Find results in...

Megaupload closed

Robin

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole SOPA thing is full of dicks.

The most fascinating thing is why the so called gaming industry is backing it up. It's incredibly shortsighted from that point of view, some big companies backing up censorship in the name of bigger share of the market? That makes no sense, especially since they decide to use third party sites like fan-blogs and streams for marketing.

The beauty of Anonymous is that they don't face any repercussions because there are so many people out there?

The fact that you don't know about people being arrested, sued and convicted, doesn't really mean it's not happening every time they actually violate the law, and they do.

@Marsh:

> Glad Anonymous stepped up. I did not expect it so fast.

I lol'd that whole article. Great job on Anon's part.

@Kusy:

> This whole SOPA thing is full of dicks.
>
> The most fascinating thing is why the so called gaming industry is backing it up. It's incredibly shortsighted from that point of view, some big companies backing up censorship in the name of bigger share of the market? That makes no sense, especially since they decide to use third party sites like fan-blogs and streams for marketing.
>
> The beauty of Anonymous is that they don't face any repercussions because there are so many people out there?
>
> The fact that you don't know about people being arrested, sued and convicted, doesn't really mean it's not happening every time they actually violate the law, and they do.

They can't take down every member of Anonymous though because… well... everyone is Anonymous. That's the thing.

@Jungle:

> They can't take down every member of Anonymous though because… well... everyone is Anonymous. That's the thing.

This.

Reminds me of Code Geass.

>! ![](http://images.wikia.com/codegeass/images/9/95/Million_zeros.jpg)

Anyway, I'm sure if the Government starts arresting 'members', more will start attacking. It's like attacking a bee near it's hive.

Arrest reports usually get filed, so if there are people who claim they're from Anon then shit will go down. The government also usually files those reports to new media so that they can publish that they "have the hackers". It's the government's way of letting people know that they have control over the situation.

What's funny is that they don't.

More like "Anonymous" is a group of Department of Justice "White Hat" agents doing the attacks themselves to blow up the minimal "cyberterrorism" threat.

@Kusy:

> This whole SOPA thing is full of dicks.
>
> The most fascinating thing is why the so called gaming industry is backing it up. It's incredibly shortsighted from that point of view, some big companies backing up censorship in the name of bigger share of the market? That makes no sense, especially since they decide to use third party sites like fan-blogs and streams for marketing.

Anyone behind SOPA are generally large media corporations who can't adapt to changing markets and technologies, and so are crying to daddy government to help support their undeserved monopolies. It isn't about piracy, piracy is just a scapegoat they can use as they watch their markets evolve and adapt faster than their dinosaur business models can keep up.

Protesting, voting doesnt do anything. In the end the side that has the most power and money will win regardless.

While noble what did protesting by closing down sites do? What did Google slapping a black bar on their name do? NOTHING. Those in power could care less about lowly sites shutting down service, because those sites are not filling thier pockets, or stroking thier…..... egos.

Sure Anon took down the DOJ, Universalmusic, and other websites... but really that doesnt mean anything. When was the last time you went to ANY of those sites. Honestly the fat cats still won this battle because they can keep going without having to have a website, yet they were able to censor part of the internet.

What really needs to be done to show power from anon or anyone else would be to get into the actual systems and cause havoc from inside... deleting files or do some sort of wikileaks or something. While im against cyber terrorism, that would be the only true thing that would cause the government to bat an eye.

The only way to make the government and corporations realized people wont stand up for this type of stuff is to stop buying things. The movie industry is worried about pirated movies.... well what would be worse for them is if no one went to the movies, or rented movies. People need to stop buying music, and find artists that give their music away... but this will never happen... people will continue to buy goods, and the corporations will continue on dictating how the government, and world runs.

As I was intimating, they need the support of the general public.

I was thinking about that this morning, too, that shutting down the websites did nothing. It's like a baby crying. You can ignore it, and it'll eventually stop… compared to baby breaking a collection of things, causing more damage the longer you ignore it.

It's no use ranting. When it's time to take action, there will be. While shutting down websites and protesting probably didn't help, it showed that we will not stand for this. You're basing it like it's the only course of action we'll take, IMO it's merely a warning.

If the government is arrogant enough to wave off our protests and the attacks of Anonymous, then they just marked one of the biggest mistakes they ever made.

