Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to get a clearer jpg GUI.

zigzag200

Right guys, just figured this out :P hehe.

Step 1,You've just made a really good GUI for your game, but you dont want to save as it will go blury, Firstly, save as a .png into a spare folder.

Step 2, Go to [www.sumopaint.com](http://www.sumopaint.com) And click on open sumo paint,

Step 3, Click open from my computer, and open your .png GUI

step 4, once you've opened it save it to your GUI folder, as .jpg, put the quality right up!

step 5, successful high quality GUI!

I only know this becuase i use sumopaint, haven't tested with gui's but it should work!

thanks for reading.

May add pictures but it sounds easy enough, comments welcome!

This is pretty good, thanks. There's another way of doing it, though. If you have Adobe Photoshop 7.0 (this should work on other versions as well), make your GUI on there and then save it as a .JPG image. A scale will pop up from 1-12\. Select 12\. This will take up the most memory but will keep your image in perfect quality. That's how I've always done it.

@[G2D:

> Devogen link=topic=50763.msg530610#msg530610 date=1251102182]
> Even the highest pumped up JPEG or PNG will never be as sharp as an uncompressed bitmap.

PNG has lossless compression and an alpha channel, if anything a PNG would contain more data than an uncompressed bitmap.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Godlord:

> PNG has lossless compression and an alpha channel, if anything a PNG would contain more data than an uncompressed bitmap.
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

Im talking about visual compression, not the amount of data it contains.

PNG isnt lossless BTW.

Even you Goddie, cant tell me that a PNG is as crisp as an uncompressed 24 bit bitmap.

?? ok well my joke obviously went over your head.

If you dont see the difference, then dont worry about it. Im talking strictly between an original BMP and its PNG conversion. Not a PNG that was created to start with.

These guys are trying to say PNG is a lossless compression. Go and get a 24 bit bitmap and convert it to PNG - in any program, truelcolor or progressive, your choice.

The output is not the same - its close, but it sure as hell isnt lossless.

@[G2D:

> Devogen link=topic=50763.msg530617#msg530617 date=1251102502]
> Im talking about visual compression, not the amount of data it contains.
>
> PNG isnt lossless BTW.
>
> Even you Goddie, cant tell me that a PNG is as crisp as an uncompressed 24 bit bitmap.

@[G2D:

> Devogen link=topic=50763.msg530624#msg530624 date=1251102797]
> ?? ok well my joke obviously went over your head.
>
> If you dont see the difference, then dont worry about it. Im talking strictly between an original BMP and its PNG conversion. Not a PNG that was created to start with.
>
> These guys are trying to say PNG is a lossless compression. Go and get a 24 bit bitmap and convert it to PNG - in any program, truelcolor or progressive, your choice.
>
> The output is not the same - its close, but it sure as hell isnt lossless.

You haven't backed up your statement yet :icon_nif:.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@[G2D:

> Devogen link=topic=50763.msg530646#msg530646 date=1251105457]
> I don't need to when I know I'm right.

If you don't prove anything, then that means that there's nothing to validate your statement. What is even the point of responding then? You don't even want to explain why you think PNG is using a lossy compression.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@[G2D:

> Devogen link=topic=50763.msg530646#msg530646 date=1251105457]
> I don't need to when I know I'm right.

> Portable Network Graphics (PNG) is a bitmapped image format that employs **lossless data compression.**

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Network_Graphics](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Network_Graphics)

@Robin:

> [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Network_Graphics](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Network_Graphics)

Don't read a wiki article, use your own eyes.

And Godlord, I dont think it loses quality, I know and mainly because ive done more with graphics than you and Robin put together and for longer.

Don't rely on techno-babble to confirm your argument - if you cant spot the difference with the naked eye, theres no point continuing.

@[G2D:

> Devogen link=topic=50763.msg530654#msg530654 date=1251106942]
> Don't read a wiki article, use your own eyes.

How about you learn something about the file format and how it works before spouting some self-professed bullshit?

PNG uses DEFLATE for it's data compression. That's what zlib uses. If .ZIPs were lossy, they're be fucking useless. A bit like your knowledge on image formats, obviously.

@[G2D:

> Devogen link=topic=50763.msg530657#msg530657 date=1251107192]
> Oh noes! someone dare argue the point of Robin?? wow..
>
> grow up kiddo…
>
> I know more about graphics than you do about masturbation.

No need to resort to insults, mate. I'm just letting people know that PNG isn't a lossy image format. I don't like seeing people get misguided.

hahaha no need to resort to insults?? . coming from you Robin, thats priceless mate.

My argument is not for the quality of PNG, nor its benefits. My argument is simply this.
Take your favourite BMP. Convert it to PNG in whatever program you desire, and then
compare the two, side by side. Lossless is a very flimsy term being tossed around,
and I suppose Im doing the same, and dont like seeing people misguided.

@[G2D:

> Devogen link=topic=50763.msg530661#msg530661 date=1251107720]
> hahaha no need to resort to insults?? . coming from you Robin, thats priceless mate.
>
> My argument is not for the quality of PNG, nor its benefits. My argument is simply this.
> Take your favourite BMP. Convert it to PNG in whatever program you desire, and then
> compare the two, side by side. Lossless is a very flimsy term being tossed around,
> and I suppose Im doing the same, and dont like seeing people misguided.

Hey, I'm not here to argue about what you believe to be true. You could tell the community the world is flat for all I care.

It's just your opinion. Keep shouting about it all you want, but the format isn't going to turn lossy just because you want it to.

have you popped 1 too many pills ?

Its not my personal opinion that a converted BMP loses quality in PNG format - lol its
the plain facts of life. It's obvious however.. you would rather take the word of wiki than actually try it for yourself.