Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cube World (Voxel Based, Random Terrain RPG)

SawQuart

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Estec:

> I'm definitely going to be following this topic. I have Minecraft and it isn't as fun as everyone says it is. You have to crave to play Minecraft to have fun on it, which isn't that often. This game looks WAY better.

Plus, it looks like this game will have motives to do things. It's less centered around building/collecting resources and is more focused on combat, exploration, AI, and general game play.

Minecraft was a sandbox that wanted to be an RPG. This is an RPG with minor sandbox elements.

Anyways, the best thing about this in my opinion is that the community isn't  filled with immature 12 year olds (yet, and I pray it stays that way). I really hate to keep comparing it to Minecraft though, because it really is like a new-age Zelda.

@Jungle:

> Plus, it looks like this game will have motives to do things. It's less centered around building/collecting resources and is more focused on combat, exploration, AI, and general game play.
>
> Minecraft was a sandbox that wanted to be an RPG. This is an RPG with minor sandbox elements.
>
> Anyways, the best thing about this in my opinion is that the community isn't  filled with immature 12 year olds (yet, and I pray it stays that way). I really hate to keep comparing it to Minecraft though, because it really is like a new-age Zelda.

It's not Minecraft clone. It's a voxel-based RPG.

Just because something is block-based doesn't make it a Minecraft clone. It makes it a block-based game. People should be more upset that someone is creating–yet again--another block-based game since they all tend to look the same (even though I disagree with that in general).

@Winfield:

> It's not Minecraft clone. It's a voxel-based RPG.
>
> Just because something is block-based doesn't make it a Minecraft clone. It makes it a block-based game. People should be more upset that someone is creating–yet again--another block-based game since they all tend to look the same.

I agree. This game uses voxels versus actual cubes, and doesn't have textures. In fact, the only inspiration he got from Minecraft was the random terrain generation.

I'm considering changing the title… people are getting the wrong idea.

@Keebler:

> So is his goal to have a new rpg world genrated each time? If so that would be pretty cool. Its what always drew me to games like terraria and haven and hearth. The fact that you dont really know what type of world you will start off with.

Yeah, and there are "landscapes" now (AKA biomes):

> To make exploration more interesting, the world now consists of uniquely named landscapes. The names are generated as a random combination of syllables. Depending on the properties of the ground and the vegetation, each landscape has an additional name like 'Hills', 'Mountains', 'Beach', 'Ocean' etc.

Oh, I'm so playing this game. Hope he doesn't drops it as many people do.

@Kusy:

> Nope. That's the sound of me eating pork chops.
>
> However it's easy to confuse with the sound of you munching penises.

Kusy. Please. Stop bringing disturbing images to my head.

@Winfield:

> Thank you, Nameless.

You welcome, bro.

@NamelessSoul:

> Oh, I'm so playing this game. Hope he doesn't drops it as many people do.

Don't be too worried.

Unlike most amateur game developers, he's educated (Ph. D in CS). I'm not trying to imply that, "he knows what he is doing; therefore, he won't drop his project." I am trying to get across that educated people are committed individuals (he got his Ph. D, right?) and will most likely stick to the project.

Don't get me wrong; there is a factor of skill involved there (he won't run into "unsolvable problems" like most of us do), but for the most part he is committed.

@Winfield:

> Don't be too worried.
>
> Unlike most amateur game developers, he's educated (Ph. D in CS). I'm not trying to imply that, "he knows what he is doing; therefore, he won't drop his project." I am trying to get across that educated people are committed individuals (he got his Ph. D, right?) and will most likely stick to the project.
>
> Don't get me wrong; there is a factor of skill involved there (he won't run into "unsolvable problems" like most of us do), but for the most part he is committed.

Sounds like he is not likely to drop it then, but I'm still worried. I'm just going to follow his dev-blog and hope he doesn't screw anything. Anyways, thank you for making that clear to me.

@NamelessSoul:

> Oh, I'm so playing this game. Hope he doesn't drops it as many people do.

You need to realize that the indie games industry is completely different from Eclipse. Around here, everyone will drop their project at some point. Out in the real world of indies, there are people who are actually dedicated. The only people who drop their projects at that level are kids who didn't realize making the next CoD would be so hard.

@Jungle:

> You need to realize that the indie games industry is completely different from Eclipse. Around here, everyone will drop their project at some point. Out in the real world of indies, there are people who are actually dedicated. **The only people who drop their projects at that level are kids who didn't realize making the next CoD would be so hard.**

Lol'd so ducking hard. Although, it's completely true, they way you said it makes it funny. Ha.

@Jungle:

> You need to realize that the indie games industry is completely different from Eclipse. Around here, everyone will drop their project at some point. Out in the real world of indies, there are people who are actually dedicated. The only people who drop their projects at that level are kids who didn't realize making the next CoD would be so hard.

Actually, dropping projects is common among **any amateur developer**; Eclipse is no exception. The difference lies in both the individual's skill and commitment.

@Jungle:

> You need to realize that the indie games industry is completely different from Eclipse. Around here, everyone will drop their project at some point. Out in the real world of indies, there are people who are actually dedicated. The only people who drop their projects at that level are kids who didn't realize making the next CoD would be so hard.

While they aren't indie, blizzard dropped starcraft ghost. I'm sure there are plenty more. Anyone can drop their game if they don't think it will sell, or it's not worth their time, or they don't have time to work on it (though the latter is unlikely for a dedicated indie.)