Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What makes a game fun??

Valon328

What type of things do you think a game should include that makes you "addicted" to it, or atleast play it without throwing the game away into a trash can?

EX: I like a game because I can PK
EX#2: I like a game because I can build stuff
EX#3: I like a game because I like pudding.

Thanks
~VALON~

One word:

**Originality**

I don't want to play a game I've already played over 9000 times.

Another word:

**Realism**

I don't want to play a game which only tries to emulate reality. I want to play a game, not look at it. Moving pictures (Short: movies) are for that.

And yet another word:

**Co-operative**

It's fun to play with **friends**. Single player games make people feel lonely and MMO-scale games are usually too big, but some work.

The word that finishes it:

**Storyline**

I don't want to play a game where I have to read a trilogy or an omnibus but I neither want to play which is purely sandbox. I want something to do so that I wont get bored.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Godlord:

> One word:
>
> **Originality**
>
> I don't want to play a game I've already played over 9000 times.
>
> Another word:
>
> **Realism**
>
> I don't want to play a game which only tries to emulate reality. I want to play a game, not look at it. Moving pictures (Short: movies) are for that.
>
> And yet another word:
>
> **Co-operative**
>
> It's fun to play with **friends**. Single player games make people feel lonely and MMO-scale games are usually too big, but some work.
>
> The word that finishes it:
>
> **Storyline**
>
> I don't want to play a game where I have to read a trilogy or an omnibus but I neither want to play which is purely sandbox. I want something to do so that I wont get bored.
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

Thank you godlord! that helped alot for making my game because I was stuck at the point where I don't even know if people would actually play my game at all. xD

Thanks again!!! :azn: :azn:
Btw why is that emodicon called azn? it's nothing to do with asians does it? (azn=asians)

I would have to say everything above all would be the Community, if there people who you like talking to their it's going to help the game "make it seem fun". However true fun comes with the players exploring the world you created. Fighting off monsters and leveling. While everyone has different experiences on things like this some don't like games which are too hard some like the challenge. With fan base games it's the ability to play as there favorite character.

However with all these things if the game doesn't look very good it's not going to very fun to the player. While GFX may not matter to some poorly mapping does.

Thank you all for your oppinions and ideas! So, so-far, the most important things are:

Quests that is not "get an item and give it back ASAP in 1 minute"
A Place to explore
A good community
-more things modified in this space after i eat my sandwhich-

BRB I gotta eat my sandwhich (really I do it's breakfast time here)

A progressive scale to climb.  Like Bone said, something to go for next.  I also enjoy expansions.  If you've played a game world and know it like the back of your hand, I don't see the point in continuing to play.  A game that continues to unlock new areas and add on new features and things makes it worth playing, because there's always something new to experience.

I also enjoy something easily accessible that I can play from anywhere and doesn't take a long time to log in, etc, so…portability, I guess?

This…
@ᴆᴎᴧ:

> Many dungeons(loaded with tricks(and mazes(possibly))), Detailed (OR) nostalgic, cleverly designed enemies, items(with a large array of effects), story(changing based upon your decisions(within it)), story expansions…

@ᴆᴎᴧ:

> …
> ...
> ...
> ...Featuring many events(Each in high depth), advanced class system, turn-based battle system, recognition system(don't ask)...

@ᴆᴎᴧ:

> Futuristic, realistic, extensive, open-world, mind-challenging, strategic, original, full-featured, interactive, intelligent, high-depth, powerful perspective, consistent, deep-story, huge world, highly animated, comedic(at times), customizable(up to a point), [allowing] player control[led](at parts, such as setting up a dungeon, and challenging friends to it(possibly)), many secrets(large(mostly)), extensive-player-interaction…

A certain element of randomness…

Like on Left 4 Dad - The AI Director means that everytime you play - the game is different.

It allows the game to be played over and over again!

If youve never played Left 4 Dead what i mean is:

-Items spawn in different locations every time
-Enemies come in different places and amounts each time
-'Special Infected' or 'Bosses' spawn in different places every time
-Things that people say differ each time
-Weapons and ammo become more scarce depending on your situation

@Bazareth:

> A certain element of randomness…
>
> Like on Left 4 Dad - The AI Director means that everytime you play - the game is different.
>
> It allows the game to be played over and over again!
>
> If youve never played Left 4 Dead what i mean is:
>
> -Items spawn in different locations every time
> -Enemies come in different places and amounts each time
> -'Special Infected' or 'Bosses' spawn in different places every time
> -Things that people say differ each time
> -Weapons and ammo become more scarce depending on your situation

Bullshit. Valve overhyped their systems as usual. The AI may be 'random' but patterns emerge and you can plan for everything eventually. Item spawns _aren't_ random, they're in pre-set positions.