Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Webdesign Contest - 13y1w

AeroEBrown

Design a Website, built around an Indie Game.

Description:

Build a website, from scratch, to present an independently-developed video game to an audience. This should be a template that can be featured around a specific niche, or not. It can be as generic or specific as you like, however it should contain placeholders for some general information. (Independently-developed game means a game that was designed by one person, or a small team. This does NOT include games created by corporate entities.)

Placeholders:

->Search Bar (Does NOT need to work)

->Media/Gallery (Should feature demo images/videos)

->Download Link(s), or Play Now Link(s) (Can redirect to nothingness)

->Forum Link(s) (Can redirect to nothingness again)

->Twitter Tweets (Can have example tweets)

->Facebook Page (No actual page, just the fake link to a page)

->Twitter Tag (No actual tag, just the fake @TagName)

->Privacy Policy (This should be somewhat real, and at the very least say "We will not redistribute your information without your permission." or such)

->Terms and Conditions (Basically, Rules)

->Link to Youtube Page (Again, fake link)

->RSS Feed (This should feature some demo content)

->Language Changer (This should be another demo language changer)

->Featured image/video on splash-page (Can be a demo image or video)

Rules:

->No Templates may be used, this includes ANY premade HTML or CSS templates.

->The only pre-made CSS they may be used are fonts from the Google-Fonts API.

->Javascript Frameworks may be used, as this is NOT a Web-Programming Contest.

->You may replace the placeholders with real content, however you may NOT use a starting point.

->You must have all of the placeholders or real content for the placeholders in your template.

Submitting:

All entry's are required to be submitted by 16 March 2013, at 10:00 PM UTC.

All entry's should be submitted to me in PM with a link to the site. If you cannot host the site yourself, simply send me a .zip, .tar.gz, .tar.bz2 or .rar of the site, and I will upload it to my own host. Any entries not submitted in a PM will not be graded.

Prizes:

First Place:

->One (1) year of free hosting with five MySQL databases and full FTP access to your site. (Hosted on a subdomain of your choice, featuring a root domain of either evbpc.com, mavraengine.com, or glaciate.net.)

->$60 USD

Second Place:

->Six (6) months of free hosting with five MySQL databases and full FTP access to your site. (Hosted on a subdomain of your choice, featuring a root domain of either evbpc.com, mavraengine.com, or glaciate.net.)

->$40 USD

Third Place:

->Three (3) months of free hosting with five MySQL databases and full FTP access to your site. (Hosted on a subdomain of your choice, featuring a root domain of either evbpc.com, mavraengine.com, or glaciate.net.)

->$20 USD

Rubric:

Judging will commence in four (4) categories:

->Compatibility: The website will need to work properly in Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10, Firefox 17, Google Chrome Latest, and Opera 12.12.

->Visual Appeal: The website will be judged on how aesthetically pleasing it is to the user.

->Accessibility: The website will be judged on how accessible it is to mobile devices, and tablet devices. It will also need to have ALT tags defined for any HTML images.

->Specification: The website will need to be fully valid in the version of HTML or XHTML and CSS that you select. Valid versions are HTML 4.01, HTML 5, XHTML 1.0, XHTML 1.1, and XHTML Basic 1.1\. You can select any of the sub-sets. (Strict, Transitional or Frameset) You should select a valid Doctype from [http://www.w3.org/QA…d-dtd-list.html](http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html) to complete the validity. This also includes any necessary Meta Tages to pass W3C validation.

If you have any questions, please contact me by either posting here, or sending me a PM.

Edit: Jowd has agreed to offer a third option into the domain pool, glaciate.net.

Edit 2: Side note: I will be using [http://nibbler.silktide.com/](http://nibbler.silktide.com/) and other similar tools to get a feel for the basics of how well you designed your site, so the higher points you get there the better off your starting points will be. I will MAINLY be using Meta-Tags, Media-Types, Feeds, Headings, Links, Images and Code-Quality from that particular tool. So the better those categories are, the better you start at.

Additional Thanks:

DrSean: Donation to prize fund.

Thanks,

EBrown

> Sorry, but those prizes are not good enough. One year of webhosting for webdesign and coding? What… no.. just no.

