Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Making my game P2P???

Gardon321

you could probably put in a script on login that if some "paid" variable doesnt = true then kick them. then you would have to change the variable for each person that does pay.

I doubt you'll get many people wanting to pay to play your game tho…
I wont even pay to play wow

@Bob:

> Steps:
> 1: Make an awesome game, 100% copyrighted, 100% custom and always moderated.
> 2: Open it for beta.
> 3: Open full version, after sorting out bugs.
> 4: Make pay to play, through source edits.

That's the best instructions I can think of too.

Also, though, there is a credit-system [**here**](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,5780.0.html), where a player can buy a "key" with real money, and use that key to get items and stuff in-game. Not really p2p, but thought I'd mention it

@shrig94:

> WOuld extra experience bonus be considered custom?

If you do that, you're making your game virtually another Maplestory… don't do it

I'm 14, I can't get a job cus I have to take care of my little sibling…MapleStory has p2 experience? Idk, never played the game...only saw the german kid and marveled at screenshots...I just saw a 3d game with p2 experience...I'm going with pay for expansions, and p2 experience and p for player houses...

One years away till a job. But seriously, if you're considering making your eclipse game p2p it has to be THAT good. You can't just say hey people subscribe for 12 dollars, and then ditch the game. A lot of people ditch their games, come back and start over again. So if you're doing this you have to give the people what they want for their money. Meaning, weekly updates, constant events, un-copyrighted material, etc. P2P Isn't a joke.

You cannot ask for money unless you make your own music and graphics.

Even then you could get sued by the MP3 patent. This patent disallows people to distribute their product using MP3 when they haven't paid and when their product has 5000 or more copies sold or downloaded. This patent although does not affect freeware. The license costs about 100 dollars.

OGG Vorbis is an alternative but you need to distribute the OGG Vorbis codecs with your game though.

GIF also has some patent if I'm right. But I don't think that would affect anything.

The money you get with your game also needs to go into maintenance costs.

e.g.: website, server, etc.

To get your game on the market you need the right marketing and advertising. This again costs a load of money.

Even then the change your game will get any popular is pretty low. You need to have good contents in order to do so. If you ever noticed, a game store has only about 500 games and not even that. Most games are older games. You need to have the right contacts to get to it. Most people even speak of a top 10 or top 20\. Even if you don't want to get to stores getting your game distributed will be hard. The change your website gets popular in Google is not very high. Your website requires SEO and activity and even then it might take several years to get on the first page.

Regards, Godlord.

yeah, we have custom graphics and are editing the source to have a skills system, we also are planning on adding more skills as more and more people join, we also have custom music and will eventually convert the game to C++… I think the team members have lots of potential. Currently we only have one person doing a lot of tile art, so we are going to need another tile artist...but evrything else is covered...2 scripters/source editors, sprite maker, music makers, mappers (may need one more when graphics are done), GUI artist, GFX artists (pretty much everyone has decent GFX art)...etc.

Modified my post in order you didn't read.

Oh and much luck with the C++ part. It takes a lot of time to write only a simple base. Even if you got a decent C++ programmer which are actually hard to get, especially on this forum.

It took me about two days to write my sound interface, rewritten once during those 2 days.

I still need to add 3D sound and OpenAL support.

It loads OGG Vorbis and that's all it can load, you can set the volume and panorama of each buffer, multiple sound support (multi-buffering), streaming, play/stop.

And that's mainly all.

Regards, Godlord.

Doesn't matter, I know about 300 high school kids who compete in comp. sci or play WoW or GW or MS, I'm sure they will join and advertise, I'm also going to use email and we have 9 members, who will all tell their friends…We are using this game as a base, we can hopefully make something better in a year or so...