Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The only thing I know.

ddunit

Americans don't know how to play video games whilst leading a social life, amrite? :P

Surprisingly, I dislike most video games. I used to love them as a kid, playing FF6 on my old SNES was amazing… but after I got to the age where 'The Exorcist' _didn't_ emotionally scar me, they just lost all their appeal and sense of adventure. I've played maybe a handful of games since I broke my PS2 back in… 2003?

Since then I've just either spent my time programming, meeting up with family and going out drinking. ;o Oh, and college... but that hardly counts.

I was expecting a debate topic with the following content: "The only thing I know is that I know nothing.", but then again, I remembered that I am on Eclipse and not /sci/ or something similar.

Anyway, I basically have the same _issue_ as Robin, I loved to play games like Monkey Island, Super Frog, Zool, Chaos Engine, Settlers, Command & Conquer, etc. (See: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,57411.0.html), but all the modern games do not attract me at all. Basically, if I play a modern game, I'll only spend about two hours on it and then remove it from my computer afterwards as I usually do not like the game (and yes, I had the same _experience_ with games like World of Warcraft, Crysis and whatever you have nowadays).

The things that are entertainment for me are basically: programming, going out, spending time with friends, etc. Games used to be part of that, but now they aren't anymore as I feel that most game developers do not spend enough time to develop a good game, instead they spend less time to just get something on the market that they can call a "game". I'd love to play games like International Karate (YouTube'd), but I don't give a shit about games like Crysis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BOXR008V2I

Game development is not just getting a game up and running with all the knowledge you have; e.g. having a DSc. Software-engineering doesn't make you the best game developer. Although knowledge is a required part, there are various other aspects that I feel they should be required such as interactivity (in the game, that is), creativity, simplicity (in the game as well), etc.

tl;dr: a simple game is usually better than a ludum ad extremum.

**Moderation Event**: this topic has been moved to [Chit Chat > Video Games](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/board,326.0.html).

Regards,
  Godlord.

To me these games are nostalgic..  no video is going to make me regret spending days finishing R-type, or Wonderboy in Monster Land… Starflight... Chaos Engine.. lol Monkey Island..
eye of the Beholder, Dark Queen of Krynn...

To me these games symbolise what we are all doing now, and the progress that needed to happen for todays technology. Unfortunately at some point they forgot that games were supposed to have good plots, as they were designed for... Entertainment.

The only thing I dont agree about is the friends issue.. perhaps these days yes..

Back when I was at school, there was no internet.. Bulletin boards yes, but to swap a game was to physically hand a disk to someone... to play multiplayer - meant you sat next to someone and played with or against them... you were with friends.

Now? MMORPGS 24/7....  console games .. crap quality, all finishable withing a day without any replay value.. all designed to sell second hand and recycle at the local Evlibnunei store...

This isnt the gaming I grew up with. I've experienced it yes, it is easy to get addicted to a good MMORPG..

So to me, this video is a bit of bullshit coming from a guy this age... if it was coming from a 15-19 year old.. i'd take it more seriously - this guys just a couch potatoe really, games or no games - this guy would have been sitting on his arse regardless.