Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Microsoft XNA

From these posts, I wonder if any of you have even used XNA much. It is basically just a high-level managed interface to DirectX.

It does a very good job at what it is intended to do - provide a very straight-forward, high-level interface to multimedia support. Even 2D is made simple by automated batching (SpriteBatch), automatically recovering lost resources, content precompiling and management, yada yada. Or to put it in a way you guys would be more familiar with, its more powerful than Direct3D 8 while far easier than DirectDraw 7.

The Zune and Xbox support are just a bonus. If you don't want it, simply ignore it.

That said, I still prefer SFML for 2D since I like the portability.

@Zetta:

> @Stephan:
>
> > @Zetta:
> >
> > > A real programmer's API includes OpenGL + OpenAL (Optional) + OpenCL (Optional)
> >
> > POSIX, Xlib, WinAPI, OpenGL, Direct3D9, Direct3D10, Direct3D11, OpenAL and BSD sockets.
> >
> > Regards,
> >   Stephan.
>
> personally, I prefer OpenGL to Direct3D

Same, I just have to support both whenever I target Microsoft Windows et al.

Regards,
  Stephan.

@crzyone9584:

> XNA is more geared for the 360 or the Zune. To even think about making money off it you need to spend like a $199+ just to get it on the 360\. If your looking to make a game for the pc, stick with OpenGL.

Where tis my Windows Phone 7 in that list may boy?

@мсичġġєт:

> @crzyone9584:
>
> > XNA is more geared for the 360 or the Zune. To even think about making money off it you need to spend like a $199+ just to get it on the 360\. If your looking to make a game for the pc, stick with OpenGL.
>
> Where tis my Windows Phone 7 in that list may boy?

@Stephan:

> @Zetta:
>
> > A real programmer's API includes OpenGL + OpenAL (Optional) + OpenCL (Optional)
>
> POSIX, Xlib, WinAPI, OpenGL, Direct3D9, Direct3D10, Direct3D11, OpenAL and BSD sockets.
>
> Regards,
>   Stephan.

Both Windows Mobile and the iPhone are in my list, exception of Cocoa and Carbon though.

Regards,
  Stephan.