Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lack of hosts?

anasky

I've seen several topics with: Looking for Hoster for GameX.
Well, I'm thinking of making a hosting service at like 2gb RAM, around 320gb HD and a high internet speed for these prices:

> Costs of Player Slots (all prices are in EURO):
> For less then 10 people: 50cent each slot
> For 10 to 20 people: 40cent each slot
> For 21 to 30 people: 35cent each slot
> For 31 to 40 people: 30cent each slot
> For 41 to 50 people: 25cent each slot
> For more then 50 people: 20cent each slot

Just tell me if you like it or not. F.e.: would you choose for 8 or 10 guys? Both are 4 euro. Would you choose for 40guys for 12euro or 51 guys for 10.2euro?

Anasky

ok lol
But if you count everything out, you can have 51 people for 10euro 20cent, and 40 people for 12euro, these are reasonable prices, if you realise that I have to pay 30-40 month just for getting the server running (power, purchase) etc.

@anasky:

> MAX_PLAYERS
>
> Each +1 is a player slot
> F.e. MAX_PLAYERS: 5 means you pay for 5 player slots.
> Get it? :P

Look, i could extend max players to 6000, but ultimately only a few will turn up online, so you'll have to give people a 1 month trial and check how many people showed up online on the game on an average/

well thats why you start with a minimum that you expect then work your way up as needed.

if you purchase for 15 and get 50… the only way to know is by him glancing at the server player lists...
so if you are getting more than you pay for he will either discontnue you and/or request you pay more.

Seems a bit complex, seeing as a lot of problems may occur. But it's not unlike other hosting companies with websites/palaces/games. Free hosts are hard to come by, you usually don't find them, that or they are insanely picky on who they will host (Which can be totally understandable). But it may work out, good luck :P

- Inception.

@V-Rage:

> Look, i could extend max players to 6000, but ultimately only a few will turn up online, so you'll have to give people a 1 month trial and check how many people showed up online on the game on an average/

If I would give them a 1 month free trial, I keep getting hooked up with people hosting for a month, then say nah, and stick me with the charges of the host…

@FS:CG :

> link=topic=33170.msg303662#msg303662 date=1225310341]
> well thats why you start with a minimum that you expect then work your way up as needed.
>
> if you purchase for 15 and get 50… the only way to know is by him glancing at the server player lists...
> so if you are getting more than you pay for he will either discontnue you and/or request you pay more.

That was my mention.

@DrNova:

> Sounds like a poor concept to me, for many reasons I wont go into.

Hmmm, mind to call 1? I'm trying to get people hosting services for less then they can at the internet by sharing the costs.

@Inception:

> Seems a bit complex, seeing as a lot of problems may occur. But it's not unlike other hosting companies with websites/palaces/games. Free hosts are hard to come by, you usually don't find them, that or they are insanely picky on who they will host (Which can be totally understandable). But it may work out, good luck :P
>
> - Inception.

Problems like?

Anasky

@Ninja-Tech:

> wait so it costs to host ur own game…wat? last time i hosted my game i didnt hav to pay i just ran the server from my computer

Well, yea, but does it have 4gb RAM, 320gb HD (Which it is going to have)?
Sure, you can host from your house, but not everybody can.
F.e.: your dad wouldn't let you, or you can't have a pc running 24/7.

@anasky:

> Well, yea, but does it have 4gb RAM, 320gb HD (Which it is going to have)?
> Sure, you can host from your house, but not everybody can.
> F.e.: your dad wouldn't let you, or you can't have a pc running 24/7.

My work computer can own yours xD

@V-Rage:

> My work computer can own yours xD

Comparing a server with a workstation is one of the lamest things I've ever seen, epic fail for you.

> F.e.

I don't think that is a correct abbreviation, it's e.g. (exempli gratia), as far as I know.

Regards,
  Goddie, the Irresistible.

@codemeister1990:

> I use i.e. personally, don't know if that's right or anything

i.e. is id est (or Internet Explorer, very funny) which means that is (very literally) or in other words, it used to explain something.

Regards,
  Goddie, the Irresistible.

wow…background of the forums just changed  :O
they should have done it at 12:01 AM...
anyways, I'll always host a game myself
If I couldn't host it, I'd get a friend to or something
I was hesitant on even applying to a free host (which I ended up not doing)
I figure its more convenient and more comforting knowing I have complete control (I'm not a control freak, it is something I've put like...1000 hours into). It's hard to trust a complete stranger with that kinda data.
So I'd definitely never PAY for some stranger to host my game