Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

College!

shrig94

Man, I'm so off and on in this forum, but I thought I'd do a neat update.

First off, I decided to drop out of high school this year. I was bored, last semester I attended a local university, and next semester I will be going to MIT, which should hopefully be considerably more entertaining.

I'm also teaching at a reputable math camp, which is interesting.

I'm releasing a beta version of my start up shortly, and I might ask some of you all to test it.

Anyone else going on to college? How has everyone else been doing?

@Xeryp:

> >drop out of highschool due to boredom
> >'test results are not important' written on college website
>
> You're going to fail in life son. Thought I'd best warn you.

Many schools are obligated to say that they don't care about test results, but most especially the good ones, use them as an elimination factor.

@Pryex:

>

I would have dropped out as well, for the same reason. It can only be interesting if you lack knowledge. Not to mention that education systems are flawed in almost every country.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

MIT is actually one of the best university in America(might be even in the world). It's stand for Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Massachusetts is one of American State, so yeah it's a state college. It's famous for engineering, though. so Draken isn't really wrong. They probably do study about car :P

Anyway, I'm 15 so no college for me yet. idk how you can get bored of high school. Hacking the school system is so much fun :D I don't turn in my homework, but I program it and email it to my teacher. I remember once, I was suppose to show/explain Pythagorean Theorem so I decided to buy a book on Java, scrim through it for a couple of days, just enough to know the basic syntax and program a Pythagorean Theorem Class/Library and send it. The teacher told me to come after school one day and said he couldn't open it. I open it with Notepad and explain to him, thus explaining the Pythagorean Theorem. Then I log in as Administrator on the School Computer, it was so easy to find the username and password cause we have a website that use the same database as the school network. Download JDK, compile and show him the Pythagorean Theorem.

I don't think I'll be able to do that in College, unless I become Stephan.
So I want to have as much fun as I can in High School.

Sincerely,
Rithy

@Pryex:

>

looool. You really have no idea how the real world works, do you? Want to be a programmer or game developer? Degrees are worthless. They're there to get you in to your first job. After that you'll be relying solely on that experience.

Hell, most of the people I know in the industry either went straight in to work after their GCSEs or dropped out of University.

Going through the full education system only shows you can actually apply yourself to something retarded and keep at it. That's a life skill you should learn, but it means nothing if you don't show any talent for dealing with machines.

@Robin:

> looool. You really have no idea how the real world works, do you? Want to be a programmer or game developer? Degrees are worthless. They're there to get you in to your first job. After that you'll be relying solely on that experience.
>
> Hell, most of the people I know in the industry either went straight in to work after their GCSEs or dropped out of University.
>
> Going through the full education system only shows you can actually apply yourself to something retarded and keep at it. That's a life skill you should learn, but it means nothing if you don't show any talent for dealing with machines.

[![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/6c611f3be1a296bed54240b89895a954.jpg)](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/#6c611f3be1a296bed54240b89895a954.jpg)

Haha, so basically I got in because of my success in math/science competitions.
Anyways, I'm going for EECS and Math. And it's really important to go to school if you're studying math or electronics, CS is a different story.
Also, MIT isn't a state school–it's definitely private.
I didn't get a GED or high school diploma, but those things don't matter with a lot of the big and popular schools as they don't mean anything for private institutes and big government institutes can make exceptions. (I was accepted into UC Berkeley/Georgia Tech and Dartmouth)

I was just bored of not having the resources to learn much more at high school. And I knew if I studied anything now, I'd just have to restudy it in college (I'm not getting any credit for the linear algebra or physics or PHP or C++ classes I took in the college in town). So, it made sense to try and go to college early.