Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Donations vs. Proprietary

Helladen

**Introduction**

I want to ask what the community thinks the direction **Eclipse** should take when it comes to actual monetization.

_**Paid Plugins** will work the same in both cases, we will ask 10% or 30% of the money plugin authors make and put it toward the site._

**Gold Member**

**Paid Engine** with **Paid Plugins**

* The **Gold Edition**
of **Eclipse Worlds** will be a perk of **Gold Member**
. This will have benefits that will build up over time. It will cost $20, a one time fee.
* We will add a **Silver Member** l
ater on, similar to **Nin Online** where you can earn the benefits by being a veteran of the community that contributes to it such as referring people or making tutorials on the site.

**Donators**

**Donation Goals** with **Paid Plugins**

* We ask a set amount of money and put 50% or more of it into the project, the other 50% goes to the site costs.
* **Donators **will be able to download the **Gold Edition **of **Eclipse Worlds**. **Gold Members** that already exist, will be moved to **Donator** group. **Gold Member** group will be disbanded.

_As a side note, members that are outstanding will get these benefits in both such as **Member of the Month**. We also will be experimenting with **Donation Goals** to see how well it works out, we want **Eclipse** to be the center of 2D ORPGs and something that is taken seriously._

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really feel like i would rather just donate to the site costs myself really as that is what Link was talking about. And any benefits from that is just a bonus. 

Teh D <3

~~Edit:~~

~~What happens if the Gold goes ahead, but a donator isn't a Gold member?~~

> What happens if the Gold goes ahead, but a donator isn't a Gold member?

What do you mean? **Donators** will be able to download the **Gold Edition**
. If someone donates that had already donated, their donation total would go up. **Eclipse **would be ran more like if you donate at-least $5, you get the **Donator** rank, but their is no benefits for donating say $200 vs. $5.

> Would donating 0.01 Zimbabwe dollar get me access to the download? Will there be set increments?

The **Gold Edition** will eventually be faded out if we go with this model. You have to donate at-least $5\. **Eclipse** will be ran as a service for members and not a proprietary engine.

What is this, Amish 2.0? We all saw how Amish's "Gold" failed, it was a perfect example of how NOT to monetize the site. Though he brought in money, he closed a main source code, and look where it left him. I do however do NOT think that donations are a stable source of income toward site funding. Zarachi is my friend, but when he purchased the site, he knew this would be a liability to running it, if he's in grave with paying a site fee, he probably wasn't ready to buy the site. That being said, I'm glad it was him and not someone like, oh idk… chief...

Got a little off topic,

Anyway, with the past of the site, I think it's a bad idea to even **mention** the whole "Gold for new features" here.

My suggestion, actually find space for real ads for the time being.

> Also a question, Eclipse Worlds doesn't cost a dime to make. Why would 75% go to Eclipse Worlds and 25% go to the website?

We're talking about paying people to make **Eclipse** better. Donation goals are ways to make **Eclipse** better. My time is not free. Even if I do donate a lot of it to projects.

**Eclipse** with both models is aimed at making more money than what it costs to run. This is not a nonprofit organization.

My plugin architecture will be a .DLL and closed-source. I will provide the API for people to use, we will eventually move to .NET or C++ server. I think this model is better which is why I am not defending the **Gold Member**
model.

> I forgot about that, If its members only the client and server should become open source, but the auth server should somehow be needed to check for licenses or something?

People can easily steal my **Gold Edition**
, I never planned to lock it down with an auth server. Both are already open-source.

> We're talking about paying people to make **Eclipse** better. Donation goals are ways to make **Eclipse** better. My time is not free. Even if I do donate a lot of it to projects.
>
>  
> **Eclipse** with both models is aimed at making more money than what it costs to run. This is not a nonprofit organization.
>
>  
>
> My plugin architecture will be a .DLL and closed-source. I will provide the API for people to use, we will eventually move to .NET or C++ server.

No joke dude, Literally Amish2.0\. Seriously, Eclipse was originally invented to be free, "FreeMMORPGMaker.com" Isn't that misleading now?

Eclipse turned into an educational tool believe it or not. and, while I understand that your "time isn't free" You didn't hand code Eclipse Worlds from scratch. In fact, from my understanding, it's not 100% your code to profit from either. And, while this argument sounds one sided, as the side of the users of eclipse, you have to remember, I was on both sides of the coin as well.

> Since when did EO become EW? I am seriosuly confused… Are we donating for EW or EO??

He's talking about closing the source for Eclipse Worlds and making it so you're required to a "donation" to get the full version, just like EO4 was. Donation is a fancy word for, "You have to pay us AT LEAST X amount, but feel free to give us more".

