Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

People stealing my work

Tic Tac 2

I think what Stephan is trying to explain, is that there's no point in encrypting your graphic files because:
1) They will just be decrypted easily by the same method the client uses anyway.
2) They are still able to be ripped after being decrypted by the client.

The purpose of encrypting something is to prevent somebody from accessing it.  You're not exactly using it for that method, since you still want the user to access your files anyway.  All you're doing, is wasting resources to encrypt, then decrypt, a file, with the warped idea of hiding it from the very same person you're about to show it to – if that makes any sense.

Thanks people, i appreciate all of your help :)
What i want to do is just prevent these so called "noobs" to not be able to do this so easy.
It doesnt matter if they CAN decrypt it, i just want the majority of these noobs to be washed away.

Yes, i'm a noob for asking this question as well.

You're right, though it makes me feel really depressed when people can mooch off my work.
Makes me really think about when i download games for free instead of paying.

Though i can still feel comfortable about making money off my own game and being able to take legal action against people stealing my work.

http://echostorms.net/Mirage/MS%20Tutorials/Approved%20Tutorials/GFX%20Encryption%20Compression.html

Old tutorial for Mirage Source, but should still be relevant. Like most others have said though, you can't stop people from ripping your work. It is impossible. And besides that, the chance that you produce a successful game is extremely extremely slim, the chance of someone making a successful game copying you is even slimmer.

@Joost:

> http://echostorms.net/Mirage/MS%20Tutorials/Approved%20Tutorials/GFX%20Encryption%20Compression.html
>
> Old tutorial for Mirage Source, but should still be relevant. Like most others have said though, you can't stop people from ripping your work. It is impossible. And besides that, the chance that you produce a successful game is extremely extremely slim, the chance of someone making a successful game copying you is even slimmer.

thanks,nice find

@Lumiere:

> stealing your graphics means they are retarded kids or the graphics are really good ,don't worry

Agreed. It is a good test anyways. If you want to know how good your graphic skills are, encrypt them, get your game online and then search for them on the interwebz.

@Zopto:

> http://www.dreamincode.net/code/snippet430.htm???idk maybe this help?
> or this http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=404980&highlight=Decryption

DreamInCode link is just plain terrible. XOR encryption is not real encryption, not to mention a host of other problems (the key code be extracted with [a tool like this](http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897439.aspx)). Also, repeating sequences would give away the key. Since the first pixel must be transparent, there will be more transparent pixels than other pixels. In addition, headers give the key away. The first two bytes of a .bmp file are always "BM". XOR this against what the first two bytes of the "encrypted" file are and the first two letters of the key are revealed. The rest can be found by brute-force (less sophisticated) or by frequency analysis (repeating sequences).

I won't even comment on the VBForums link because there's a brute-force method in the comments, not to mention it's terrible.

Please don't post links to things unless you know that what you're doing is actually safe.

@Joost:

> http://echostorms.net/Mirage/MS%20Tutorials/Approved%20Tutorials/GFX%20Encryption%20Compression.html
>
> Old tutorial for Mirage Source, but should still be relevant. Like most others have said though, you can't stop people from ripping your work. It is impossible. And besides that, the chance that you produce a successful game is extremely extremely slim, the chance of someone making a successful game copying you is even slimmer.

There are several problems with that method:
* You create a temporary file, whose contents could easily be intercepted.* You use zlib for "encryption". That's not encryption. That's compression. Anybody can just use zlib to decompress your file.* Using a transformation technique (as funkynut suggests in the comments) is still worthless because you create a temporary file. This temporary file could be "stolen" in a number of ways.

To conclude on the note of encryption, client-side decryption is worthless if the client is untrusted.

In addition, if you have any "unbreakable" encryption methods I would love if you sent them to me. Please send the encryption and decryption executable as well as any encrypted file~~.

As for the DDoS, I don't think many have the actual capacity (control of a botnet and/or a lot of computers) to actually do that. It's more likely he'll attempt a DoS (where one computer attempts to take down a server), in which case blocking his IP will probably do the trick. I also doubt he would attempt something like that anyway.~~

@Zopto      What actually did Ryoku to hide his files was to hide only the data folder.
Left Click the data folder then go to Proprieties and check Hide, then a box will pop up, choose to hide only the data folder not all the folders that it contains.and voila you hide your data folder.

Another Trick will be:
' Gfx Path and variables
Public Const GFX_PATH As String = "\Data Files\graphics\"
Public Const GFX_EXT As String = ".bmp"  <– change that into whatever you want example .lol

Then go to Graphics folder and change extensions from .bmp to .lol
Don't worry the game will read the file anyway because it's still a bmp but with another extension.
And i doubt that any player who is not a member of EO community will know it's true extension.

@Soul:

> As for the DDoS, I don't think many have the actual capacity (control of a botnet and/or a lot of computers) to actually do that. It's more likely he'll attempt a DoS (where one computer attempts to take down a server), in which case blocking his IP will probably do the trick. I also doubt he would attempt something like that anyway.

Easiest way to mess with a server is just a simple loop creating an account. A simple program can send the new account request a lot more often than the server can handle it. (Setting up the .ini or whatever is used in current versions)

@Lumiere:

> @Zopto      What actually did Ryoku to hide his files was to hide only the data folder.
> Left Click the data folder then go to Proprieties and check Hide, then a box will pop up, choose to hide only the data folder not all the folders that it contains.and voila you hide your data folder.
>
> Another Trick will be:
> ' Gfx Path and variables
> Public Const GFX_PATH As String = "\Data Files\graphics\"
> Public Const GFX_EXT As String = ".bmp"  <– change that into whatever you want example .lol
>
> Then go to Graphics folder and change extensions from .bmp to .lol
> Don't worry the game will read the file anyway because it's still a bmp but with another extension.
> And i doubt that any player who is not a member of EO community will know it's true extension.

I'd probably do this.
most of the faggots who steal the graphics dont know how to do shit with eclipse.
they even end  up asking me "HOW MAKE MAPS" or "HOW BECOME ADMIN"
so 99% of rippers wouldnt know how to screenshot and paperdoll.
and im fine with the majority of these people getting washed away.

Again, many many many thanks for all of everyones help :)

@Joost:

> Easiest way to mess with a server is just a simple loop creating an account. A simple program can send the new account request a lot more often than the server can handle it. (Setting up the .ini or whatever is used in current versions)

I know account creation is logged, but I'll have to check if there's a limit on the accounts a certain IP can make in a time slot. But there's certainly better ways to wreak havoc than a DoS, as that just makes the server temporarily unavailable.