Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Distant Backgrounds and more

Infinite

Dear Developers,

I have another question concerning the graphics. I decided to start a different thread since my older one went off topic and didn't want this question to be overlooked. Please no 'use search' answers only serious posts. Thank you.

My question: Is it possible to create an environment background like seen below? Players can walk to the edge of a map and see the distance. (I know this next question might be pushing it) Is it possible for users to walk side to side with the 'background' image moving at a slower rate from side to side to make it appear '3d' in a sense, a lot like how cartoons do it today.

Also, is it possible to cut up an image in 100s of tiles for it to be placed in the map editor and appear very detailed like the one below? Perhaps you can direct me to a direct url that explains the tiles.

![](http://kelownajediguy.com/nostalequestion.jpg)
_example purposes only_

I appreciate your help and in depth answers. I look forward to your responses!Ā  :cheesy:

Respectfully,
Infinite

you can have a tile apper for a couple seconds, then have it go away after a certain amount of time. It would be a very long code, but it can be done with scripting. It might look a little choopy. Like have a tile apper for 20seonds, then disapperā€¦for another 20seonds and have it move across the screen. But like I said, a very long code.

Thank you for your quick responses.Ā  :)

Anna Comnena: How does that background work and how large can I make it?

My other question still needs to be answered, for the walking area where the toon is standing just before the background, can each of these tiles be chopped up and aligned in the editor so that it looks like the screenshot above?

Thanks again,

Well, the "background" would just be fixed tiles. The only problem with doing that sort of thing is you need several background images taking up large portions of your tileset files. But it's not too bad, place the backgrounds down as ground layer, then the ledges or anything that define the playable area of the map, put as mask.

@Anna:

> Well, the "background" would just be fixed tiles. The only problem with doing that sort of thing is you need several background images taking up large portions of your tileset files. But it's not too bad, place the backgrounds down as ground layer, then the ledges or anything that define the playable area of the map, put as mask.

You my friend are awesome. Thank you :) What is the tileset file limit? Is it possible to have 100s? Will check responses tomorrow!Ā  :cool:

@Anna:

> Tiles0.bmp - Tiles9.bmp, unfortunately. You can make the tileset files larger though if you want. You will probably have to crop the background images in half to fit them, but as long as they are aligned with the tileset you can seamlessly place the portions together on the map.

Excellent, makes sense. Is there a way to increase the amount of tilesets? From what I understand Tiles0.bmp - Tiles9.bmp are the allowed amount of tiles for the whole game rather than each map, correct?

Thank you Anna you have been very informative. :hello2:

@Gh0st:

> Um yeahā€¦ the whole moving slower thing for the background instead of the foreground... sounds like a major source edit.

Not too much, but yes, its a source edit.

You will need too :

- Setup a new layer and have it be put down before all others.
- Have it rendered locally, so that its specific for the player.
- Easiest way is to have it rendered 50% of the distance between mid way horizontally and the player.
- It will need to be larger tahn the screen itself, so a couple of extra tiles in either direction.

ok, maybe a little large.

@Fulou:

> Not too much, but yes, its a source edit.
>
> You will need too :
>
> - Setup a new layer and have it be put down before all others.
> - Have it rendered locally, so that its specific for the player.
> - Easiest way is to have it rendered 50% of the distance between mid way horizontally and the player.
> - It will need to be larger than the screen itself, so a couple of extra tiles in either direction.
>
> ok, maybe a little large.

You answered my question, it is possible however only through a lot of edits to the source and testing. I still have this question which still needs to be answered:

"Is there a way to increase the amount of tilesets? From what I understand Tiles0.bmp - Tiles9.bmp are the allowed amount of tiles for the whole game rather than each map, correct?" I now understand that the amount of the tiles is for the whole game, however is there a way to increase the amount of tiles allowed?

Also, what programing languages does this engine use? I heard something about Java and Visual Basic. What should I concentrate more on learning in order to do edits to the source and adding game features?

Thank you :)

You cannot add more then 10 tile sets without the source. Though in 3.0 you can have a unlimited amount of tile sets. The engine uses visual basic 6\. The server was just ported to java and homicidal plans on moving the client to java after 3.0.

@Marsh:

> You cannot add more then 10 tile sets without the source. Though in 3.0 you can have a unlimited amount of tile sets. The engine uses visual basic 6\. The server was just ported to java and homicidal plans on moving the client to java after 3.0.

Marsh: Thank you for answering my questions. This has really been informative and cleared things up.

In response to what you said, "homicidal plans on moving the client to java after 3.0." I am assuming it is not possible to transfer a game built upon V3.0 to transfer over to the java engine. Am I correct?

Thanks again.Ā  :cool:

@Fulou:

> porting to java?! I take it by the term "Port" you mean running the exe in a java app and not re-writing the whole darn thing?

Thats correct. Rewritting the whole darn thing would be a real darn pain :)

I want to run through the basics of learning how to script/code in java and VB did it many years ago in highschool uhh that was quite a long time ago.

Any suggestions?

@Infinite:

> Thats correct. Rewritting the whole darn thing would be a real darn pain :)
>
> I want to run through the basics of learning how to script/code in java and VB did it many years ago in highschool uhh that was quite a long time ago.
>
> Any suggestions?

Consult a doctor ;)