Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I need to not have such long thread titles.

Eevee204

I phoned up my ISP today because my IP is constantly changing and they said nothing can be done about it, so is there anyway to get a new IP that doesn't mean you have to change it constantly, because I want to release the client soon and if the IP is constantly changing how am I meant to keep people on it?

How to I keep an IP the same for a long time, so far it's updating every 1-2 hours which is simply annoying.

Thanks
Eevee204

what type of internet do you have? I have a cable modem, and my ip pretty much stays the same unless i power off the modem and disconnect it. ive had the same ip for the past 4 months.

Ive never used no ip but i belive it installs a program which reports back to the no ip site. You give out your no ip IP to your players… they connect to the no ip site and then their site directs traffic from them back to you.

The other thing you can do is find a host and have them host your game for you... but this will cost some money.

You create an account on No-IP and then create a domain that will redirect back to your account and the IP set on it. That way, if players have that URL as the IP in config.ini, all you have to do is update your IP on the website (or download the client, which does so for you) when it changes so the site keeps redirecting their connections to you.

I dare say that No-IP is a must-need for any MMO.

To connect to your server, people put your IP in, right?

So if your IP is constantly changing, you have the problem that people can't connect without updating your IP in their Client.

What No-IP does is it puts a "mask" over your IP. So whenever your IP changes, the No-IP will stay the same and connect to your new IP.

People connect to this mask.

1\. Register with No-IP.
2\. Download the No-IP client.
_This runs in the background and keeps your "mask" up to date on what your IP is._
3\. If I remember correctly, you need to set up the "mask" on their website by creating a new "domain".

For that last step, It's either domain or one of the other options… someone else will have to help you with that part, I'm rusty. :D

Which IP Address is constantly changing?  My IP for my computer (and recognized by any other computer on the same network) is 192.168.1.## usually.  This one WILL change sometimes.  However, there is another IP address (can't think of the damn names) that does NOT change.  It's static.  It's your modem IP which is something like 75.###.### or something.  I'm sorry I'm not too familiar with this, but the port/ip you need to forward is the static IP.  Not your networking IP.

escfoe2 you are mistaken.

**LAN** (Local Area Network) This is your local IP. The local IP range is typically 192.169.X.2-255, or 10.100.x.2-255\. Where X is typically 1 or 0\. 192.168.X.1 and 10.100.x.1 are typically reserved for your gateway to your router. You can change these IP's on your router.

It is what is given to your computer by your router. This is the IP address that you point your port forward to. This IP address can change but rarely. EVERY device you attach to your router will get an IP. You can make your computer have a static LAN IP by configuring it in windows or making a MAC reservation for the device in your router. This IP Address can only be reached by devices that are attached to your router. Your friend across town can not connect to you by this address. It is better to make your computer have a static or reserved LAN address if you are portforwarding.

**WAN** (Wide Area Network) This is what is given to you by your ISP. You cann't change this address. This is the address given to you by IPChicken, whatsmyip, or any other WAN address checking site.

This is the address that you would give out to your friend. The problem with the WAN is ISPs usually refresh your WAN address. You can try to purchase a static IP from your ISP but this is usually expensive, and only used for buisnesses. Most ISPs use a sticky WAN address and you can go months or years without changing your address, but its not gurarenteed that you will keep the same address. Usually if you unplug your modem, or disconnect the line you will get a new address when you plug everything back in.

**Localhost (127.0.0.1)** This is the built in ip address of the computer you are on. If you need to talk to yourself you would use either localhost, or 127.0.0.1 as your ip address. This is built into the computer, and cann't be changed. This is only useful to talk to the computer you are currently on.

most routers are configured to shut down the internet connection on idle.
you can change it, so it will stay connected.
Then you can set the reset time between x-y hours (eg. 3-4 am).
So you would only get a new ip once per day.
combined that with no-ip / dyndns.org you'll make it.. i believe..

Anything without _America_ in the title. In the end they're all running off the BT infrastructure. Our system is very, very different to how it is in America due to how small our country is.

In this case it's not a bad ISP for hosting a game - I ran Silverdale off an old AOL connection back when I was a kid living with my parents.

Simply run a dynamic dns like No-IP and you'll have no problem at all. Why your external IP isn't sticky really is beyond me, however.