• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse - what version should I use

Suppositoire

@Sealbreaker:

> if you can program in vb6: Eclipse Origins
> if not: Eclipse Stable

No. That's stupid reasoning. Using Stable to learn programming then moving on to Origins is counter-productive.

Start with Origins. It's the best. The only people who use Stable any more are people who're too stuck in their old ways to upgrade.

@DrNova:

> Just because someone uses Stable doesnt make them lazy. Sometimes yes, but there are plenty of factors that make Origins difficult or impossible for some folks.

I see your point, but then they should not make their game public, because a game made in stable without MANY edits can never be professional/good enough for many players wanting to play it. People putting enough effort in their game can (maybe even with much scripting (which would lag again and crash the server often)) make a good game even in ES.

-seal

I disagree comepletly.

A game doesnt NEED bells and whistles to be fun and immersive, thats what younger generation gamers dont get. It has to just be FUN.

Look at Mario. A classic in its own right, and that never got more advanced then throwing fireballs occasionally.

Storyline, gameplay, those are the key elements of a good game. You can program the shit out of a game all you want and STILL have it easily end up to be a bore. There are TONS of free 3d mmo's out there riht now loaded with features that quite frankly are boring and unoriginal.

-Edit-
I'm not arguing that Origins isnt a superior engine, nor the fact that Origins doesnt give you the best chance to make something of quality.  Just that the engine doesnt make the game.

@Carim123:

> Truthfully, All Origins is, is an engine

This thread is about someone asking which engine is better. We're talking about the engines.

Why would you even post something like that? That's like me walking into a discussion about renewable energy sources and blurting out, "Truthfully, it's all just energy."

@DrNova:

> I disagree comepletly.
>
> A game doesnt NEED bells and whistles to be fun and immersive, thats what younger generation gamers dont get. It has to just be FUN.
>
> Look at Mario. A classic in its own right, and that never got more advanced then throwing fireballs occasionally.
>
> Storyline, gameplay, those are the key elements of a good game. You can program the shit out of a game all you want and STILL have it easily end up to be a bore. There are TONS of free 3d mmo's out there riht now loaded with features that quite frankly are boring and unoriginal.
>
> -Edit-
> I'm not arguing that Origins isnt a superior engine, nor the fact that Origins doesnt give you the best chance to make something of quality.  Just that the engine doesnt make the game.

BTW, the original (Or what I could remember of it) message to the "Truthfully…" thing is:

> Truthfully, All Origins is, is an engine (Which I know is better than Stable) spoon-fed into your mouths.
> If you think Stable is "lazy" then why don't YOU make an engine?

Get rid of the part between the (), and the sentence might make more sense.

Lol.

Anyways, back on topic.

Which engine you want to pick is entirely up to you.

If you feel that you'd like something ready made (Quite well), for you to use and/or own VB6, I'd go with Origins.

If you don't own VB6, you can choose to download it *coughillegallycough* or not.
If you feel you're fine with making your own personal touches (Considering you can't edit the GUI very easily with Origins, without VB6), such as your own GUI, Scripts, etc, I'd use Stable, possibly even Project Vertigo, if you want a Side-scrolling MMO.

Origins IS more stable, but Stable is more easier to use.

People only find Stable easier to use because they've used it for God knows how long. The only thing people seem to struggle with in Origins is running the damn IDE, and if you can't run that you shouldn't be making a video game in the first place.

You don't need to learn the language to use Origins, you just need to be able to change a few constants.

You're basing your entire definition of 'easy' on the installation and usage of the IDE. That's a stupid thing to do.

Everything that you should change in Origins to create a unique game are controlled by easy-to-change constant values. You can re-design the entire GUI without touching the form designer.