Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Carim's Content Contest

Exception

The Discussion/Submission thread is located: http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/thread-85608.html

Hello! Recently, things have been looking a bit…uninspired, so in the hopes of helping everybody come up with more and push the boundaries of what Eclipse can actually do, I'm going to host weekly contests in the hopes that maybe the site as a whole can provide inspiration to go beyond what vanilla Eclipse Origins offers.

The "theme" each week will change, may not necessarily be to do with Eclipse/ORPGs, and the content I specify will not always be the same type (we will cover mapping, items, NPC balance, combat balance, etc). 

**You do not require any ability to program, draw or compose music**, and I will **never** set tasks that depend on this.

Timeline of events
 - I'll announce the rules/limits each Saturday. From then on, you are free to work on and submit your entry.
 - The deadline will be the following Thursday. No more entries can be accepted beyond that point. A poll will open.
 - The poll will close on Saturday, and the winner would be announced alongside the next set of rules/limits.

The prize? Well, I guess bragging rights can do for now. This is purely for fun in the hopes of improving your skills in the specified area.

**I ask that you please do not post in this thread. I will be creating separate threads for submissions, discussions and voting, and I would like to leave this thread to post only each weeks rules in.**

Hope you have fun!

**Carim's Content Contest #1**

**Type**: Mapping
**Submission Deadline**: 7th Jan

**Requirements/Limitations**:

* Map must be between 14x14 and 26x26 tiles
* Map must use this tileset, no other tiles are allowed: http://toen.itch.io/toens-medieval-strategy
* At least one edge must be ocean.
* You cannot submit more than 3 maps.

**Example Maps**:
![](https://img.itch.io/aW1hZ2UvMzExNTQvMTMxNzMwLnBuZw==/347x500/%2BE3b%2FN.png)

**Suggestions**:

* Post-process your map! You are welcome to add lighting or weather effects.
* This is purely a mapping contest, so you can use any map editor you like. If you prefer to use Tiled/Ogmo/etc, do so.
* The tileset provided is intended for strategy games. You can derive inspiration from visually/functionally similar games such as Fire Emblem, Advance Wars.
* The map size given is small, but this should allow you to display focal points of the map. You're given a strategy tileset, so use elements associated with strategy games (chokepoints, vantage points, kiting, etc.)
* Think about how your map would play if you were to place units around it. If your map encourages turtling, it could do with improvements/redesigns.

Have fun!