Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

EE,ES or EO ;)

SkillQc

@Displaced:

> Eclipse Stable = more features, less bugs (they try to fix everything)
> Eclipse Evolution = just the basic game if you want it that way
> Eclipse Origin = brand new redo of Eclipse

ee the basic game? i dont think so >_> u can add all the script in it

@furtzown:

> @Displaced:
>
> > Eclipse Stable = more features, less bugs (they try to fix everything)
> > Eclipse Evolution = just the basic game if you want it that way
> > Eclipse Origin = brand new redo of Eclipse
>
> ee the basic game? I dont think so >_> u can add all the script in it

Exactly, ADD being the keyword, it isn't there anyway, like some people would prefer and should go to ES for that. I'm using EO because I know some VB6 and it's less buggy because Robin remade all the other features so it's way less buggy. You basically choose from buggy and old basic and all round outdated with scripting (EE), Newer, not many bugs but a few less new features (ES), or less bugs, more features, but for people who can code with VB6 or are willing to learn only (EO)… Take ur pick ;P

You should really only be considering two engines: Eclipse Origins and Eclipse Stable. Eclipse Stable is basically a fixed up version of Eclipse Evolution with more features, so you shouldn't be using Eclipse Evolution. If you know how to program in Visual Basic 6, you should definitely choose Eclipse Origins as your engine because it runs the best out of any other Eclipse version, and it has the least features in it, so you can program in your own custom features without having to go through the trouble of removing unnecessary code. However, if you don't know how to program, you should choose Eclipse Stable.

I agree with Kimimaru; Eclipse Evolution should be out of the picture – it's depreciated.

For all you people saying Eclipse Evolution is usable, I dare you to try and have your players cast spells, that is, have them try to attack an NPC with a spell that causes damage.  You'll have some epic errors.
Then, you can try putting something in the bank, try the autologin, try the trade system, use the custom menu, trade a stackable, try out houses, try the chests, the list goes on.

As for Origins, if you guys don't want dynamic sprites/maps, NPC spawns, npc vs npc, a stable engine (by "stable", I mean it won't kill the machine after a certain amount of time), go for Eclipse Stable.

Honestly, from a programming, performance, and stability point of view, Origins is definitely the way to go -- have you guys seen the handle data system for EE?  It's a nightmare, string comparisons, etc, the enumerated byte array is certainly the way to go, and with the features ready for the next version of Origins... Autotiles?  I'd say Origins would be the best.
As for scripting.. The original design for the scripting system, was for small things like making quests with scripted tiles and stuff -- it wasn't even comprehended that so much would be done with scripting.  Why?  Scripting is slow, simply put.  It's much faster to hardcode, and guess what?  You can use all the sadscript commands (PlayerMsg, etc) in the source code!
Also, you could always implement scripting yourself, there's probably one or two mirage tutorials someone on implementing sadscript (I have an archive of 99% of them, but Origins != Mirage Source).

As for Eclipse Stable..  Yeah, I suppose it goes have more features; one feature I'm in love with, is the disaster known as the Night System, as well as Flash Support (I'm sure it can be implemented in Origins, though, probably better if we even get the new DirectX in there).  The scripting is exactly the same in Stable than it is in Evolution -- only difference is that the subs are in separate files than one big main.txt.
Want to edit Sub PlayerLogin or w/e it's called?  Go into the Events folder and open the PlayerLogin.ess with the Eclipse Sadscript Editor; you can also take advantage of Stephan's inventory system, etc -- you can find the scripted modules in the Modules (or w/e it's called) folder.

In short:  Origins is the most stable, has the most unique features, and is the best-preforming than the other ones.  Eclipse Stable would be the second best, and Evolution should be out of the picture -- Eclipse Evolution 1.0 can be more stable than 2.7 in some regards, and that has Encrypted Graphics/Music, etc.

Basically, admiral refuge has it right.  Although, i find ES has quite a few small errors that aren't huge, but are unproffessional.  If you want something simple, effective, and basic, just use EE.  IF your going for a huge project, grab a coder and use EO.  If you are going for a decent game and u know a little VB6 go for stable; You can fix things as you go.  I don't know everything though, and i'm not up to date on the updates for ES so maybe ES has been debugged a lot.

@ÅÐмiядζ:

> For all you people saying Eclipse Evolution is usable, I dare you to try and have your players cast spells, that is, have them try to attack an NPC with a spell that causes damage.  You'll have some epic errors. Then, you can try putting something in the bank, try the autologin, try the trade system, use the custom menu, trade a stackable, try out houses, try the chests, the list goes on.

I agree with everything you said, Admiral, especially the quoted part. When I started working on Super Mario Bros. Online, Eclipse Evolution 2.7 was the best engine out at the time, and so I used it. I had to fix so many bugs for the game to work bug-free. Besides that, I've optimized the engine's code like crazy, so now it's way more stable and faster than Eclipse Stable. We've also completely removed the scripting system due to its sluggishness. :azn:

• 1 year later...