That's fine. If you don't want to participate, I'm sorry.

I haven't yet talked to Marsh to work-out more possible prizes, but if you all want to just assume that this is all that will be offered and not enter because of that, that's fine.

Thanks,

EBrown

> Man, just entering and maybe getting first should be enough. You greedy or something?

Pro webdevs can get thousands of dollars for a site. If he's actually really good, there's no reason to enter.

I might enter. Can I have no placeholders, and instead actually have the website be for the game I'm working on? Also, can I use wordpress or less.js or similar frameworks?

Any information on what the RSS feed should have in it? Just a standard blog? Sorry I'm not too sharp on what RSS feeds are.

> Pro webdevs can get thousands of dollars for a site. If he's actually really good, there's no reason to enter.
>
> I might enter. Can I have no placeholders, and instead actually have the website be for the game I'm working on? Also, can I use wordpress or less.js or similar frameworks?
>
> Any information on what the RSS feed should have in it? Just a standard blog? Sorry I'm not too sharp on what RSS feeds are.

"**Build** a website, **from scratch**" - First Post, EBrown.

1) Build, not edit.

2) From scratch, not an existing framework.

> Pro webdevs can get thousands of dollars for a site. If he's actually really good, there's no reason to enter.
>
> I might enter. Can I have no placeholders, and instead actually have the website be for the game I'm working on? Also, can I use wordpress or less.js or similar frameworks?
>
> Any information on what the RSS feed should have in it? Just a standard blog? Sorry I'm not too sharp on what RSS feeds are.

You CAN have it be FOR the game, however you may NOT use a starting point.

As for Frameworks, I will ALLOW javascript frameworks. However I will NOT allow any CSS or HTML templates or frameworks, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE TWITTER BOOTSTRAP. I am only allowing Javascript Frameworks as this is a Web-Design Contest, not Web-Programming.

The RSS feed should be a generic feed, you can steal the design from a Wordpress blog or something, but the purpose is to have you do research on how RSS works. Web-Designers should be able to know how to generate a feed from their content.

Thanks,

EBrown

> You CAN have it be FOR the game, however you may NOT use a starting point.
>
> As for Frameworks, I will ALLOW javascript frameworks. However I will NOT allow any CSS or HTML templates or frameworks, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE TWITTER BOOTSTRAP. I am only allowing Javascript Frameworks as this is a Web-Design Contest, not Web-Programming.
>
> The RSS feed should be a generic feed, you can steal the design from a Wordpress blog or something, but the purpose is to have you do research on how RSS works. Web-Designers should be able to know how to generate a feed from their content.
>
> Thanks,
>
> EBrown

cool, I'll probably enter then.

> So do all of the images used on the site have to be custom made by us also? I might look into joining this but I fail horribly at graphics and if I have to make them and they are being judged they will make me lose by default lol.

Any style images should be, however you can use patterned backgrounds from somewhere else if necessary.

Any of the required placeholder images do not need to be custom. Those can be stock photos, as they are simply to show where content belongs.

Thanks,

EBrown

• 2 weeks later...
> You said that it could be as generic or specific as we'd like. Does this have to be for a specific indie game? Or can we simply make a webby with a fake title - one that still is designed for a game, though.

Well the Indie part is pretty much required. You're not making a corporate site.

> Independently-developed game means a game that was designed by one person, or a small team. This does NOT include games created by corporate entities.
>
> Thanks,
>
> EBrown

Well yes, but seeing as I don't have my own game, I was wondering if I could simply make a generic, fake game's website? I would just make the logo say "IndieGame", or something like that. Lemme know your thoughts.

> Well yes, but seeing as I don't have my own game, I was wondering if I could simply make a generic, fake game's website? I would just make the logo say "IndieGame", or something like that. Lemme know your thoughts.

Yes! Absolutely! That's actually what the "Placeholders" are.

I'm sorry, I misinterpreted you. ![:(](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.png) But yes, you can make a "Fake Game" or w/e.

Thanks,

EBrown

I just want to get it done as soon as possible, because I'm busy enough as it is, and don't need this hanging over my head. I've already got the index layout coded out. I've definitely been plowing through it at good pace.