Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking into getting a new laptop, any ideas?

IFX

Basically, right now, i'm just kinda dreaming. I dont have any money, and I don't think I will for a while. HOWEVER. I would like to at least know what I should look for. Lets say, my budget is about 1000 usd. I'd like to avoid "fully designed custom made".

Heres what I do want out of it.

Must. Be. A. Laptop.

4-8G of ram,

AT LEAST 4 core processor (3.2ghz, but i'd like more if possible)

And a video card that could… lets say run cod 5 on max settings. (I don't know video card stuffs so yeah)

and thats pretty much what I want.

OH! AND I WANT IT TO BE INTERNALLY COOLED, THAT IS A MUST!

I am so tired of my laptop overheating every 30 minutes you have no idea.

So, anyone have anything in mind I should look at? I do want to look into amd stuffs, and or alienware, however i feel like aienware is over-hyped, and with a name that big, i shouldnt trust it as much.

Note: if you are going to go with the whole "custom build" thing to save money, please mention all parts needed? and or places to look so that i make sure everything is compatible.

Laptops are echy, I'd start building a desktop. Laptop's can't be upgraded as easy. And that being said, if you buy a desktop you're bound to learn about hardware. I LOVE my desktop. Laptops are good for on the go programming but outside of Robotics and School work, I don't really use my laptop.

alienware might actually be something to investigate. my ex had one and i cracked it open one time and sheesh. looks like a Ps3 heatsink in there. seriously half of the laptop is heatsink. so i dont think you'd have a heat problem with an alienware.

My suggestion is don't touch anything with the word Alienware on it. They are plain terrible and will die on you very fast. If you're looking for a quality gaming laptop then Msi and Asus are good from what I've heard. If you're willing to double your budget then the Razer Blade is the sleekest and nicest gaming laptop I have ever seen in my life.

> Laptops are echy, I'd start building a desktop. Laptop's can't be upgraded as easy. And that being said, if you buy a desktop you're bound to learn about hardware. I LOVE my desktop. Laptops are good for on the go programming but outside of Robotics and School work, I don't really use my laptop.

Must be a laptop. I'm going to an art institute for music production, and need my laptop EVERY DAY. and I need it to have some power behind it. also, I move around a lot. kinda nomadic. so i know a desktop is beter, but i cant.

> alienware might actually be something to investigate. my ex had one and i cracked it open one time and sheesh. looks like a Ps3 heatsink in there. seriously half of the laptop is heatsink. so i dont think you'd have a heat problem with an alienware.

Yeah, I'd think id just put alienware stuff in another case. Just use alienware as the blueprints and build my own. And yeah, heatsinks to hell and back.

> 3 times your budget…but o well [http://us.msi.com/product/nb/GT80-Titan-GTX-980M.html#hero-overview](http://us.msi.com/product/nb/GT80-Titan-GTX-980M.html#hero-overview)

Between college, and personal projects, 3x my budget isnt something i can really do. However i will check it out.

> My suggestion is don't touch anything with the word Alienware on it. They are plain terrible and will die on you very fast. If you're looking for a quality gaming laptop then Msi and Asus are good from what I've heard. If you're willing to double your budget then the Razer Blade is the sleekest and nicest gaming laptop I have ever seen in my life.

I get that, Read what i said above about using it as a blueprint. Asus has had my eye on it, but i've never heard of Msi. I'll look into it.

Would people stop arguing or telling people to just get a desktop and not a laptop if tey want to game? Some of us don't have a choice and need the laptop.

Anyways, I'd say to check out [THIS](http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GP60-LEOPARD-472-9S7-16GH11-472-15-6-Inch/dp/B00N1YPR8C/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1423416312&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=MSI+Computer+Corp.+GP60+LEOPARD-010%3B9S7-16GH11-010+15.6-Inch+Laptop) I don't know a great deal about it but it looks decent for a gaming laptop and it's not ridiculously priced.

