Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New trees for my tileset

Baron

Been making some new trees for my tileset, thought I'd show off the results :) hope you like em.

![](http://www.stripedelephants.com/GAMEZ/newtrees1.png)

Continued on and started redoing a lot of my organics.

![](http://www.stripedelephants.com/GAMEZ/newtrees4.png)

@DJMaxus:

> Wow, that picture alone reminds me of the old days of scripting on Eclipse. I remember seeing a map like this for an old map generator script I think? Either way yeah these tiles are awesome.

Yeah, the old mapgen I wrote for my Genesis server would have produced something similar looking, minus the new trees :)

Glad you liked the tiles! Did you used to go by another name ?

Hmm, so instead of making seals you have been making trees.
/frown.
Haha, to be serious though, it is nice to see someone who actually makes a realistic tileset, most (while still good pixelling) lean on cartoony and i can't say i'm a fan of that.
Really liking it, keep it up. :D

@Owen:

> Hmm, so instead of making seals you have been making trees.
> /frown.
> Haha, to be serious though, it is nice to see someone who actually makes a realistic tileset, most (while still good pixelling) lean on cartoony and i can't say i'm a fan of that.
> Really liking it, keep it up. :D

I wont lie mate, I lean on realistic because I struggle with more cartoony stuff.

I also have unfair advantage in this case too, as my flash engine supports alpha channels so….

Nice enough, but the colours of the trees look a little off. You could try a less yellow hue, perhaps. I know it's not the trees, but the grass tiles are mega-repetitive.

Other than that they're great. Palette works well and they're really detailed and well thought out. Good work :)

I think they are too detailed and characteristic to work well as tiles. Placing more than one on a map makes it incredibly obvious how they are the same tree.

@Dremek:

> Wow, you haven't posted anything in a while. I love it all! Except, for one thing I noticed. The sprites are to small in comparison to your tiles.

I have literally facepalmed.

@Erwin:

> Wow, very nice :cheesy:

thanks glad you liked them.

@Apple:

> Wonderful. Did you make these tiles yourself?

yes indeed. ground made a long time ago, organics recently except for grasses.

@Bonk:

> Nice enough, but the colours of the trees look a little off. You could try a less yellow hue, perhaps. I know it's not the trees, but the grass tiles are mega-repetitive.
>
> Other than that they're great. Palette works well and they're really detailed and well thought out. Good work :)

The grass tiles do need some more variety options, I agree. The yellow hue actually works well with some of the other shades of grass I have. The trees are made to work reasonably with a larger palette of grass colours.@Byson:

> Blimey, how long did it take you to do those. You must definitely have the virtue of patience my friend, I can't see anything out of place with it.

Actually I'm terribly impatient and short tempered. Go figure :S

@Dremek:

> Wow, you haven't posted anything in a while. I love it all! Except, for one thing I noticed. The sprites are to small in comparison to your tiles.

Actually, I think the sprites work even better like this, makes the world feel larger for the display area. I'll mess with it a bit, see if I come across anything I like better.