Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Board Groups

Marsh

Eclipse group members,

Recently, Eclipse has added several boards for new member groups to chat in, discuss secret things, etc. The administration has overseen this, hoping people would get the most out of these groups and develop into a system that gives many people an option to join a group. However, upon review, this fails to happen most of the time. Groups have just become a further way to segregate members of Eclipse. We all come here to be a community centred, as least loosely, around the Eclipse MMORPG maker. Groups just serve to drive each other apart.

The main issue many wanted groups to solve was to provide an area for like-minded individuals to discuss things. What we've found however, is that most of the chat happening within these boards is chit-chat style chatting. There are a few exceptions, overall, but we've made a decision. Groups simply aren't worth it. This decision is based upon 4 main points:

* Groups aren't providing what they set out to provide. A goodly percent of board content could very well just be chit-chat material.
* Camaraderie has backfired. Instead of groups providing a way to fit in, they divide the ranks, causing arguments. There have been topics about wars between groups, flaming against one another, etc.
* There are a lot of boards on Eclipse. Hosting costs quite a lot. Group boards just add to the hosting usage for something that is generally counterproductive.
* Everyone wants their own board. Picking who gets a sub forum and who doesn't only causes more problems than it is worth.

In this respect, we have decided to get rid of Eclipse group boards. Group mods have the power to move and delete posts as they see fit. Each member may want to back up any posts that are important. This does not mean that you can't form groups. It merely means that these are unofficial groups. You won't have a separate board, and you won't have an official member group. However, there's nothing wrong with displaying affiliation in your names, or posting links to unofficial boards, which we encourage. All in all, an unofficial board would put your group in charge of everything, from being able to create heirarchies, etc., without having to worry about flame wars on Eclipse's boards.

This may seem an inconvenience to group activities, but in the best interest of Eclipse overall, it must be done. Mods and admins will help with this process in any way possible. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. If you want any posts moved to a different section of the forum PM Marsh. The boards will disappear in one weeks time.

-Eclipse Administration

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Marsh:

> If you wish that thread can be moved to chit chat or another area. I know it sucks but it has to be done before it gets out of hand.

Wouldn't be good for younger users though.

Also, most of the group flames started when the new groups were formed, like [EB] and [B.O.T.C.H.], don't get me wrong, the groups are fine, it just caused some problems when more groups were created.

But that goes to one of the points made. Once one group was made, everyone wanted groups, and soon groups were just a way to divide members. SB is byfar the biggest group, but is not free from the same issues. Even the 1000+ reply post you mentioned is guilty here. It has nothing to do with Eclipse or SB, or anything related. About 50% of the posts in SB are guilty of this, as well. You need only surf through the topics and ask "what does this have to do with Eclipse, or our group?" to see what I mean.

All in all, groups are just "secret" chit-chat threads. This kind of thing would be best suited for a third-party forum, or an MSN chat or something. This forum was made for the Eclipse engine, and if you look, we've got more posts in chit chat than in any other section, and that post count is higher than the whole Eclipse support section altogether. It's slowly becoming less and less about Eclipse and more dramatized. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, Marsh has to pay the hosting, and groups are an unneeded element. Groups can just as easily make their own forum that they not only have control over, but lessens the load on Marsh.

I thought a (good?) percent of the boards posts should be chit chat material, or at least similar.
I mean groups we're to interact with members that only you let in, and not the forum as a whole (with all the weirdos and such included).
But a lot of the stuff is too random and some is spam.

And the groups did split everyone up, since the beginning, with [BS], and even The Business. To all the random groups recently made. We should have seen that coming.

Yes, it's no one person's fault. The whole concept, really, lent itself to failure. Since the beginning of group boards, people have asked what the point was, and, to be truthful, there wasn't a real need for them, or a real purpose. With the exception of a very minimal array of posts, most of the group activities were simply chit chat material. As a member of a group, myself, I know this firsthand. As a mod, I saw this happening within all the groups. While it was neat to have a secret board, it didn't really have too much of a purpose, as a free third-party forum could accomplish the same thing.

The Veteran's board is more based on Eclipse, usually where more experienced members discuss things… (often early betas etc.).

Lately though it's been a bit spammy like everything. I don't know maybe the lack of a centralized official Eclipse release that isn't over a year old is a major problem too.

Agreed. Too many groups now. Even I wanted to form one.

We don't need them. Except SB was original. And SB was making a game but they are now waiting for SE so that failed. Now people saw that groups were made everyone wanted one.

I remember, when I first joined eclipse, I saw a thread wanting a new group. Called Fangames Unwanted, or something. I asked to join and then marsh came in the thread and shut down the idea. If that happened with the new boards this wouldn't be so apparent.

Shut down the groups.