Java applet test - Post your FPS

Robin

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. That's the real frame rate. xD

It runs in two threads and it thrashes your CPU because I'm not limiting it. At the moment it's only got two threads. The default awt.* rendering thread (Yes, I know… don't laugh xD) and a separate game logic thread I created.

When the frame rate is unlocked, the main game logic thread is going thousands of times a second whereas the renderer is only going every so often. I stopped them going out of sync by having the main logic loop waiting for the rendering thread to finish it's loop before carrying on, which limits it down to around 400fps.

Much easier to handle.

Looking into using MVC at the moment, which should be waaay more scalable.

Keep in mind I've only been using Java for a couple of days now, so I'm still a complete newbie at it.

@Marsh:

> 112, im on firefox, I have a quad core something or other. I no how to check on windows not linux.
>
> But like I said I have graphic drivers installed. It lags while watching videos sometimes.

Mhh. It's only using the awt.* library so I'm fairly sure it's rendering in software mode. I've had a few other Linux users reporting frame rates in the 100,000s, so I'm not sure what's going on there. :\

Right. Finished the main entity system. It now supports full rendering of the entity at it's set position, partial rendering of the entity at it's set position (partial meaning I can select a 32x32 tile from a tileset and render that), full rendering of the entity at a position passed through the call or partial rendering of the entity at a position passed through the call.

Updated the first post with the new version. It's a quick test of the new thread sync and fps limiter. It randomly renders around 1825 sprites per loop, each given a random position every loop.

FPS check again please. ;o