Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse in a Web Browser (updated 1/4/11)

Homicidal Monkey

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@unknown:

> With Websockets and Canvas a full fast port of the origins client is completely possible. In fact Consty was working on an HTML 5 version of Mirage months ago before websockets even existed.

Before realising it was horrible and moving back to Flash.

@unknown:

> @Zоmbie:
>
> > @Soul:
> >
> > > @unknown:
> > >
> > > > Nice.. This makes me want an _HTML 5_ version of Origins now.
> > >
> > > This made me laugh so hard.
> >
> > Same.
>
> Haven't you heard of Web Sockets, the Canvas element or WebGL? It's possible, and would actually be really cool+fast with support easily added in for mobile platforms.
>
> HTML 5 is the future of rich web content.. It's definitely superior to using Flash or Java applets.

Mobile platforms can barely handle images for several obvious reasons and then you think they will support HTML 5, Canvas and WebGL? There is a reason why all major browsers run like shit, and HTML 5 will only make that experience even worse, just like anything else people keep adding. HTTP is fundamentally flawed and the only way to fix that is by redesigning it from the start, not by adding more nonsense to it. That's what Microsoft has tried with many of their applications and other companies, including consortia, seem to take the same approach to deal with the problem.

@мсичġġєт:

> People who have flash on their PC: 95%.

People who have a proper version of Adobe Flash on their computer: less than 50% (Adobe Flash is known to cause havoc like kernel panics).

@unknown:

> The _best_ possible web client IMO is HTML5 with a Flash version (incase of failure).. HTML5 is being widely adopted and will work on more devices in the future, and Flash has the largest market share right now.

The best possible client at the moment is one that is written in a low-level programming language and that doesn't abuse browser technologies. Browsers are made to browse web documents, since that's what HTML is made for. I don't care who W3C thinks they are, they have gone way to far outside their boundaries and should be replaced by a consortium that isn't brain dead.

It doesn't really amaze me how software that lacks all kinds of optimisation, proper design, etc. has the largest market share. That phenomena has been known for about two decades now.

If anything is superior here, it's the initial HTTP and HTML "standard". At least they don't enforce scientists to research quantum processors.

Regards,
  Stephan.

@Robin:

> @unknown:
>
> > With Websockets and Canvas a full fast port of the origins client is completely possible. In fact Consty was working on an HTML 5 version of Mirage months ago before websockets even existed.
>
> Before realising it was horrible and moving back to Flash.

He stopped because the websocket specification didn't exist and he was forced to use a flash hack for internet connectivity.

If you really believe Flash will _always_ be better than HTML5,
check out: http://html5games.com/
Many of the HTML5 games on that site are optimized to run on a mobile client.
Also look at Google's HTML5 port of Quake
http://code.google.com/p/quake2-gwt-port/

There are some cool HTML5 projects out there already, and it would be completely possible to port an Origins client to HTML5 that's all I'm saying…

@unknown:

> @Robin:
>
> > @unknown:
> >
> > > With Websockets and Canvas a full fast port of the origins client is completely possible. In fact Consty was working on an HTML 5 version of Mirage months ago before websockets even existed.
> >
> > Before realising it was horrible and moving back to Flash.
>
> He stopped because the websocket specification didn't exist and he was forced to use a flash hack for internet connectivity.
>
> If you really believe Flash will _always_ be better than HTML5,
> check out: http://html5games.com/
> Many of the HTML5 games on that site are optimized to run on a mobile client.
> Also look at Google's HTML5 port of Quake
> http://code.google.com/p/quake2-gwt-port/
>
> There are some cool HTML5 projects out there already, and it would be completely possible to port an Origins client to HTML5 that's all I'm saying…

>implying Origins is optimized enough in its current state to work in a fully interpreted language

This is the same shit we went through with more than three other threads:

1\. Guy posts about possibility, not taking into account certain factors or overestimating his/her ability. (10 minutes)
2\. People explain why possibility is wrong. (half a day)
3\. Guy argues posting some examples. (1 day)
4\. We continue to argue. (3 days)
5\. Contrary people finally win, thread dies down. (5 days)
6\. People are left angry at each other, leading to a small series of battles. (~25 days)
7\. Guy gets another "great" idea. (~2 months)
8\. Go back to step 1.

Now, this thread discussion from now on is to be the Web Eclipse alone, I don't care whose right.

@Soul:

> This is the same shit we went through with more than three other threads:
>
> 1\. Guy posts about possibility, not taking into account certain factors or overestimating his/her ability. (10 minutes)
> 2\. People explain why possibility is wrong. (half a day)
> 3\. Guy argues posting some examples. (1 day)
> 4\. We continue to argue. (3 days)
> 5\. Contrary people finally win, thread dies down. (5 days)
> 6\. People are left angry at each other, leading to a small series of battles. (~25 days)
> 7\. Guy gets another "great" idea. (~2 months)
> 8\. Go back to step 1.
>
> Now, this thread discussion from now on is to be the Web Eclipse alone, I don't care whose right.

Soul's progression of the argument:

* No understanding of HTML5, flame OP for thinking he can make a game in HTML5
* OP replies, it's logical. Google HTML5
* Realize many people **are already** making games with HTML5
* Continue to argue to support his original flame

I'll post a tile engine in HTML5 that works _exactly_ like the original Mirage tonight just for you Soul..

@unknown:

> OP of the html5 argument lol.. Your java engine is nice I'm not bashing it at all. I wish I would have thought of it.

>misses the point that the term "OP" refers to the originator of the thread

@мсичġġєт:

> SILVERLIGHT!

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/cc9496e5574aecb7ba1ae36442fc838d.png)