Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ubuntu 9.10

Skaterboy991

Sooo I got this 500gb laptop at Christmas, and the other day I was thinking of things I could do with some of the space (I have barely used any of the space at all), and I remembered my old box (it used ubuntu 8, but I turned it into a Windows 7 media center for our big screen TV ;D), and so I downloaded Ubuntu again. I installed it on my laptop (woot 4 wubi's "install inside windows!") and I love it; I'm using it to post this. I forgot how much I loved Linux, it's simplicity, it's stability, it's free software, and all of that good stuff. And I love the fact it's all completely free.

So I think I'll be on Ubuntu for quite awhile now ;D, how do you guys like it if you've tried it? Would you use it more than Windows (like me)?

For those of you who haven't tried it yet, check if you have atleast 20gb free, go to [their website](http://www.ubuntu.com), download it, and just mount it and run their nicely made Wubi.exe to install it within Windows, and easily uninstall if you don't like it; just like a regular programme. If you need help just check out the documentation.

P.S - One other thing I like is WINE which allows you to run (most) Windows programs (I can run Eclipse) on Ubuntu (and most other Linux distros) ;D

@CrAzY:

> @Sir:
>
> > 9.10? That's like so yesterday, real men run 10.4.
> >
> > Regards,
> >   Godlord.
>
> haha I always go for the stable releases, I don't particularly like beta version… Not sure why. But I mean Ubuntu in general; it's awesome stuff :P

Ubuntu is basically Linux + Bash + X11 + GNOME + Nautilus + Aptitude + a shit load of other software. That doesn't mean I dislike the Ubuntu distribution though, but people got to stop seeing it as one instance.

Regards,
  Godlord.

Also, you might be interested into playing Wesnoth together with Anthony (Admiral Refuge), Joseph (Adulese), Mickcy, Jonathan (ZenixMaster) and me.

Read the instructions [here](http://www.worldwarproductions.com/wesnoth.txt) and hook up with us.

Regards,
  Godlord.

I like Ubuntu; haven't touched windows in so long…
I posted a tun of [epic](http://i40.tinypic.com/2saxlw1.png) (and [moar epic](http://i44.tinypic.com/7108de.png)) screenshots in the Desktop thread awhile ago; some really interesting pics; I'll see if I can find the link.
@Sir:

> 9.10? That's like so yesterday, real men run 10.4.
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

Real men run Slackware and program in Vi (and play nethack).
REAL MEN PROGRAM WITH FORTRAN CARDS :evil:

@Admiral:

> I like Ubuntu; haven't touched windows in so long…
> I posted a tun of [epic](http://i40.tinypic.com/2saxlw1.png) (and [moar epic](http://i44.tinypic.com/7108de.png)) screenshots in the Desktop thread awhile ago; some really interesting pics; I'll see if I can find the link.
> @Sir:
>
> > 9.10? That's like so yesterday, real men run 10.4.
> >
> > Regards,
> >   Godlord.
>
> Real men run Slackware and programme in Vi (and play nethack).
> REAL MEN programme WITH FORTRAN CARDS :evil:

Actually real men compile their own GRUB 2, GNU Linux and GNU Hard and then multiboot the latter two via GRUB 2.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Sir:

> @Admiral:
>
> > I like Ubuntu; haven't touched windows in so long…
> > I posted a tun of [epic](http://i40.tinypic.com/2saxlw1.png) (and [moar epic](http://i44.tinypic.com/7108de.png)) screenshots in the Desktop thread awhile ago; some really interesting pics; I'll see if I can find the link.
> > @Sir:
> >
> > > 9.10? That's like so yesterday, real men run 10.4.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >   Godlord.
> >
> > Real men run Slackware and programme in Vi (and play nethack).
> > REAL MEN programme WITH FORTRAN CARDS :evil:
>
> Actually real men compile their own GRUB 2, GNU Linux and GNU Hard and then multiboot the latter two via GRUB 2.
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

Windows Boot Loader <- Grub2 <-> Solaris Grub -> Windows Boot Loader

Grub2 -> Ubuntu 9.10
            -> Ubuntu 9.04
            -> Ubuntu 8.04           
            -> Boot from DVD
            -> Boot from network

Windows Boot Loader -> Windows 7
                                        -> Windows Vista
                                        -> Windows XP Pro
                                        -> Windows 2000

Solaris Grub -> OpenSolaris 9           

amidoin it rite?

