attack against Chris' "Chaos Engine"! (Chris was registered as Frozengod at the time. I think he's Xaden or something. What a fag lol.)
>
> Elysium was eventually handed over to James and John who merged it with OGC.
>
> Anyway, shoot forward a bit and I'm sat on Mirage when Soljah comes over challenging Mirage to a mapping duel! I was all like "You've activated my trap card!" and came over here to troll you lot (Because everyone at Mirage hated you guys at the time.) but I ended up meeting some nice people and eventually came to stay here and released Origins after I managed to trick Evan into giving me moderatorship.
>
> Mirage got eaten up by James who merged it with OGC which was closed down at the start of this month. After Jacob stole my place as programmer on Mirage Realms it got closed down and released as a source code.
>
> Now the only respectable communities left are Mirage Realms, Eclipse and Asphodel.
>
> The end.

There are a few corrections to your story; however, they for the most part are due to you starting up a little later.  I actually was the head mapper for the original Consty, Mirage Online back in 2001.  You may remember my final town of "Brenan" to the east (I believe it was near the first magic quest???).  Anywho, I didn't complete it all the way before I took a leave (PS, it was named after my cousin Brendan who was going through some issues at the time).

Consty had originally played Odyssey Classic with me and put together an idea for creating Mirage.  I thought it was an interesting idea.  Being young, I had free time and decided to help out.  Most of the modified artwork was done by me; also, all of the original mapping was done by me.  Consty was great to work.  He gave me tons of freedom to do my own thing.

It actually took him about 2 weeks to get the chat system & visuals in.  At that time, there was no attacking implemented.  For about a month, it was simply a chatroom w/ moving people. 

Originally, it was going to look very closely to FF1; however, we decided that taking their sprites was enough.  While some of the mapping was loosely based on it… we gave it our own feel. 

I don't remember what happened between Consty and I, but it prolly had something to do with Shannara coming into the picture.  I worked on Shannara's team for 2-3 months, but we had a difference in opinion, which led to my dismissal.  I returned for a month or so a year later, but it wasn't the same.

For some reason, i have a memory of Shannara selling the code to Acer Computers, but I may be wrong.

I still remember Shannara telling me about living in Alaska... I'll never forget the memories from working on the "other side of Mirage".

Fascinating.

Robin, thezeus, if the information you provided is indeed truth, I may require your ~~memory~~ help. When my sleep cycle is finally reset, my quest to gather any documentation about the beginning of the 2-D MORPG scene will begin.  At present, I have not done a stellar job keeping track of engine and game developments, but I'm not perfect.  I'm also a lazy bastard.

Off topic rambling/cop out complete.

I don't have all the facts, I just have what I know from first-hand experience. If you want the full story then you'll do well to get in touch with Shan or even Consty.

Consty is registered on MR so send him a PM if you want the really early history.

I only turned up in 2003/2004 when Mirage Source was released.

Feel free to contact me for whatever you need.  To my understanding, I'm the only person to work on both Consty & Shannara's team.  Additionally, if memory serves me, Consty stayed on to help Shannara for a short period of time, but I was the only person that stayed on from the original crew.

e-mail:  [email protected]
aol:  I Irish 84