Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Project: Retro

Irhymer

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd play this.  I don't care how horrible the gameplay would be.  It LOOKS amazing.  It actually reminds me a lot of my graphics for some reason…

Actually, the palettes are almost identical.  No wonder it looks so good ;)

@Roberto:

> I would try making the grass blades slightly smaller.
> Also, with the water, all of the patterns are the same, but different colours. Try rotating the swirls so that there is more variation.

I agree with this. See what it looks like by trimming off one pixel from the top of each blade. And rotate the swirls as he said…This game looks like an amped up retro version of Fantasy Online. I would be so addicted to this when it comes out XD

I like how the new tiles have different textures for the terrain type. The only thing I dislike is the grass/dirt transition tile, being all 4 grass tufts light colored. Maybe the suggestions of slightly shortening the grass texture would help.

Very cute though, good job. :cheesy:

Well I can safely say my project is a fail. I was gonna do a game similar to this, an 8Bit game with my own sprites and custom 8Bit tiles made by someone else. But I can see this game will be much more successful.

@Jeff:

> … this is a game?  I thought it was just a tileset...

Yea, it's not a game at all at the moment, and I don't know If it will ever be yet..lol
Just a tileset(and other graphics) right now as Jeff said.

Think of it as Pixel Practice ;)

-Jake

@Estec:

> Well I can safely say my project is a fail. I was gonna do a game similar to this, an 8Bit game with my own sprites and custom 8Bit tiles made by someone else. But I can see this game will be much more successful.

You know if you posted your tiles and let ppl see what you had. You prob could work through it to make them just as good. =/

@ceriux:

> think we'll get to see some skeletons?

![](http://i.imgur.com/apjuH.png)
Hows that?  :P
–----------------------
Ok, I fixed up everything you guys said I should work on, so here it is so far:

![](http://i.imgur.com/uoIWk.png)

_*Reduced Grass down 1 Pixel.
*Created 4 rotated water tiles.
*Removed the dirt tiles, because I'm planning on improving them like the others.
*Next up, I need more flower/rock detail on the ground for variety ;)_
–--------------------------------

@Estec:

> Well I can safely say my project is a fail. I was gonna do a game similar to this, an 8Bit game with my own sprites and custom 8Bit tiles made by someone else. But I can see this game will be much more successful.

If everyone quit their projects based on another, ALOT of good games wouldn't be out right now. Just try your best and let other people comment on your work so you can improve it like I did. **Elandor Chronicals** looks **WAY** better than this, see my stopping? No

-Jake

@Grizzy:

> You know if you posted your tiles and let ppl see what you had. You prob could work through it to make them just as good. =/

They weren't my tiles, I found 'em on the internet. I made the sprites though, and they suck. Jake's way better than me.
@[Jake:

> link=topic=69473.msg749004#msg749004 date=1299325459]
> Yea, it's not a game at all at the moment, and I don't know If it will ever be yet..lol
>
> Just a tileset(and other graphics) right now as Jeff said.
>
> Think of it as Pixel Practice ;)
>
> -Jake

I thought it was a game because it said Project… Oh well haha

@[Jake:

> link=topic=69473.msg749042#msg749042 date=1299335116]
> ![](http://i.imgur.com/apjuH.png)
> Hows that?  :P
> –----------------------
> Ok, I fixed up everything you guys said I should work on, so here it is so far:
>
> ![](http://i.imgur.com/uoIWk.png)
>
> _*Reduced Grass down 1 Pixel.
> *Created 4 rotated water tiles.
> *Removed the dirt tiles, because I'm planning on improving them like the others.
> *Next up, I need more flower/rock detail on the ground for variety ;)_
> –--------------------------------
> If everyone quit their projects based on another, ALOT of good games wouldn't be out right now. Just try your best and let other people comment on your work so you can improve it like I did. **Elandor Chronicals** looks **WAY** better than this, see my stopping? No
>
> -Jake

The tiles look so much better!!!!

To fix what Roberto is referring to, possibly instead of 4 blades of grass in a tile, add two. Or, have 4 and 2\. Anything to make it look less restricted. The new grass looks super sweet though!