In addition to this, he wants the majority of the money to be given to EW, so he can profit, when half of the written source isn't even his. So, either way, you're paying him over eclipse.

Finally, when Yukiro purchased the site, he told all the users that Eclipse would be free and open source again. Closing the source and selling it, AND calling it the official build is literally making a liar out of him. But, I want to hear what Yukiro has to say before making that assumption.

> No joke dude, Literally Amish2.0\. Seriously, Eclipse was originally invented to be free, "FreeMMORPGMaker.com" Isn't that misleading now?
>
> Eclipse turned into an educational tool believe it or not. and, while I understand that your "time isn't free" You didn't hand code Eclipse Worlds from scratch. In fact, from my understanding, it's not 100% your code to profit from either. And, while this argument sounds one sided, as the side of the users of eclipse, you have to remember, I was on both sides of the coin as well.

**Eclipse Worlds** is free and the donation model makes it free. The only reason the **Gold Edition**
costs money is cause it was before I joined **Eclipse** staff. Breaking promises with people is very bad. I am giving people the choice to choose. The **Gold Member** model is **Amish** 2.0\. The donation model is essentially **Eclipse** being ran as a service.

> Since when did EO become EW? I am seriosuly confused… Are we donating for EW or EO??

EO has been discontinued. How could it possibly pertain to that engine?

All models I already explained! **OPEN-SOURCE**.

> **Eclipse Worlds** is free and the donation model makes it free. The only reason the Gold Edition costs money is cause it was before I joined **Eclipse** staff. Breaking promises with people is very bad. I am giving people the choice to choose. The **Gold Member** model is **Amish** 2.0\. The donation model is essentially **Eclipse** being ran as a service.
>
>  
>
>  
>
> EO has been discontinued. How could it possibly pertain to that engine?

Seth, stop hiding it behind the word donation. You're closing the source, and selling a better version to members, there's no other way of putting that.

> Seth, stop hiding it behind the word donation. You're closing the source, and selling a better version to members, there's no other way of putting that.

NO. You are just not reading what I am typing. My engine has always been open-source. I do not believe in closed-source software. If someone pays for the software, they deserve the source-code for supporting its creation, but I also believe in open-source software beyond proprietary model. You just don't know to read.

This is a poll, do you not understand?

"My plugin architecture will be a .DLL and closed-source. I will provide the API for people to use, we will eventually move to .NET or C++ server. I think this model is better which is why I am not defending the **Gold Member**
model."

Which, I should add was originally an idea of John and I to add with Lunar Eclipse.

Then you really should elaborate because the original post LITERALLY SAID…

* We ask a set amount of money and put 75% or more of it into the project, the other 25% goes to the site costs.
* **Donators **will be able to download the **Gold Edition **of **Eclipse Worlds**. **Gold Members** that already exist, will be moved to **Donator** group. **Gold Member** group will be disbanded.

giving no information about anything. For all anyone knows, you're gonna do just like amish with stuff like that.

A library is not software - a library enhances software. My plugin API will be closed-source, but people do not have to use plugins, they are optional. The engine will be completely free and open-source. Plugins will be made by the community similar to **Sadscript**.

I didnt even know EO had stopped and EW took its places, How did I not know this! Either way, I was my donations to goto site costs only. That is what sparked the community to ask for the donations thing in the first place. Not choose this way or that way we just wanted a simple Donation Graph type gadget to donate to help Link with the site.

> I didnt even know EO had stopped and EW took its places, How did I not know this! Either way, I was my donations to goto site costs only. That is what sparked the community to ask for the donations thing in the first place. Not choose this way or that way we just wanted a simple Donation Graph type gadget to donate to help Link with the site.

There were many announcements I made about it… This is just to see where the community stands. Donation graphs are simple. This is a future event that will happen later down the road of **Eclipse**.** Eclipse **has been on the brink of destruction for a long time, it takes a change for it to grow and prosper.

> A library is not software - a library enhances software. My plugin API will be closed-source, but people do not have to use plugins, they are optional. The engine will be completely free and open-source. Plugins will be made by the community similar to **Sadscript**.

I know what a library is, all you said was "Architecture" If you're going to write a post about monetization on eclipse, write it, in detail, explaining all the importance of things you know will cause controversy, because all this posts sounds like is a way for you to get money in your own pocket.

> I know what a library, all you said was "Architecture" If you're going to write a post about monetization on eclipse, write it, in detail, explaining all the importance of things you know will cause controversy, because all this posts sounds like is a way for you to get money in your own pocket.

I won't get the money that the download center makes. That will go toward the hosting costs. I will make money by making plugins. People act like if you do work it is worthless around **Eclipse**.If you can actually finish something that you start I would listen, but people who act like that are usually lazy and inefficient workers. They are envious that they can't finish what they start.