Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

EE2.8 SpriteSheet Format

Homicidal Monkey

OK, just in case you did not know this by now, I'm working on redoing the graphics system of Eclipse for EE2.8\. So far everything is falling into place and its come to time to program Sprite frame sequence. Previous versions of Eclipse used 12 frame sprites.
So… Eclipse, should this be changed? And if so, to what?

Please keep this to discussing Spritesheet format ONLY. I will not answer any questions.

Eh, hopefully anything will have an option for those with already large spritesheets so they can choose whether or not they want to use that option.
Someone already deep in development may have a couple hundred sprites, and being forced to change format could be a tremendous task…

If I HAD to make a suggestion,keep it the same, just add an extra frame for attack for each direction.
Example
Up walk, upstand/midstep, upwalk, upattack, ect for each direction. So same for each direction, just an extra frame at end of each direction for an attack frame.

Though since few people use customs, this wouldnt help many people, so the "option" would be handy.

And add the lil source snippet that fixes walking to make it look natural(I saw it in the source snippet section) So you dont limp everywhere.

If it isnt optional though, besides that walking animation code snippet, maybe release also a version that uses the original method, to save people already deep in dev or those unable to sprite from problems?

Just my feedback anyways.

oh yea, homicidal monkey (I just realized, that i was gonna abbreviate that, but it turned into HoMo, roflmao) I have a 2.5 - 2.7 convert if you wanna use that to make a 2.5/6/7 - 2.8 converter, I set it up so you just have to plug in 2 modTypes and compile, very handy indeed.

Well spritesheet format should be great if it was:
Left Leg|Stand|Right Leg|Attack
and then the walking animation would be(switch between legs each tile)
Left Leg|Stand[NEXT TILE]RIght Leg|Stand
the spritesheet format can be converted with photoshop and grids in under 10 minutes

Wait, you're making a new spritesheet format?  Couldn't you store in one of the inis [serverside] to choose which spritesheet to use? Like

[SpriteSheet]
32x64=1
FRAME_12=0
FRAME_##=1

The FRAME_## being the number Homicidal chooses.
It would save time for some programmers to do that.  :P  your choice.

@Ze:

> Wait, you're making a new spritesheet format?  Couldn't you store in one of the inis [serverside] to choose which spritesheet to use? Like
>
> [SpriteSheet]
> 32x64=1
> FRAME_12=0
> FRAME_##=1
>
> The FRAME_## being the number Homicidal chooses.
> It would save time for some programmers to do that.  :P  your choice.

thats in it already. in Sprites.ini. Same thing for Tiles.ini.
```
[SheetNum#]
Width = #
Height = #

```

I think that more importantly than extra frames is just getting the current frames into a mathematical order so they can be stepped through easily.

NPCdir * 96 + frame(0-64 depending on animation frame).

I think rather than having additional character frames having a seperate attack sheet would be a smoother solution, with a setup similar to spells. This same effect can currently be created via scripts using custom spells and item checks and direction checks and things but is just plain messy.

Integrating a proper attack animation selection in item creation that linked to a sheet of attack animation effects would be awesome if done properly

It would be more suited to Eclipse to have 4 frames.

Left leg, Stand Still, Right leg, Attack.

I only have the attack frame doubling as the right leg because my sprites only have the walking frames, no attacking ones, and the attacking is usually shown to be happening by dropping a special effect on the NPC.

@Robin:

> It would be more suited to Eclipse to have 4 frames.
>
> Left leg, Stand Still, Right leg, Attack.
>
> I only have the attack frame doubling as the right leg because my sprites only have the walking frames, no attacking ones, and the attacking is usually shown to be happening by dropping a special effect on the NPC.

thats how I currently set up. Frames 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12 are movement, 13-16 are attack. Frames 2, 5, 8, 11 are transition frames. Attack animation uses attack frame and transition frame. Movement uses movement frame1, transition frame, movement frame2, transition frame, movement frame1.

• 1 month later...