Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Small Preview of the Starting Area [custom graphics]

Acoliite

Hi, some of you may have seen my other thread previewing a few of my tiles for a (still) unnamed game I am working on. I haven't updated it in a while, and decided to make a whole new topic showing a small section of the starting area.

[![](http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/9612/startpreview.th.jpg)](http://img251.imageshack.us/i/startpreview.jpg/)
Note: The quality of the graphics is worse to make the file smaller. If you want to see a higher quality visit my other thread [http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,51554.0.html](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,51554.0.html)

-Overview-
The starting area is a safe zone (no pvp) for players levels 1-20 (subject to change). Once players leave the starting area everywhere is pvp zone except towns.
Middle Left: The path leads further to the nearby town. This is the town players start in (after finishing the short tutorial)

Top: Pirate Territory. Has the highest level npcs in the starting area. The cave at the top is the first dungeon players will encounter including a few bosses all with class-specific drops. In order to be effectively taken down at least 3 players will need to work together. The top drops for the starting area will be dropped here.

Bottem Left: Leads to the lumberjack's hut, which gives a quest that once completed, unlocks the Lumberjack skill.

Bottom Right: Leads out of the starting area. Follows down a long path littered with bandits and coyotes. Several other towns and a capital city will be made before final release.

I have been hard at work on my project. Working on it in my spare time between school, friends, and family.

I have absolutely no intention of abandoning my project. I could really use the use of spriters and scripters. I have so many ideas for this project that can't be made possible without an advanced coder. Since the ideas are not limited to the tiles, because I can make more to fit them, the possibilities are endless.

If anyone is interested at all send me a message and include some examples of your work. If you are a scripter or coder tell me what games you have worked on.

Thank you all for reading my Great Wall of Text.

-Acoliite

Edit: New image of improved cliffs
![](http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5343/preview008.png)

The map design as a whole I like a lot, the region flow and pathing / playable regions look well-defined. But on the smaller scale, the cliffs are sort of straight (your tiles are fairly blocky, but they look as versatile as RMXP cliffs from a mapping standpoint); add more outcrops and ledges on your straight bland cliff walls.

• 2 weeks later...
The new cliff layout looks much, much better. 

I was about to comment with the same thing, especially on the shoreline, as the shoreline's cliff just seemed to be perfectly straight. =P

The only problem I have now with the map/tiles, is the repetitive shell detail on the beach.  I think this could be a problem produced more as a result of putting all the maps together, though.  Still, it that shell appears so often it bothers me a bit. 

However, I like the fact that you think naturally about your details, like how the skulls and bones on the ground don't appear until you start getting closer to the cave.

That said, great job overall. :laugh:

The new cliff layout looks much, much better. 

I was about to comment with the same thing, especially on the shoreline, as the shoreline's cliff just seemed to be perfectly straight. =P

The only problem I have now with the map/tiles, is the repetitive shell detail on the beach.  I think this could be a problem produced more as a result of putting all the maps together, though.  Still, it that shell appears so often it bothers me a bit. 

However, I like the fact that you think naturally about your details, like how the skulls and bones on the ground don't appear until you start getting closer to the cave.

That said, great job overall. :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
I like the simple colors and high contrast of the tiles. It's a nice style that you've kept true in most places. My only tile concern is on the cliffs, with the darker bits. If I'm correct in my assumption, this was made to emulate other cliff sets, like RMXP's and such, no? The darker areas hint at shadow, which is technically correct, but since you have no shadows in your style, it just looks like a smudgy or unfinished bit of the cliff. You don't have to worry about darkening things to make them appear round, or appear lower that other tiles, simply because you don't really make use of lighting anyway. Since you use solid colors and borders, use shapes, not shadow, to define your cliffs. They'll look much more solid as a result.

And I just noticed as I was scrolling up, but…Dayum, that water tiles well. So simple, but effective. ;D

The charger to my laptop broke and I haven't been able to work on anything in a few weeks. Finally got around to getting a new one.
Thanks for all the comments, don't know what happened to the link, I no longer see it.
I'll be getting back to work on everything soon, but with MW2 coming out in 9 days, I may get a little sidetracked :)

If anyone has xbox live my gamertag is iTz Acoliite