Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Broken Images…

KillerRazor

Yeah. Didn't think I'd be the one to post a topic about it (Tell me if one has been made..) but I am.

I think most people have noticed lately, the problem with the images on the forum. When the page fully loads, they squash, to tiny parameters. It is pretty irritating, I think we can all agree, but Admins, does anyone know what caused this?

@KillerRazor:

> Yeah. Didn't think I'd be the one to post a topic about it (Tell me if one has been made..) but I am.
>
> I think most people have noticed lately, the problem with the images on the forum. When the page fully loads, they squash, to tiny parameters. It is pretty irritating, I think we can all agree, but Admins, does anyone know what caused this?

I disagree, as I have no issues with it and it's because some (wide) images ruin the forum layout instead.

Regards,
  Godlord.

Not quite certain of what an internet point is..

And if it is browser based, I really don't care about getting Firefox, or whatever browser you may use, because really, people should make the forum work for ALL browsers. And if there is more than one person complaining, then, y'know, it is really a problem… Not trying to be an asshole, but people brag about "How much better firefox is than Internet Explorer", but I couldn't care LESS. It works, it is functional, it does the job. I don't care if it gives me a slightly better speed, I use it, WHY don't you make it compatible.

This isn't pointed at you Godlord whatsoever. It is what I feel when people tell me that I MUST use their browser because it is better. And I don't know the situation. But if you do have a differnet browser to me, and obviously the other people that have complained in the Shoutbox, and been ignored, there should be a fix for it..

He means, and I get this problem, that the images are squashed top to bottom. So their length is the same but their height is squashed so you can't really see the picture.

E.G
            _______
Normal -l          l It would become - ________
          l          l                          l________l
          l_______l

That example isn't really bi enough to show it.

@The:

> I don't know. I'm in Firefox too, it's fine here. I think Safari might be messed up, let me go check.

The only browser I can imagine messing up is Internet Explorer :icon_nif:. Besides I run Firefox 2 (Solaris), 3 (Linux) and 3.5 (Windows) and this forum has no rendering issues on all of them.

@KillerRazor:

> And if it is browser based, I really don't care about getting Firefox, or whatever browser you may use, because really, people should make the forum work for ALL browsers. And if there is more than one person complaining, then, y'know, it is really a problem… Not trying to be an asshole, but people brag about "How much better firefox is than Internet Explorer", but I couldn't care LESS. It works, it is functional, it does the job. I don't care if it gives me a slightly better speed, I use it, WHY don't you make it compatible.

Website developers write websites written for all browsers, that is however in theory, as Microsoft **refuses** to support the W3C standards, which are de facto standards. It's already a pain in the ass for website developers to write a website, then they have to write support for Internet Explorer six, seven and eight as Microsoft refuses to write a proper renderer for their browser. That's not the way it should work, Microsoft should accept the standards so website developers only have to write their website, not the way round.

@KillerRazor:

> This isn't pointed at you Godlord whatsoever. It is what I feel when people tell me that I MUST use their browser because it is better. And I don't know the situation. But if you do have a differnet browser to me, and obviously the other people that have complained in the Shoutbox, and been ignored, there should be a fix for it..

Even though Internet Explorer works, it's the _only_ mainstream browser which is not conform to de facto standards, such as the ones set up by W3C, unless you're counting embedded systems which are usually incapable of supporting most stuff beyond HTML, XHTML and CSS. Also Internet Explorer lacks security. It's the only browser supporting ActiveX, which then again only works on Microsoft Windows and works without the permission of the user executing it, so it could be written to cause damage any computer using Internet Explorer. These are already two big reasons why somebody should not use Internet Explorer and why Microsoft will ship various browsers such as Firefox, Opera and Google Chrome with Windows Seven.

Also, if there's an issue and nobody is online to actually check what's wrong then we are unaware of it and can't do anything about it. Issues and bugs should be posted in a topic and not in the shout box.

Regards,
  Godlord.

It's only IE; no other browsers.
I've noticed afew issues with the new IE, and compatibility on not just these forums, but many forums; e.g. when you're typing a really long post, it jumps back to the top after every type, etc.

@KillerRazor:

> because really, people should make the forum work for ALL browsers. And if there is more than one person complaining, then, y'know, it is really a problem… Not trying to be an asshole, but people brag about "How much better firefox is than Internet Explorer", but I couldn't care LESS. It works, it is functional, it does the job. I don't care if it gives me a slightly better speed, I use it, WHY don't you make it compatible.

I'd like to say real quick, it isn't a matter of Eclipse not being compatible with all browsers, it's a matter of IE not being compatible with most sites.
Since every other browser, excluding IE, works on this site properly; which means the problem lies in IE, not the site.

This is of course that Microsoft doesn't commit to standards (they write their own), and web pages are more likely to show up incorrectly on Internet Explorer.

Then again, seeing as IE scored among the lowest in the Acid3 test (20/100), as well as IE's failure to handle Javascript correctly, this would be expected.

@[SB:

> Damian666 link=topic=51382.msg538996#msg538996 date=1252083902]
> so IE ducks up… so what?
>
> before marsh installed the mod it was all ok, so thats where it lies, not in my browser...
>
> Damian666

Yeah, it's Marsh his fault because he adds a feature which works in every W3C-conform browser, while IE doesn't because it isn't W3C-conform. Your logic must be really fucked up to say that. Like I said, website developers are not supposed to add exotic support, instead Microsoft should learn to accept standards.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@[SB:

> Damian666 link=topic=51382.msg539002#msg539002 date=1252084219]
> thanx marsh, its all back to normal :)
>
> Damian666
>
> and i didnt say it was the fault of Marsh, but the fault of the mod mate ^^

Like I said, your logic is ducked up.

**WEBSITE DEVELOPERS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO ADD EXOTIC SUPPORT!**

Regards,
  Godlord.

Goddie I can confirm this is an issue in IE. I just assumed it was put in place to make the sigs smaller, and was happening to all browsers. It squishes all pics.

I would like it to be fixed, but if its for the greater good then so be it. But I dont like the dogmatic approach to "you're using IE so F you" you give….. If anything there should be a poll to see what the most popular browser being used is, and not just this is what im using therefore you all should be.

Like it or not, but IE is one of the most popular browsers.
I use IE because im too lazy to install anything else, just as im too lazy to really care about the images being squished. I dont care about security, because I dont go to other websites, and the ones I do go to I trust.

Everyone has their reasons for using whatever program they are using.

Im not fighting with you goddie... and Im sure you are going to pull out some big word rebuttle, but honestly im too lazy to argue IE with you. :P