Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sprite movment Question

TT Snim

Hi all, A simple question: Back in the day when I was trying to make a game the sprite system was all sorts of messed up.  In the new game engine am I riht to asume the sprites are all fixed animation wise? 

As in, we can have different animations for different moves? 

Because if it's fixed I'm going to make a game bassed for the Crafty Girls.. eventually… I'll sprite for it, any way.

The problem with the old sprites was the way the program drew from the animation sheet to do both walk and attack.  On a normal RPG sprite sheet you have some thing that looks like this:

> > >  Walk right

^ ^ ^   Walk up

< < <  Walk left

v v v   Walk down

However the old system was it like this:

> > x  Walk right/ x = attack

^ ^ x   Walk up/ x = attack

< < x  Walk left/ x = attack

v v x   Walk down/ x = attack

This system meant that any basic sprite set used the right most walk animation as the character or NPC's attack animation, and left you with only two cells for your normal walk.  That's fine for me as I can make games around that system, but it still leaves things looking jerky and crude. 

What I want to know is if we now have a system/engine that uses a sprite sheet for _each action_.

Awesome Walk Animation

> > >  Walk right

^ ^ ^   Walk up

< < <  Walk left

v v v   Walk down

Attack Animations

> > >  Stab right

^ ^ ^   Stab up

< < <  Stab left

v v v   Stab down

> > >  Cast right

^ ^ ^   Cast up

< < <  Cast left

v v v   Cast down

Etc…

> Nope, according to your description it would not be possible on any engine on this site without some **extreme** code edits.

Lol. This is a rather simple edit. Take a look at what Growl said even though what Growl is suggesting is for one sprite sheet but you want 2(?) one for walking and one for attacking. That also is easy to do if you can do a bit of programming.