Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse possibly goes 3D?

Polyen

The fact that highly paid companies can't even do 3D right makes me doubt the fact that a group of unpaid hobbyists could make one decent. Think about how long it took Eclipse Devs to debug our 2D engine. It still isn't running great, but it will be with Robin working on Eclipse Origins. Now also think about how long it is taking us to make SE.

The fact is that Eclipse Devs do this on their free time, and 3D engines take a long time. If there was ever a free, open source 3D engine, it won't be for a very long time. Until then, you'll have to pay.

@Jungletoeâ„¢:

> The fact that highly paid companies can't even do 3D right makes me doubt the fact that a group of unpaid hobbyists could make one decent. Think about how long it took Eclipse Devs to debug our 2D engine. It still isn't running great, but it will be with Robin working on Eclipse Origins. Now also think about how long it is taking us to make SE.

Talking about a 3D engine, I agree. Talking about a 3D game, I disagree. People really should programme their own things instead of relying on others to do it for them.

@Jungletoeâ„¢:

> The fact is that Eclipse Devs do this on their free time, and 3D engines take a long time. If there was ever a free, open source 3D engine, it won't be for a very long time. Until then, you'll have to pay.

[Irrlicht](http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/) and [Ogre3D](http://www.ogre3d.org/).

tl;dr: go programme your own 3D game if you need it, since 3D engines aren't worth programming time.

Regards,
  Stephan.