Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Flame Board"?

azkanan

Should we have a flame board? A place where people can piss and moan at each other?

pros

- Experimental possibility to circumvent people's rage/sarcasm seeping out into random places in the forum/the shoutbox.

- A place for people to piss and moan about everyday events.

- A place for people to piss and moan about hot topics.

- A place for people to piss and moan about recent bannings, mutings, and other interpersonal events in the forum.

cons

- Can be seen as promoting antagonistic behaviour in the community.

Yeah, the big picture is that topics are permanent and can be searched for; shoutbox posts are temporary and cannot be searched for. The forums, if used correctly, are by far the better solution for any type of support. People seem to forget that Private Messaging DOES exist here, and so does Skype, AIM, and other alternative mediums that can be used for communicating effectively.

> Might I suggest, a "Flame Zone" board. A board where users can piss and moan about each other in. I've been pushing for this every few months in this place… We had one in an old forum I used to haunt, we used it for hot topics such as religion, politics and general arguments we had with each other. As a result, every other part of the forum was clean of hate, really.

Sounds awesome. ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)

> Might I suggest, a "Flame Zone" board. A board where users can piss and moan about each other in. I've been pushing for this every few months in this place… We had one in an old forum I used to haunt, we used it for hot topics such as religion, politics and general arguments we had with each other. As a result, every other part of the forum was clean of hate, really.

Why on earth would you promote that type of organizational behavior to begin with? That's the root of the problem and it needs to go bye-bye. Debating is one thing; flaming, antagonizing, or deliberately instigating arguments is another.

If you try and quash any human behaviour, you either drive people away, or it seeps out as ugly toxic waste. We're not promoting it, we're giving it a bin.

If it's successful and reduces human antagonisation on the forum, success.

If it fails, we remove the board.

What have we to lose?

> If you try and quash any human behaviour, you either drive people away, or it seeps out as ugly toxic waste. We're not promoting it, we're giving it a bin.
>
> If it's successful and reduces human antagonisation on the forum, success.
>
> If it fails, we remove the board.
>
> What have we to lose?

The solution is already evident. You mute and/or ban transgressors. You clean the organization from the inside out and teach people how to communicate rationally by providing adequate examples of the desired behavior. Positive reinforcement comes to mind as well; rewarding those who are helpful and polite while punishing those who are the opposite.

So when people argue, we abuse them? Smacking a child across the face every time we mouths off **WILL** teach him to shut up - but it also causes psychological triggers. ie, toxic waste that seeps out, as I said. That's when things get petty, and people feel like they've been picked on, admins are abusing their powers, people become sarcastic, etc.

Meanwhile, give them a bin to piss in and they'll be right as rain everywhere else.

> I just think that allowing such a board could create more bad blood between the members of the forum… Sure, stuff may start in that board but if it gets so heated, it will go further than just that board in time...

The idea is, people have no excuse for bringing it **out** of the bin. As a result, we can then impliment heavier responses to people that do so. Instead of quashing bad behavior, we will be redirecting it. Instead of slapping and sealing a gasket on a pressurized pipe, we're installing an outlet.

> There is no reason, whatsoever, for anyone at any time to insult, berate, antagonize, or be deeming towards another individual. It's unacceptable. Period.

True, teens have to deal with that crap in school; I really don't think they have to be (defamed / degraded) here. The teens here are awesome, atleast doing something constructive rather than destructive. When I was 14/16… I was out on the streets, hanging around with wrong crowds, doing dumb crap..

> True, teens have to deal with that crap in school; I really don't think they have to be (defamed / degraded) here. The teens here are awesome, atleast doing something constructive rather than destructive. When I was 14/16… I was out on the streets, hanging around with wrong crowds, doing dumb crap..

Im 14, and i hate those "people" who should play with kids of their age, pick a fight, because they know they have backups, they just dont have honor anymore, thats why i would have loved to be bor in middle eve, at peast die by sword protecting my ideals, than dying by a fag that doesnt have any ideea what life really is…. Most of this generation suck, al that swag and... Bleah...anyway, the foru doesnt need to be a military base (like Bud's ideea) it should be like a scout camping ^^

Should we have a flame board? A place where people can piss and moan at each other?

pros

- Experimental possibility to circumvent people's rage/sarcasm seeping out into random places in the forum/the shoutbox.

- A place for people to piss and moan about everyday events.

- A place for people to piss and moan about hot topics.

- A place for people to piss and moan about recent bannings, mutings, and other interpersonal events in the forum.

cons

- Can be seen as promoting antagonistic behaviour in the community.

I honestly can't believe there is discussion of **more** moderation when this is one of the most heavily moderated communities I have ever experienced.

Multi-billion dollar companies don't restrain the actions of the members of their forums as much as this forum does despite the fact that if anything goes severely awry they will get sued for a hell of a lot more.

And they don't have to worry about losing good members of their community because they have tons - while this forum has very few and it scares off the few people who come here. "YOU SAID SHUT UP! OMG!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111one"

> I honestly can't believe there is discussion of **more** moderation when this is one of the most heavily moderated communities I have ever experienced.
>
> Multi-billion dollar companies don't restrain the actions of the members of their forums as much as this forum does despite the fact that if anything goes severely awry they will get sued for a hell of a lot more.
>
> And they don't have to worry about losing good members of their community because they have tons - while this forum has very few and it scares off the few people who come here. "YOU SAID SHUT UP! OMG!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111one"

No one, and I do mean NO ONE, has the right to tell anyone else to "shut up", especially those who are being advised that they're behavior is inappropriate. Military or not, this is "How to be a good human" 101.

> I personally slap warns on people who are being biggots/bullies/irrational insulters… I don't agree with muting/banning people for having a tiff, though. Arguing is human nature. Keep it under control, not under your heel.

If only you were the only moderator.

> No one, and I do mean NO ONE, has the right to tell anyone else to "shut up", especially those who are being advised that they're behavior is inappropriate. Military or not, this is "How to be a good human" 101.

I'm sorry daddy. Please don't spank me. I mean, in your scenario, I'm your 7 year old child, right?

> No one, and I do mean NO ONE, has the right to tell anyone else to "shut up", especially those who are being advised that they're behavior is inappropriate. Military or not, this is "How to be a good human" 101.

He does have a point, though. Slapping people around for misdemeanors is, well, humiliating.