Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Free Trusted Website Hosting - Cost? One Ad.

silentdemonic

Since you seem so opposed to me using Harris for a host, I'll ask you for the same thing he has offered me. I don't want a website or forum host, I have those, all I want is a ftp file host to host map files for the engine myself and Anasky are working on. Currently we have one, but it is limited to 1gig of storage and a 10gig bandwidth. I already foresee myself needing much more as some maps will be as large as 15mb a piece. If you don't offer this service a simple no will suffice.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Server map files would not be 15mb a piece but nonetheless I can still provide this service for you however you will need to either a) have a website hosted with us which is used or b) make provisions to display the required google ad.
I do have an online patcher which is suitable for option b) but if this is not to your liking then you could always place the required google ad on your existing website.
Failing that, this service may not be suitable for you :).

When I was testing map sizes for stability our full 100x100 map(meaning all current layers, all full) was 10.2mb. This was done before we added in the last two layers for our mapping system, which is expected to add another 2mb of data to the file. Right now I'm trying to keep my site ad free because it makes the site look far better, though if need be I can add a smaller text ad. If I were to set up a hosted site on your service it wouldn't be updated and would most likely be a redirect with the ad.

@Azure:

> When I was testing map sizes for stability our full 100x100 map(meaning all current layers, all full) was 10.2mb. This was done before we added in the last two layers for our mapping system, which is expected to add another 2mb of data to the file. Right now I'm trying to keep my site ad free because it makes the site look far better, though if need be I can add a smaller text ad. If I were to set up a hosted site on your service it wouldn't be updated and would most likely be a redirect with the ad.

Learn to not add so much bloody data to every tile.

@Azure:

> When I was testing map sizes for stability our full 100x100 map(meaning all current layers, all full) was 10.2mb. This was done before we added in the last two layers for our mapping system, which is expected to add another 2mb of data to the file. Right now I'm trying to keep my site ad free because it makes the site look far better, though if need be I can add a smaller text ad. If I were to set up a hosted site on your service it wouldn't be updated and would most likely be a redirect with the ad.

That sounds fine to me, if you are familiar with Google Ad dimensions you are free to pick any size you like whichever bests suits your website :)
Also wow - O_O 10mb for a map, Im using 31x31 grids and even our entire 25 map forest is only around the 5mb mark if not less.

Yes I'm a fan of larger maps as opposed to shear number. It's just a mapping preference that I have. Though I've been considering switching to a more organized mapping system of designing my maps in another engine(like rmxp) and simply mapping them in Anasky's New future based upon my design. If you care to we can discuss details further via pm so we don't litter up your thread.

Robin, I've not seen anything in 21 years, I've not had contact with my mom for 11\.

I am going to try both services and compare. I think that's fair enough as both are free, and I am around the forum enough that my opinion will be good advertising or bad advertising depending on what you each offer.

Hmmm,

Well hello, now there are some things that do not make sense here. For a start the .me suffix was made for personal websites. Next item is you have not told anyone if your running this on a dedicated server, vertical server or reseller account.

Next item is, you wont make enough money to cover this with google ads, just because they don't pay high enough.

So, answer my questions and ill be happy.

-Tepnet

Theoretically he could make the money back via ads, but it's not a safe bet. When I did do google ads I made 60-70c a click. (made 75$ before I got banned.) Though I don't know if he'll care to take the same measures I did. I'm guessing that this does fall under personal use to an extent, he's not making direct cash from it so it's not exactly a .org or .biz situation, though I could be wrong. I would like to know the server specs though.

.me suffix can be used for anything you like, it does not have the same legal issues surrounding it such as a country domain which even in those circumstances is no big deal.
If you read the post I made you will see that the site goes live on Sunday upon which all details will be released, for now it is early adopter/access.
The Money issue has already been covered, my main job is in website design and web projects and this is just something Im deciding to do to give back to the community.