Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Questions about EO4 -> EO5

Venorize

I used to use eclipse way back when it was terrible and overcome by bugs, which drove me away from the project. I've keep subscribed to the e-mail updates over the years in hopes it would someday make a strong return. I've really liked the direction it's been headed, and the newest video EO5 preview video has really won me over to return. With that being said, I've got a couple questions now.

- If I purchase EO4 Gold, does that carry over so I would have Gold on EO5 as well?

- If I start building a game through EO4, will there be a way to upgrade it all to EO5 without losing all my progress? (I know there was things like this in the past where you could convert maps and such to a newer version of the engine, but it was incredibly painstaking, took a very long time, and not a high chance at successfully converting). Or should I just wait for EO5?

1\. Has yet to be determined. Gold members will have benefits but the only one for sure will be an early beta access.

2\. No, at this time I do not see this being an option. V is so drastically different in how it handles everything I doubt a converter could be made and if so it would be unlikely to convert anything more than items, quests, some spells. (not maps :/) 

Welcome back though and stay tuned for updates as everything will be clarified as we move forward ;)

Well it seems to really show to be a complete overhaul and not just an update.  Really appreciate the responses and from jcsnider, helps clarify the direction of things. :)

I guess I'll wait then. I really like what I saw in 5.0 and wouldn't want to start over just to use the new engine. So I'll float around until 5.0 is out. 

Thanks again everyone

Okay so then now I'm wondering, if EO5 (we'll call it that for the sake of confusion) is released, what does that mean for the development of EO4? Do updates for EO4 stop or will they both continue as separate but progressing projects each with their own staff?

My fear is putting an enourmous amount of time and effort into an EO4 game only to find out I should have held out for EO5.

> And yet, you guys DO call it E.O 5.0 in the video and the top of the site… lol..

I thought it was called Eclipse V? (Eclipse 5) not Eclipse Origins V? Pretty sure they keep saying Eclipse V.

> Hum, and will EO5 be managed with VB6 as well?
>
>  
>
> I'm pretty new to thissss… what programming language(s) should I look into?
>
> (I'm currently trying to get a grasp on C++)
>
>  
>
> Also, is the aim at a 2014 release?

As far as I know it's an HTML5 client with a .NET server (C# or VB.Net? No idea)