Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse Mega

Ertzel

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've decided to say duck the quest system converting and am now working on my own custom quest system.

I started today by creating the quest editor. Below is a first-draft of what it should look like

>! ![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/d500344095fad15e17493d891db123ff.png)

You will be able to check for items, levels, resources, other quests and quest steps and player switches (from the event system)

You can then be rewarded items, resources or experience.

Missions are what the quest will ask you to do. You can make it ask for you to kill a certain amount of a mob, bring back a certain item (and amount of item) or resource (and amount of resource) or to go to a map and come back.

Then on the main part of the quest editor you can set the quest title (to show up in the quest log) and the total steps for the quest (can go up to 255 steps for one quest) Then you move the Step scrollbar below Total Steps to pick which step you are working on in the editor (and obviously steps will go up to the total steps)

You can also set the dialog box's text and log for each step. Finally the Frames combo box is to select which frame you will see (Between Requirements, Rewards and Missions).

The frames will stay how they look now in the picture while your in the editor so nothing overlaps. When the frmEditor_Quest is opened it will condense the window to it's correct size and move the appropriate frame (selected with the Frames box) into the spot where you see Requirements in the image.

I know it looks like Aalatars quest system in some parts (partially because I copied the GUI look for some frames) but this will be all new code and not using any of the old codes for this system.

> You know what would be great? Quest Chains. ![:D](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.png)

What do you mean by quest chains? You can have steps in one quest require steps from another quest to be completed already so all quests can be linked together.

As for Jontantor's post. I have no plans on adding those things to EM.

> What do you mean by quest chains? You can have steps in one quest require steps from another quest to be completed already so all quests can be linked together.
>
> As for Jontantor's post. I have no plans on adding those things to EM.

I meant like you complete one quest and the quest giver gives you another.

Ah, so like an option to go right into another quest and quest stage right from your quest?

I can look into adding something like that. Like a QuestAfter option or something… That way one NPC could be used to hand out a bunch of quests all in an order instead of just 1 quest per NPC.

> Ah, so like an option to go right into another quest and quest stage right from your quest?
>
> I can look into adding something like that. Like a QuestAfter option or something… That way one NPC could be used to hand out a bunch of quests all in an order instead of just 1 quest per NPC.

Yea, kinda.

Like for example guy gives you quest to kill 5 bats, you complete it, hand it in and then the same guy gives you another quest to kill boss or something.

> Oh, you can easily do that with the way I'm handling the quests. Quests can have up to 255 tasks in them. So say task 1 is to kill 5 bats, task 2 can be to kill the boss, task 3 can be to kill the next boss and on and on….

Oh, that is cool.

Is there a option to give you reward for completing one of those tasks so I could reward player when he actually completes the part of the quest and not the whole chain?

You will be able to give out a reward on each step if you want. So ya, you could do it so once the that step is complete they get a reward and then once they kill the boss they get another reward. Rewards will not be linked at all with actually finishing the quest really as you can add them to any step.

Also if you look at the image I posted of the editor, under the Requirements frame where it says Quest: None twice the bottom one will be used for quest steps and the top one for quest numbers. So you can require any portion of any quest to be done for one of your tasks.

Change in plans with the quest system a little. Instead of 255 possible steps and 255 possible rewards, requirements you can now only have 55 steps and 30 rewards items/resources and requirement items/resources. It is still a lit more then normal quest systems and should be enough to complete any quests people would need in a game. Making them all 255 made the quest rec WAY over 64k in size (Just doing 55 steps and 30 of each of the others was still over 64k or doing more then 40 of rewards and requirements) so it was to big for the engine to handle.

I don't see why 55 would be to small for anything people would be doing with the quest system though because you can still link quests to each other through the requirements. This would just limit the size of a long continues quest NPC.

**[EDIT]**

Finished up 98% of the client side coding for the editors. Just need to finish up some of the packet handling client side then I'll start on server side coding. The editor was a female dog to put together and I re-wrote it like 8 times to get my steps working and easier to understand the setup for people to edit in the source.

> Change in plans with the quest system a little. Instead of 255 possible steps and 255 possible rewards, requirements you can now only have 55 steps and 30 rewards items/resources and requirement items/resources. It is still a lit more then normal quest systems and should be enough to complete any quests people would need in a game. Making them all 255 made the quest rec WAY over 64k in size (Just doing 55 steps and 30 of each of the others was still over 64k or doing more then 40 of rewards and requirements) so it was to big for the engine to handle.
>
> I don't see why 55 would be to small for anything people would be doing with the quest system though because you can still link quests to each other through the requirements. This would just limit the size of a long continues quest NPC.
>
> **[EDIT]**
>
> Finished up 98% of the client side coding for the editors. Just need to finish up some of the packet handling client side then I'll start on server side coding. The editor was a female dog to put together and I re-wrote it like 8 times to get my steps working and easier to understand the setup for people to edit in the source.

When are you going to be done with the quest system and put for download?

No Idea. I have a lot of shit to do outside of EM coding and only work on EM to give myself a break from other things randomly throughout the day. The whole quest system re-write is a pretty big project and something I've never tried before and I want to make sure its right before sending out any links for it.