Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scumbag NHS

Robin

Because Americans do have cars, & use more gas than other countries, the public transport has been reduced to only those incapable of operating a motor vehicle. Except for large cities, like New York's subways & taxis, Chicago.. Don't think I would include Atlanta, or Seattle, believe those people mostly drive cars.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DC has a huge Metro system that lots of people use. Public transport has nothing to do with wealth at all now days. My rich neighbor, who is a professional photographer with pictures at several famous art museums, still rides the bus down to his studio.

@Anna:

> Public transportation is decent when the geography of the area suits it. When you don't have dense populations in fairly consistant hubs, it's harder to have efficient mass transit. Good roads and automobiles are the best method of transporation in this situation.

Exactly…

@Anna:

> Public transportation is decent when the geography of the area suits it. When you don't have dense populations in fairly consistant hubs, it's harder to have efficient mass transit. Good roads and automobiles are the best method of transporation in this situation.

Refer back to my post on page one. :(

@SeeingBlue:

> Because Americans do have cars, & use more gas than other countries, the public transport has been reduced to only those incapable of operating a motor vehicle. Except for large cities, like New York's subways & taxis, Chicago.. Don't think I would include Atlanta, or Seattle, believe those people mostly drive cars.

The reason they do is because they fail at public transport. In the Netherlands and Belgium public transport is available throughout the entire country and used by many people, as it is generally cheaper to go by train or bus than by car (€150/year for me to go everywhere in Flanders, which is cheap if you travel frequently, i.e. almost daily). For short distances we have a bicycle (which is what the Netherlands is known for, but Belgians use it often as well) or our own legs (when was the last time most of you actually had a good walk from one city to another?).

Cars are over-expensive, take longer to get you somewhere (trains are so much faster), are the cause of traffic congestion (annoying waiting times) and take a lot to manage well. It just isn't worth it, most of the times.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

@S.J.R.:

> -snip-

I really wish British public transport sorted its act out. The delays are outrageous and the entire country shuts down as soon as we get a bit of snow.

Hell, we wanted some new trains from the Krauts and they had to spend €2,000,000 to weather a few miles of track enough to properly test the trains in British conditions.

Train fare is also ridiculous. We've had all sorts of tickets go up by silly amounts. I've heard of some people's tickets being 50% more expensive.

I use the occasional taxi for when I need something personal (Taking my Dad somewhere, doing shopping etc.) then I just take the train the rest of the time. I actually enjoy the walking and it keeps me in shape. I also got in to the habit of keeping an iPod with audio books on it. Makes the walk so much more enjoyable.

Also;
![](http://i.imgur.com/Sditp.jpg)

Right, so I've been up all night waiting for the appointment time. Booked at a Taxi for 7:30am, got to the place very early. Cost me 6 bloody quid though.

Go inside, ask about my appointment, turns out they only do day surgery there. I assume I have the wrong place. Ask if there's a place nearby and turns out there's a healthcare centre down the road. Try there and everything is locked up.

Ask poor bugger walking past and the only other place in this little town is the Hospital. lolno.

Decide to walk home so I don't have to waste another £6\. Takes me an hour and a half all up-hill.

I get home and find out I have a letter. **The letter informs me of my appointment at 8:15am at Ashcroft… no where _near_ where they told me.** There's a nice attachment in the letter telling me that if I miss a single appointment without telling them then I'll be completely removed from the waiting list (full A4 sheet of COMIC SANS FUCKING MS) so I have to phone up.

Get redirected a couple of times till I finally get to the bastard place which set up the appointment in the first place and tell them that the letter telling me where I'm supposed to bloody go was delivered 2 hours after the appointment itself and I'm told there isn't any open slots available so I'm _back_ on the waiting list.

The waiting list is about 18 weeks long on average.

So here I am with an entire morning wasted, £6 gone which I could have spent on drugs instead and my feet are sore as fuck. You know what the funny part is? Still got better healthcare than the states.