Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[EO] Quest system - edited

Qazek

I succefully installed the quest editor but it dont works….I created the quest and when I try to talk with the npc it doesn't happen anything :cry:
P.S. if i close and re opren my server the quest i saved it dissapears...anyone know why?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you're using the new EO then the part about not being able to talk to NPC is (probably) neither your fault or the code's, its because theres a bug in the engine (happens to me aswell). Dunno about the saving issue though.

• 4 weeks later...
@Sekaru:

> I don't think this has ever worked actually, and it is quite old.

It worked at one point. But the revisions to Origins make the additions buggy. I recommend using the new Quest Source system that someone uploaded just recently. It eliminates the .ini file and you can customize the individual quest to your liking directly in source.

You can make this work with some Tender Love and Care however, it's very limited.  The .ini type has it's advantages, as you can edit the quests in a text editor, but that's really the only up-side to it.  It's a bit slower than other methods.  Though the GetVar and ReadVar APIs are very commonly used in VB6 development, so kudos on that.

A quest system in theory is easy, it took about 2 hours to get on implimented in EO 1.3.1. 

Create a Quest Type on your Server, ie QuestRec, giving it variables like Name, Level, strStart, strInProgress, strComplete, Experience, Gold etc.  Then, define 'Public Quests(1 to MAX_QUESTS) as QuestRec.  Add Quests into your PlayerRec.  Give NPCs as Integer in NpcRec that stores their quest ID.  Make subs to load/save quests, then when it does the Search for Target, if the NPC has a Quest ID > 0, send the data to the client with that quest.  Obviously there's a lot more to it, as you need to update your questlog for every kill, you need to add lots of checks to see if a player has already completed a quest etc, but this is the premise behind how my system works.

Good luck all!