Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Integrating Voice Chat using DX8 (EA)

dynamixcore

It's possible using BASS and FMOD. To my knowledge, it's not possible with DirectSound8, although, I could be wrong, or it may be a part of the DirectPlay API (If it was even a part of DirectX8, can't actually remember).

I tried it with FMOD, and it was quite laggy, and stopped the thread of execution repeatedly. I imagine it doesn't have use in a game, or at least, in a programming language that doesn't support multi-threading (sigh).

When I get home later, I'll try it with BASS, and tell you how that goes, although, judging that streaming from the internet stopped the thread of execution, too, I'm not riding too much hopes on it.

I don't see the point when you can simply get a free program to do it for you.

It'll just strain the connection even more, and imagine doing this on a global scale in the entire game.. X amount of people constantly chattering about something you don't care about or don't need to hear on the other side of the game world, some idiots yelling in Arabic, a spanish dude and some Dutch kid yelling all sorts of obscenities. Yeah, no thank you. I'll stick with a Teamspeak/Ventrilo/Raidcall server.