Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thinking about going gold but first some questions.

dariken

Like the title says I need to know some things before forking over 60 bucks?

1.Will I have to pay for future versions or can I upgrade to them for free?

2.If something goes wrong with my computer and I have to re install the program do I have to re buy it?

3.If I pay out 5 bucks a month to have my game hosted on this site's servers will my data be backed up as well?

4.Can you make group based missions such as raids and if so up to how many people can take part in them?

5.How much can I do with this program without any scripting knowledge?

6.Wil rpg maker xp sprites work with this?   I noticed the sprite format looks the same.

That is all for now.

i agree with dax on the first half of his answer, HOWEVER, i disagree with the bottom half.

"learn to (ACTUALLY) program". i take it you don't think vb6 is not a language? also what does date have to do with how good the "language" is? 

"you do the second set of steps and you will be far better off in the long run!" i am going to take it that because it's made in vb6, it's not good?

lol sorry im confused by your statements

Sincerely,

Growlith1223

If you lack the time to study programming in any language to make a game, I'd say buy it. Its the far most easiest way to create a simple game just for a fun. If you ever want to get serious like this guys who tell you to learn how to program, then it will open up doors to creating a game how you want it to be. I'd myself would recommend it if you want to get serious. I personally started out using rpg maker for the playstation to get a feel on how creating a game feels like. I later moved on to the pc version and began having a fascination to people who can create there games by just writing it. When being a total beginner at this, the silver and gold version should be perfect to work with. I can understand that the gold version isn't worth getting for some programmers who think they can do better, but I think getting the gold version will help keep the site up for more support from it's official engine or custom engine developers as well as introducing more capability.

If you want to make a simple, yet fun game just to get a feel for an actual game, then I still would not recommend buying gold of silver. Learning to program in vb6 would allow you to enhance your copy of the eclipse source. Buying gold or silver would cost you money and you wont learn **** , plus what happens when the developers (witch they will) stop making builds and supporting the engine. Then all users of the engine are ******. Plus using visual basic 6 to make your game is very unprofessional from the standpoint of the developers….If you dont understand what I mean by that then you will never know......besides. What successful game is made with an open source, vb6 engine......

Well a couple of days ago I was gonna get this no doubts about it but seeing as how enemies can't cast spells meaning you can't have real boss fights is a turn off.   How could the leave out such a basic feature?   I want to make battles that encourage group combat like raids but how am I supposed to do that without enemies that cast spells and pose a real threat

> Well a couple of days ago I was gonna get this no doubts about it but seeing as how enemies can't cast spells meaning you can't have real boss fights is a turn off.   How could the leave out such a basic feature?   I want to make battles that encourage group combat like raids but how am I supposed to do that without enemies that cast spells and pose a real threat

Keep in mind that the engine is fairly new. Just because there isn't on currently doesn't mean it will never be one. As you said its a basic feature so chances are its gonna be implemented in a later version

> Well a couple of days ago I was gonna get this no doubts about it but seeing as how enemies can't cast spells meaning you can't have real boss fights is a turn off.   How could the leave out such a basic feature?   I want to make battles that encourage group combat like raids but how am I supposed to do that without enemies that cast spells and pose a real threat

Crank their other stats up so that they hit harder, take less damage, and have massive HP

> Keep in mind that the engine is fairly new. Just because there isn't on currently doesn't mean it will never be one. As you said its a basic feature so chances are its gonna be implemented in a later version

exactly theres alot to come this is only 4.1… i think there will atleast be a 4.5 or higher so you never know just gotta wait and see

> Is there a way to show the map coordinates when making a warp event?   Also how do I make a game starting point for the player to start at when they first play the game?

Yes, you can get coords - on the admin panel there is a check box that says "Location" - check it and then on the game screen your coords will show up.

As for the starting point, in your server files there is a file called spawn.ini - that is the file that controls where your characters spawn.  It's where they go when they're first created, as well as when they die.  I'm not sure if / how you can set it so that starting off you go to one area, and dying takes you to another.  I'll have to leave that for someone that knows more about it to answer.

Eventing. You can setup checkpoints in your game via switches and then on the spawn map have an automatic event (parallel process) that simply checks the switches and warps the player elseware. (Same solution for different class spawns). It isn't an "official" way but it does work quiet well :D.

• 2 weeks later...
To all of your questions, it seems to me you **should** upgrade to Gold.

In terms of the raid (which is the most integral point of your question) and also this is a question about EO, not the gold platform.

Anyway, I'm not sure the exact way to do so.. But you'd have a script that refrences to another one, 3-4 times per player.

For example, it'd check to see how many players on this quest/dungeon.. It'd then create that many processes.

The only thing about this, it'd be hard to have them all attack the same NPC/Kill the same MOB.

I'm not the only one who has though of this method and I'm sure if you search around you'll be able to find someone to help.