> I bought PC 8GB RAM,4.0 ghz 6-core AMD processor,2GB DDR5 graphic card ,1TB HDD + 120GB SSD for less than 1000$ so I  think PC is better option than laptop in my opinion

PC is a better buy if you don't need to be carrying it around, this is common sense, but I for one have to bring mine from home to school and back daily so buying a PC is about the dumbest thing I could do and it looks like IFX is in a similar situation, so can we not have the posts of, PC is better, don't buy a laptop if you want to do any gaming.

> I bought PC 8GB RAM,4.0 ghz 6-core AMD processor,2GB DDR5 graphic card ,1TB HDD + 120GB SSD for less than 1000$ so I  think PC is better option than laptop in my opinion

A desktop PC will always be better and cheaper. I built my PC for $1000 and it feels so much nicer but sometimes I do miss that portability.

> Would people stop arguing or telling people to just get a desktop and not a laptop if tey want to game? Some of us don't have a choice and need the laptop.
>
> Anyways, I'd say to check out [THIS](http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GP60-LEOPARD-472-9S7-16GH11-472-15-6-Inch/dp/B00N1YPR8C/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1423416312&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=MSI+Computer+Corp.+GP60+LEOPARD-010%3B9S7-16GH11-010+15.6-Inch+Laptop) I don't know a great deal about it but it looks decent for a gaming laptop and it's not ridiculously priced.

Thank you for actually suggesting a LAPTOP! I know a desktop is nice but again, I really HAVE GOT to be mobile.

> A desktop PC will always be better and cheaper. I built my PC for $1000 and it feels so much nicer but sometimes I do miss that portability.

I'd sell my soul to be able to get a desktop but as it stands, my needs outweigh the want for a desktop. I've got to say I'm sticking with a laptop.

> who needs a laptop when you can just do this: [http://improveverywhere.com/2008/02/25/mobile-desktop/](http://improveverywhere.com/2008/02/25/mobile-desktop/)

I'd totally carry that luggage between here and the art institute. TOTALLY. Not like I have five stories to go up in an elevator, then another by stairs with it. yeah.

> Would people stop arguing or telling people to just get a desktop and not a laptop if tey want to game? Some of us don't have a choice and need the laptop.
>
> Anyways, I'd say to check out [THIS](http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GP60-LEOPARD-472-9S7-16GH11-472-15-6-Inch/dp/B00N1YPR8C/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1423416312&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=MSI+Computer+Corp.+GP60+LEOPARD-010%3B9S7-16GH11-010+15.6-Inch+Laptop) I don't know a great deal about it but it looks decent for a gaming laptop and it's not ridiculously priced.

Laptops just aren't built for gaming, if you wanna game with a laptop you're going to be buying a $1000 computer anyway that won't be very upgradable. >_>

> Laptops just aren't built for gaming, if you wanna game with a laptop you're going to be buying a $1000 computer anyway that won't be very upgradable. >_>

crest, i understand that, but i dont have an option on the matter.

> crest, i understand that, but i dont have an option on the matter.

Just do the smart thing and buy a desktop that is easy to carry. a lot of models these days come with handles and velcro straps for mobile desktopping.

you could also put your new desktop on a desk with wheels and push your desk wherever you want to go.

If you cant do that my second suggestion would be to buy a desktop then buy a laptop as well. Your main focus should be on the desktop though because its upgradable and better for high performance gaming. spend most of your budget on the desktop and whatever is left on the laptop

> PC = Personal computer.
>
>  
>
> A laptop is a PC… derp.

A Mac is also a PC but people say mac to differentiate. I could take my laptop off of my lap and put it on a desk and make it a desktop but what makes it a desktop is how people use the word desktop. just labels man.

> [http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-gs30-shadow-i7-4870hq-dd-105241-1386.htm](http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-gs30-shadow-i7-4870hq-dd-105241-1386.htm)
>
>  
>
> Its a laptop with a dock that, when docked, gives you desktop performance.

Thank you for being constructive. I'll look into it.