Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Donations vs. Proprietary

Helladen

We can have rewards for the amount you donate similar to **Kickstarter**. I made this topic to know what direction the community wanted to go, which is why I gave examples of what I thought up. This wasn't meant to be a do one or the other, so I shouldn't of made it a poll, but it was merely to see which was more desirable to do. Then we could get feedback and make adjustments where needed.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This site ranks very high in google for a number of different keywords

Would be really easily to host ads and bring in all the money you need that way. Almost all current websites run off advertisment and not donations or subscriptions.

> Would be really easily to host ads and bring in all the money you need that way. Almost all current websites run off advertisment and not donations or subscriptions.

I will add it in today and see the results. **Donators **
and **Gold Members**
 will not see ads.

> This is stupid, I'm gonna go make my own eclipse, with black jack… and hookers, ya know what, just forget the eclipse thing.

What is the problem? I do a lot of charitable work, but how about you go work at your job for free? Just cause it is a hobby to you, doesn't mean it is free work. Stop complaining and start living in the real world.

> What is the problem? I do a lot of charitable work, but how about you go work at your job for free? Just cause it is a hobby to you, doesn't mean it is free work. Stop complaining and start living in the real world.

Oh my goodness. This isn't your job… Or, at least I don't think. If you regard programming in VB6 for Eclipse as your job, then I should think it is YOU that needs to start living in the real world.

> Oh my goodness. This isn't your job… Or, at least I don't think. If you regard programming in VB6 for Eclipse as your job, then I should think it is YOU that needs to start living in the real world.

A language doesn't matter! It is the results you get from it. I am already planning on moving to a better language and when I do, you will be bitching, so cut it out and quit being negative.

> A language doesn't matter! It is the results you get from it. I am already planning on moving to a better language and when I do, you will be bitching, so cut it out and quit being negative.

I honestly don't give two shits about you, so no, I won't be 'bitching' when you do something that's irrelevant to me… What I DO care about is you calling everybody else out on stuff you make up in your head and then you think it's justified.

Do you or do you not think that your LIFE-FUNDING JOB is coding in VB6 for Eclipse?

> Do you or do you not think that your LIFE-FUNDING JOB is coding in VB6 for Eclipse?

No, I am working here to try to attract more developers into the MMORPG market. I don't plan to make a living off of **Eclipse**.Some people would say **To the Moon** is crap cause it was made in **RPG Maker XP**. The same individuals who think **Visual Basic 6** is crap. It is outdated yes, but if people use it well it can do great things. I actually prefer COM over .NET since it is slower, the only problem with **VIsual Basic 6 **is multi-threads and an updated IDE. The reason why Microsoft dropped it was due to the COM-architecture they had was very frail and caused problems with compatibility. **Ruby **is another prime example which I can code in, I can code in .NET, and many other languages. I do not see your point, whatever language I pick as a developer is of my concern. I am eventually going to move to .NET in the coming months. This engine is a stepping stone. What people do not understand is when you try to do too much, you **FAIL**. So instead of trying to carry the world, I do it a step at a time, and if I would fail due to my task being too big, I cut part of the job and release what I did. It is how I actually release work and don't ultimately give up.

I go to college and work at **Wal-mart**. It's a stepping stone, everyone has to do it to make it in the real world. I am doing this to practice working on big environments and to be successful in my career.

> No, I am working here to try to attract more developers into the MMORPG market. I don't plan to make a living off of **Eclipse**.Some people would say **To the Moon** is crap cause it was made in **RPG Maker XP**. The same individuals who think **Visual Basic 6** is crap. It is outdated yes, but if people use it well it can do great things. I actually prefer COM over .NET since it is slower, the only problem with **VIsual Basic 6 **is multi-threads and an updated IDE. The reason why Microsoft dropped it was due to the COM-architecture they had was very frail and caused problems with compatibility. **Ruby **is another prime example which I can code in, I can code in .NET, and many other languages. I do not see your point, whatever language I pick as a developer is of my concern. I am eventually going to move to .NET in the coming months. This engine is a stepping stone. What people do not understand is when you try to do too much, you **FAIL**. So instead of trying to carry the world, I do it a step at a time, and if I would fail due to my task being too big, I cut part of the job and release what I did. It is how I actually release work and don't ultimately give up.
>
>  
>
> I go to college and work at **Wal-mart**. It's a stepping stone, everyone has to do it to make it in the real world. I am doing this to practice working on big environments and to be successful in my career.

Did I once criticize VB6? LOL

And as for this bit: "It is how I actually release work and don't ultimately give up."

You _already_ gave up when people weren't jumping over themselves to sign up to your independent site for Eclipse Worlds. PLEASE prove me wrong in thinking that you'll just give up again when you don't get all the cash you think you deserve.

> You _already_ gave up when people weren't jumping over themselves to sign up to your independent site for Eclipse Worlds. PLEASE prove me wrong in thinking that you'll just give up again when you don't get all the cash you think you deserve.

I didn't give up even when I was independent. My updates were still coming. I got stuck on the quest system being dynamic. It is a lot harder than you think when structs max at 64k bytes. I was making the engine for **Silverdale**. I said this many times.