Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclopti Rekindled

Exception

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> I read that, and I should tell you: that's not a bug. The taking away label wasn't made to check if there's less of it; that's what conditional branches are for. Although, if an option to check for items doesn't exist (Lemme go check.), then I'll add that.
>
> As for ACTUAL bugs that I find, then, of course, they'll be fixed.

Yeah I said it was, "(more like something not thought about during coding)" because I feel like a check should be there but wasn't added and was not thought about while coding so I would consider that a bug. But if you're adding a check, then thanks!

I haven't touched any structures, yet. If you're using a base EO3, or any other engine that's also not changed the structures, you can just copy and paste 'em in.

If they have changed it, then, you can either do one of three things; 1) Add the commits to your own engine. They're as commits and not incremental updates for a reason, so that they're accessible for users to pick and choose what they want., 2) Wait for me to make a multi-purpose converter, or make your own (Or use Alatar's one), 3) Manually port the changes.

If you tell me the engine you're using, I'll be able to tell you if your data is convertible, and if you feel that you just want to add the commits to your own engine, but are having trouble, just PM me, and I wouldn't mind pasting them in for you. ;>

> I haven't touched any structures, yet. If you're using a base EO3, or any other engine that's also not changed the structures, you can just copy and paste 'em in.
>
> If they have changed it, then, you can either do one of three things; 1) Add the commits to your own engine. They're as commits and not incremental updates for a reason, so that they're accessible for users to pick and choose what they want., 2) Wait for me to make a multi-purpose converter, or make your own (Or use Alatar's one), 3) Manually port the changes.
>
> If you tell me the engine you're using, I'll be able to tell you if your data is convertible, and if you feel that you just want to add the commits to your own engine, but are having trouble, just PM me, and I wouldn't mind pasting them in for you. ;>

Okay thanks! I'm using EO3.

Ah ok cheers.

Reading through his commits. I have a query.

I originally was going to use Integers to store numbers as I thought they would be better than Longs, which I notice you have gone through and changed.

Before I made the alteration though I thought I would do some digging and came across this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/aa164754(v=office.10).aspx

I am still not sure if Integer's would be a performance boost over Long's. Any input?

Integers are a 16 bit value in VB6, whereas Longs are 32 bit. This has changed in .NET where Integers are 32 bit and Longs are 64\. So basically using Longs is faster, as they do not need to be converted over to a 32 bit value before calculating.

More or less, so, it's a matter of whether you want to optimise on memory, or processing. For now, my main aim is to focus on memory, as people often seem to have a far worse RAM in proportion to their processor, however, you're free to just not copy the commits over. It's exactly decisions like this why ER exists as commits, and not versions, so people can choose what they want.

> Integers are a 16 bit value in VB6, whereas Longs are 32 bit. This has changed in .NET where Integers are 32 bit and Longs are 64\. So basically using Longs is faster, as they do not need to be converted over to a 32 bit value before calculating.

> More or less, so, it's a matter of whether you want to optimise on memory, or processing. For now, my main aim is to focus on memory, as people often seem to have a far worse RAM in proportion to their processor.

Thanks for this.

Since I got taught the basics of VB I have always used Integers and due to that reason I wanted to convert several longs to Integers but was not sure on the reason behind the usage of longs so decided to check first. Very good point RE: Ram situation vs CPU.

Not necessarily. I want to see what can be changed into bytes first, but anything calculation oriented that cannot be a byte will be stuck as a long. Anything that simply holds values, or is sparingly used in calculations etc, but needs to be larger then a byte will be made integers (unless they need to exceed 2 ^16 - 1), but I doubt the latter will happen.

That way, I can be as memory and processor efficient as viable possible, without steering too heavily towards prioritising memory efficiency. I know I said my main aim is toward optimising memory, but that doesn't mean to say that I abandon optmising on processing.

Well, this is defenitely the Custom Version I like the most, because others are slow as heck and have tons of tutorials which slows things down, its a very good idea to optimize the base. ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)

Ok Champion Iris, that makes sense now. I got a bit confused.

I'm not the greatest programmer and am just about getting my head around this stuff as its been ages since I used to use VB.

I'm using the old EcliOpti base you and Stein started with, and have since made some alterations and am following this as I will probably upgrade when you release a "stable" edition. But am checking your repository regularly for updates and following your optimisations where possible. (have yet to change the rendering code)