Christian View of Pokemon

Scribbyz

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@shadowdeath:

> You've got to be kidding me on this.
> No. Just no. It's simply a game. That's all.

I think that the extremist christians try to find excuses for no contact with their children (and I'm not saying that they all have no contact with them - but those who do won't belive shit like that). They try to blame that problem on anything the children are interested with, in the 7tees it was Dungeon and Dragons, then it came to video games (a general term, because none of those wackos ever bothered to check what video game it was unless it was mentioned by fox news) and then Pokemon.

And the priests? They just tell them what they want to hear.

@So:

> Why you two assume anyone cares what you belive in? It's irrevelant to the toppic.

Actually mine is relevant, Agnostic is someone who is doubtful or noncommittal about something. So I have views on both a pretty neutral levels, and I still think this is a load bull.

Pokémon **>** Religion

@So:

> @shadowdeath:
>
> > You've got to be kidding me on this.
> > No. Just no. It's simply a game. That's all.
>
> I think that the extremist christians try to find excuses for no contact with their children (and I'm not saying that they all have no contact with them - but those who do won't belive shit like that). They try to blame that problem on anything the children are interested with, in the 7tees it was Dungeon and Dragons, then it came to video games (a general term, because none of those wackos ever bothered to check what video game it was unless it was mentioned by fox news) and then Pokemon.
>
> And the priests? They just tell them what they want to hear.

I just feel that I have to mention here, that's not an accurate statement about the priests. The ones we have up where I am are pretty forward thinking, and I once asked one what he thought about stuff like D&D and violent videogames. His response was that as long as you weren't worshiping the gods from D&D in real life, and as long as you kept violence to within the games, it wasn't a problem.
Some of these guys get it. It's just that the ones you hear about are the ones that are making everybody rage at them, and they therefore don't tend to be the kind with forward thinking attitudes.

I just think modern religion as a whole has gone nuts in the last 50 years. It's time to sit down break bread and stop fighting stupid wars, fear mongering, and even worse bastardizing our children in the hopes of hiding from some unforeseen demons.

The irony is that children in these situations only go two ways, they become extremists in that religion, or they become extremists in other areas to protest what their parents taught them.

Thorn, There have been a few instances where I met priests like that. No one here is saying that these statements are pure fact and that all members of a religion are like that.  Not every christian is an extremist. I believe similar to that, if you understand it's a game and aren't following it like some possessed idiot then you should be fine. I mean Mortal Kombat is worse than Pokemon, by far.

@Thorn:

> I just feel that I have to mention here, that's not an accurate statement about the priests. The ones we have up where I am are pretty forward thinking, and I once asked one what he thought about stuff like D&D and violent videogames. His response was that as long as you weren't worshiping the gods from D&D in real life, and as long as you kept violence to within the games, it wasn't a problem.
> Some of these guys get it. It's just that the ones you hear about are the ones that are making everybody rage at them, and they therefore don't tend to be the kind with forward thinking attitudes.

Wow, really? Over here they just touch children.

@Robin:

> Wow, really? Over here they just touch children.

That whole scandal made me happy to be Jewish.

On topic, there are just a ducked up group of people (politicians, religious figures, ect…) who believe everything is harmful. Dungeons and Dragons, Violent videogames, Pokemon, ect. that regardless of what studies show, they are unwilling to accept the truth that none of these things are truly proven harmful. I agree with the Priest Thorn talked to, as the priest is accepting that these things exist, and are not harmful.

@.Aaron:

> @So:
>
> > Why you two assume anyone cares what you belive in? It's irrevelant to the toppic.
>
> Actually mine is relevant, Agnostic is someone who is doubtful or noncommittal about something. So I have views on both a pretty neutral levels, and I still think this is a load bull.
>
> Pokémon **>** Religion

How can you consider agnosticism as **neutral**? When you're born, do you have the slightest thought of a deity existing?

@Thorn:

> I'm a christian, born and raised, got an award for serving from the Bishop.
> Some of the vocal idiots calling themselves christian makes me want to hurt something.
> I saw one of them explain why candles were evil, and should be banned from good christian homes and churches.
>
> You want to see a good example of the worst that modern Christianity has to offer? Go check out Demonbuster.com . As a warning, it has some painful midi music background, but it explains why absolutely everything is EVIL and the fault of DEMONS. The also really like CAPITALIZING words partway through sentences.

I completely agree. I'm Catholic too.

@Miguu:

> How can you consider agnosticism as **neutral**? When you're born, do you have the slightest thought of a deity existing?

So your argument is that whatever we're born knowing or thinking of is correct? And that thought and consideration after that is incorrect?
Derp.

The fact is, many would see me as not being a very good Christian, simply because I think too much. I do believe in a god, yes, though I'm of the opinion that any entity that has been around since before the stars were born would be beyond the comprehension of humans. Simply the mindset such a being would have would be more than any creature that has lived for a paltry few decades would be capable of understanding.

I don't think that humans were created in God's image. I think that, if God had a hand in the development of life on earth at all, it would have been more or less throwing the "spark" of life on to a planet where it would take, and watching what happened. I believe that humans evolved to dominate the world by chance and evolutionary luck, not by divine guidance.

I think that, though there are a few core truths in the Bible, a lot of it is distorted by two things: The human perception, and the passage of time.
Though I don't believe that we were specially crafted by God, I do think that, as the most intellectual race on the planet, he/she may have made contact with people at some point. Again, such a being would be entirely beyond a human mind, and anything that it got across it would have to do in a way that fit with the worldview and culture of that human. Stuff like Do not covet thy neighbor's goat? Yes, I'm sure that God spends time worrying about the fair distribution of goats across the galaxy. More likely it was simply a good way to get the point across to not steal.

I'm also of the opinion that there is only one god, and that simply no religion has gotten it entirely right. Just like shining a light through a prism, you'll see that the same light appears to have different colors depending on where it lands. In some cultures, it fit the worldview better to have a number of gods. In others, a force of ultimate good and a force of ultimate evil (i.e. standard Christian God / Satan setup) was embraced. Of course there are those religions founded as a joke (Flying Spaghetti Monster, may he live in infamy :D ) or out of greed (Scientology sickens me), but I think that most of the more "honest" religions are all following some form of the same being, though it may take many shapes.

I can't really say what my beliefs on an afterlife are. I want to believe in one, but I'm not really sure if it makes a huge amount of sense. I can't really do anything about that however, so I'll hope and pray for the best and try to make the world a better place while I'm on it.

Also, one thing that I heard and found funny: If a Christian is right, they go to heaven. If an Atheist is right, nothing happens. Therefor, there is no reason to be an Atheist.

Good show Thorn. It's nice to see a christian with some sense. I live here in what they call "the bible belt" and honestly no one I've ever spoken to put it so plainly and logically.

I call myself a nondenominational believer. I believe in some way or form there was more than a random collision of particles that created life. That's about it. So in essence, there's god in some form or way.

I leave all other issues at the door, and move forward from there. I see pokemon, D&D, and most everything else in the literal since that it was meant to be seen in. They are a game or form of entertainment and the people who take more out of it are to blame for any misgivings. Not the game or their creators.

Concept of god how a child sees him is the purest there ever will be.

And by saying that your views on religion or what you belive in has nothing to do with this toppic I ment it. Because this is not a debate about what you belive in but about "Christian view of Pokemon". The sole fact that you are agnostic doesn't even remotely touches the toppic and telling us about this here only looks like a kids attempt to impress adults with his "mature" aproach to such matters.

Vash… so I heard you likes Bar Mitzvah? ;D