Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How can I improve my GUI?

Matt

Right. I'm no professional when it comes to GUI, so how can I improve this layout so it's not so dull? I'd like to get some color into it, but I don't know how. The green is just there because I don't like the contrast of black on white when being looked at. It isn't a part of the GUI.

![](http://i.imgur.com/OjLvduy.png)

It's a good idea, but I wasn't really looking for a centralized theme coming specifically from the game. One thing I think it should match is the pallet of the graphics. Do they conflict?

![](http://i.imgur.com/Ci3Ty3E.png)

Blue definetly matches your cartoon-like pallete. As james said, I would suggest basing it around the actual game theme. Like if you have fantasy, you can for example add few curves and so on. Don't overdo it though, I think this one would look best if kept simple. Also the bars look good, buttons could use some improvement as marsh said. They look a bit too much different from the background I guess. Btw, nice work on those icons, I really like the hand and the bag icon. Other than that, its very simple and clean nice gui, I like it a lot. Nice work matt! :)

> Blue definetly matches your cartoon-like pallete. As james said, I would suggest basing it around the actual game theme. Like if you have fantasy, you can for example add few curves and so on. Don't overdo it though, I think this one would look best if kept simple. Also the bars look good, buttons could use some improvement as marsh said. They look a bit too much different from the background I guess. Btw, nice work on those icons, I really like the hand and the bag icon. Other than that, its very simple and clean nice gui, I like it a lot. Nice work matt! :)

Thanks! But how would you improve the buttons? Should I avoid using the gradient, or is it the shape of the button itself?

> If I were you, I would add some celtic inlay; say a vine pattern or a shape pattern, I'd just say look some celtic patterns up and see what you like, if any that is. But I think you may like the idea of putting a pattern of some kind in the background.

I had thought of that at one point, but I didn't like the end result. I'll look again though, because I do want the best end-result.

Okay. I removed the gradient, and got this. What do you think?

![](http://i.imgur.com/OCKXBes.png)

• 1 month later...
I personally like them better WITH the gradients, although I think you should use a different text for your buttons and also give them something like a nice shiny gradient. Don't be afraid to use drop shadows as well, drop shadows around some of the boxes, text, and buttons would make them stand out a little bit.