Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is port forwarding ILLEGAL? for eclipse?

Christmas12345

I heard port forwarding all together was illegal! one website says it is but my friend says its not :O i don't want to port forward Eclipse and then later findout I'm going to get sued…..so is there even a .0000001% chance that port Forwarding is illegal? Can you PM me with the answers i may not be able to find this post again :P but if you can just post it here and hopefully i can find it in all theses posts :P

@Wise:

> nah port forwarding is 100% legal. i dunno were u get the idea its illegal but dont listen to them lol

Some ISP's ban it, which does make it illegal to port forward while using that ISP. But that's a VERY rare case. I doubt anyone on these forums has this problem.

@Tylian!:

> Some ISP's ban it, which does make it illegal to port forward while using that ISP. But that's a VERY rare case. I doubt anyone on these forums has this problem.

That doesn't make it illegal, all it does is make it against the ISP's rules.

I can't see what kind of retarded ISP would ban it though.

@Gwen:

> How would they know?
>
> It's off their network. It's at your endpoint

They actually block incoming TCP connection packets, which is stupid.
I'd have to make my own protocol, or use UDP to host anything (which i've done before, tribes ftw)

@Christmas12345:

> I heard port forwarding all together was illegal! one website says it is but my friend says its not :O i don't want to port forward Eclipse and then later findout I'm going to get sued…..so is there even a .0000001% chance that port Forwarding is illegal? Can you PM me with the answers i may not be able to find this post again :P but if you can just post it here and hopefully i can find it in all theses posts :P

Port forwarding is legal, there's no reason for it to be illegal.

@Tylian!:

> Some ISP's ban it, which does make it illegal to port forward while using that ISP. But that's a VERY rare case. I doubt anyone on these forums has this problem.

Just like Robin said, that will just be against the rules of the ISP. If not mentioned in a Terms & Conditions, then it will still be legal, otherwise they might try to sue you although I would laugh really hard then.

@Gwen:

> How would they know?
>
> It's off their network. It's at your endpoint

An ISP can block ports plus they handle DNS and DHCP.

@Robin:

> That doesn't make it illegal, all it does is make it against the ISP's rules.
>
> I can't see what kind of retarded ISP would ban it though.

ISPs usually block ports to prevent spam or something else.

Usually port 25, the SMTP or outgoing-email port, is blocked by some ISPs to prevent spam.

e.g. in The Netherlands this is a standard for most ISPs.

Port 80, the HTTP port, is usually blocked to prevent the upload of illegal files.

Some ISPs might block all ports to prevent all this, but such an ISP would be an idiot. Usually they either block the ports mentioned above or they limit your bandwidth like in Belgium.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Tylian!:

> I knew goddie would reply. xD
>
> It's literately written in the terms of service that a server can not be run by someone using bell sympatico. :/

Contact them or switch ISPs. Running any server in that case would be against the ToS, which means it would be an illegal act.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Gwen:

> What about games that require port forwarding. You are not running a server.  Is that restricted?
>
> Against tos only means drop of contract unless a crime is commited. They can't sue for just ignoring their rule?

Games which require port forwarding have a built-in **server**.

As for the ToS, I would earlier see them just breaking up the contract instead of going to sue you, if they act at all, most ~~ISPs~~ people I've met in my life are lazy.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Gwen:

> What about games that require port forwarding. You are not running a server.  Is that restricted?
>
> Against tos only means drop of contract unless a crime is commited. They can't sue for just ignoring their rule?

Your ISP won't/can't sue you for breaking ToS but they can disconnect your internet.

But that's usually due to a fair usage policy - so don't have 100 people playing your game at once.

@Christmas12345:

> THANKS GUYS! I have a TP-Link Wireless internet router model:TL-WR541G…And my ISP is Gorge.net...can i port forward with this router and it not be illegal XD...i just heard it was illegal and want to make FOR SURE its not :P

Read their ToS, which you should have done already **before** you accepted the contract, unless your parents did.

Regards,
  Godlord.