@Rodriguez:

> No you need to Boot Ubuntu within Ubuntu within Solaris within XP within 7 within Ubuntu to triforce. ;D
>
> - Adulese
>
> PS: I just installed Ubuntu 9 and am loving the entire experience. Besides, 10.4 comes out in a few weeks and it'll auto-update. Should be sweetz. ;D

Solaris -> (VM)Windows 7 -> (Compat mode)WindowsXP -> (VM)Ubuntu -> (ARM emulation)WM7 -> (HaRET)Debian -> (Grub reboot) Solaris

@Zetta:

> @Sir:
>
> > @Admiral:
> >
> > > I like Ubuntu; haven't touched windows in so long…
> > > I posted a tun of [epic](http://i40.tinypic.com/2saxlw1.png) (and [moar epic](http://i44.tinypic.com/7108de.png)) screenshots in the Desktop thread awhile ago; some really interesting pics; I'll see if I can find the link.
> > > @Sir:
> > >
> > > > 9.10? That's like so yesterday, real men run 10.4.
> > > >
> > > > Regards,
> > > >   Godlord.
> > >
> > > Real men run Slackware and programme in Vi (and play nethack).
> > > REAL MEN programme WITH FORTRAN CARDS :evil:
> >
> > Actually real men compile their own GRUB 2, GNU Linux and GNU Hard and then multiboot the latter two via GRUB 2.
> >
> > Regards,
> >   Godlord.
>
> Windows Boot Loader <- Grub2 <-> Solaris Grub -> Windows Boot Loader
>
> Grub2 -> Ubuntu 9.10
>             -> Ubuntu 9.04
>             -> Ubuntu 8.04           
>             -> Boot from DVD
>             -> Boot from network
>
> Windows Boot Loader -> Windows 7
>                                         -> Windows Vista
>                                         -> Windows XP Pro
>                                         -> Windows 2000
>
> Solaris Grub -> OpenSolaris 9           
>  
> amidoin it rite?

I'm missing GNU Hard, so no.

@Pete:

> I uninstalled Ubi from my computer because my brothers wouldn't use it, it was a shared computer.
> ¬¬

Go slap 'em in their faces, right noaw. We demand pictures of that as well, or it never happened.

Regards,
  Godlord.

Anyone who wants Ubuntu on their computer and thinks that they'll lack something due to the loss of windows (e.g. Pete's brothers), that's absolutely not correct.
A majority of windows programs can be executed on Ubuntu (using Wine) by simply double-clicking them as you would normally.
Anything that can't be ran in Wine for some (stupid microsoft-related) reason can be ran in VirtualBox.

Oh, and for ms-paint geeks out there (which was the only thing that I didn't like about ubuntu), go into the Ubuntu Software Center and grab KolourPaint; you WILL NOT be disappoint.

Anyways, if you have Ubuntu and need some good stuff, hit me up on MSN, I'll give you some stuff to apt-get for an epic experience.

@Admiral:

> Anyone who wants Ubuntu on their computer and thinks that they'll lack something due to the loss of windows (e.g. Pete's brothers), that's absolutely not correct.
> A majority of windows programmes can be executed on Ubuntu (using Wine) by simply double-clicking them as you would normally.
> Anything that can't be ran in Wine for some (stupid microsoft-related) reason can be ran in VirtualBox.
>
> Oh, and for ms-paint geeks out there (which was the only thing that I didn't like about ubuntu), go into the Ubuntu Software Center and grab KolourPaint; you WILL NOT be disappoint.
>
> Anyways, if you have Ubuntu and need some good stuff, hit me up on MSN, I'll give you some stuff to apt-get for an epic experience.

I just the Gimp.

Meh I loved it, but there were a few things I couldn't do. (fail on my behalf)
Like I ended up with no music on my ipod and not being able to rip CD's :( and that I couldn't use this Citrix thing which lets me log into my school account. Otherwise I loved it.

@Admiral:

> Anyone who wants Ubuntu on their computer and thinks that they'll lack something due to the loss of windows (e.g. Pete's brothers), that's absolutely not correct.
> A majority of windows programmes can be executed on Ubuntu (using Wine) by simply double-clicking them as you would normally.
> Anything that can't be ran in Wine for some (stupid microsoft-related) reason can be ran in VirtualBox.
>
> Oh, and for ms-paint geeks out there (which was the only thing that I didn't like about ubuntu), go into the Ubuntu Software Center and grab KolourPaint; you WILL NOT be disappoint.
>
> Anyways, if you have Ubuntu and need some good stuff, hit me up on MSN, I'll give you some stuff to apt-get for an epic experience.

I don't run Microsoft applications anyway, don't need their shit. I got MS Paint working through WINE though, but it's not worth bothering.

If you think you can't play games on Ubuntu you're wrong. There are a bunch of games for Ubuntu such as Tremulous, Quake, Wesnoth, etc. On top of that you could always try using WINE, or just dual-boot Windows XP.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Bobosk:

> Dual booting is a sin, it's all-or-nothing

I'm at a dual boot between Win7 and Ubuntu (9.10)… Its kind of risky to drop Windows 7 because, well, I don't think I will be able to install it if I want it again (unless I pirate it). I really wish I was man enough to finally drop Windows, ;D.