I disagree completely. Acting relatively drastically just gives the fascists more excuses to point to while trying to justify their tyranny to the average masses who aren't sure. A lot of congresspeople have stepped back their support from SOPA because of the amount of popular feedback about it.

Yes corporations and money controls politicians, but they still need the popular support to get voted in to reap the results of their corrupt crony-capitalism buddies.

Take OWS, nobody took them seriously because they had relatively little focus, and then once a few dipshits started causing trouble, it generally turned sentiment against OWS movement. A few reactionary people make petty aggressive attacks can be more better used by the establishment than are useful to the actual public.

I don't see how "hacktivists" are doing anything even closely relevant to being useful and productive. All they are doing and were always doing is pissing few people off, making some web tech's life harder and hype that pointless shit up.

Honestly, when was the last time anything they did made a positive effect on anything? Not to even mention DIFFERENCE?

And don't make me laugh Rusher. When it's time to take action you will what? Change your anime signature to another one?

@Kusy:

> And don't make me laugh Rusher. When it's time to take action you will what? Change your anime signature to another one?

If that's necessary to stop this moronic behavior, I suppose I will. But I'm actually quite content with the signature I have now. Would be such a shame to replace it..

@Kusy:

> Honestly, when was the last time anything they did made a positive effect on anything? Not to even mention DIFFERENCE?

![](http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_g4BNfTOfy5M/SZuYUDr951I/AAAAAAAAAeY/3JfAE7ugM6I/s400/DustyAvenge.jpg)

Pulls my heart strings whenever I see Dusty.

Addendum:

** UPDATE: 01/12/2010
We have just received this troubling piece of information from a trustworthy local source:

My name is (removed), I live in Lawton, OK and I have first-hand knowledge of the fact that the 2 cats being abused in that video, have not gone anywhere but back home to his abuser. I know for a fact that the Glenn’s and Sheriff Stradley are best buddies, I have witnessed Kenny (Christopher) Glenn telling the Sheriff that “I’ll see you when you come over to the house later.”

Nobody has been punished, the cats are still where they came from in the first place. For personal reasons I can’t give you more info then that, I am just letting you know that absolutely nothing has happened to the animal abuser. The media ordeal was all a big show to make the public think that the abuser got punished……

Well, shit.  :mad:

I wasnt actually saying anon or someone actually should hack… I do agree with you Anna it actually just causes more trouble. I thought anon was a bunch of idiots hurting more people than helping when they went after sony and all that other stuff.

What I was trying to get at was ddosing websites in the big scheme of things does little. Especially sites that dont really have any threat if they are there or not. Now ddosing say Youtube, or facebook would be more of an impact than ddosing the DOJ's site, but if anon or whoever actually caused a "REAL" disruption in one of those organizations way of doing buisness, then there might be more concern by that organization, good or bad.

@F​luttershy:

> I wasnt actually saying anon or someone actually should hack… I do agree with you Anna it actually just causes more trouble. I thought anon was a bunch of idiots hurting more people than helping when they went after sony and all that other stuff.
>
> What I was trying to get at was ddosing websites in the big scheme of things does little. Especially sites that dont really have any threat if they are there or not. Now ddosing say Youtube, or facebook would be more of an impact than ddosing the DOJ's site, but if anon or whoever actually caused a "REAL" disruption in one of those organizations way of doing buisness, then there might be more concern by that organization, good or bad.

This notion is further applicable in the realm of politics. Until someone does something disruptive enough then little attention will be paid. I still see SOPA passing in some form despite the largest congressional email traffic surge since god knows when. More than double the yearly average in a single day. At least more sheep are taking notice.

If they hit 4chan, all bets are off. That would pretty well be an outright declaration of war against Anonymous, and I don't see them as the kind of group to NOT rage against the dying of the light.

It would pretty much be the first full scale cyberwar where there was actually something major on the line. I mean there's been stuff at stake before, but we're talking the freedom of the internet here. The states would become the online equivalent of Nazi Germany in the eyes of most, and Anonymous would be the free world fighting back.

It terrifies me to think that Anonymous might solidly be the good guys here. If they do what needs to be done then great, but… eh. I'm more used to thinking of them as insane virtual partiers (like Magic's Rakdos, but online) than heroes.