Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My first sprite!

Bad_Zephyr

Hey ya'll. Right now all I have is the outline. This is just a rough draft. I'll be updating this as I improve it. I already see some stuff I wanna fix, but besides that I just wanted to see what ya'll thought so far  :azn:

![](http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/3187/picture8e.png)
![](http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4025/picture7tbp.png)

Bad Zephyr, these gentlemen are correct, you are using antialiasing… and if you didnt, you used a smudge tool and thats as bad as AA when you are making sprites.

Make your entire sprite the way you want, put it in game... and when you see the Fugly white outlines around your character, come back to this thread and we will explain why.

@Bad_Zephyr:

> wow i didn't mean to post it twice. and by the way slym, i didn't use auto anti alias. i did every single pixel manually

Don't lie. There are over 100 colors in that sprite. If you didn't use auto anti alias there would be 2 colors.

@[ð:

> slym¸ link=topic=45034.msg456382#msg456382 date=1243265760]
> Don't lie. There are over 100 colors in that sprite. If you didn't use auto anti alias there would be 2 colors.

first of all i know what anti aliasing is. well im using CS3 and iv never seen an anti alias option for the pencil. what i did was the rough outline in one color, came back in and made any necessary adjustments, then, so it wouldnt look so jagged, use the eraser tool and brush tool set at different opacities to make it look smoother. if yall dont believe me, thats fine. i could even post a vid of me doing if u really wanted to, but that doesnt matter. anyways back on subject, this sprite is also gonna be used in 3.0, which'll support PNG, so i don't see a "big white outline", really being a problem. If making smooth lines (or trying to) is a problem, I would definitely love an explanation why.

![](http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5499/picture14l.png) and the anti aliasing option for pencil is where?

@Bad_Zephyr:

> Hey ya'll. Right now all I have is the outline. This is just a rough draft. I'll be updating this as I improve it. I already see some stuff I wanna fix, but besides that I just wanted to see what ya'll thought so far  :azn:
>
> ![](http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/3187/picture8e.png)
> ![](http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4025/picture7tbp.png)

I'd definitely like to see updates. Not bad at all for a first sprite. I'd definitely suggest working on that whole criticism thing too. But, yeah, top notch for a first attempt! Alot better than MY first attempt. XD

@eclipselova:

> stop the mean tone and give him some feedback on the design.
>
> nice sprite! i really like it, but it would be hard to create a head which does the body justice.

Mean tone? Do you you have text to speech lol? thats not being mean for me, thats being fairly timid.

To be a bit constructive I suppose, there really isnt alot of feedback you can give someone on something like that, if anything I was prompting him to perhaps explain a bit more on why he posted something so early in its creation. Its a body, obviously of which one half is copied
and pasted and flipped to makethe other half and its an antialiased outline. Two people
gave him ample opportunity to take the right advice yet he was still apprehensive, I figured a third opinion could possibly sway him toward the eventual truth, that his image is in fact anti aliased and
if he was to succeed with this sprite he needs to re-think his techniques.

Is that more betterer?

Bad Zephyr,

@Bad_Zephyr:

> first of all i know what anti aliasing is. well im using CS3 and iv never seen an anti alias option for the pencil. what i did was the rough outline in one color, came back in and made any necessary adjustments, then, so it wouldnt look so jagged, use the eraser tool and brush tool set at different opacities to make it look smoother. if yall dont believe me, thats fine. i could even post a vid of me doing if u really wanted to, but that doesnt matter. anyways back on subject, this sprite is also gonna be used in 3.0, which'll support PNG, so i don't see a "big white outline", really being a problem. If making smooth lines (or trying to) is a problem, I would definitely love an explanation why.
>
> ![](http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5499/picture14l.png) and the anti aliasing option for pencil is where?

The opacity is what is causing your antialiasing, make sure it is
at 100 percent (or 0 percent, whichever is not transparent. Yours
is at 37 percent which is sem-transparent, and thats causing the blurring.

Regards,

I'd personally prefer harsh criticism to the alternative… How would you know when you've done good if everyone tells you've done good even if you haven't? I personally don't think the sprites too bad, yeah there are things that need working on but, its a good place to start...

Yes [G2D], thats betterer ;P okay so its an anti aliased outline, cus i wanted it be smooth, but i guess i just never viewed it as that cus i did every pixel manually, thats what I've been saying. but what i want to know, is why anti aliasing is bad? remember, I'm gonna be using this as PNG when 3.0 comes out.

@Bad_Zephyr:

> Yes [G2D], thats betterer ;P okay so its an anti aliased outline, cus i wanted it be smooth, but i guess i just never viewed it as that cus i did every pixel manually, thats what I've been saying. but what i want to know, is why anti aliasing is bad? remember, I'm gonna be using this as PNG when 3.0 comes out.

Very…very bad.

When your sprite will be moving around, you'll have a sexy white outline around it, apprehensive, much? :P