Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Donate a little? Help a little?

Link

Hey eclipse users, as you know once again I pay the server monthly bills to host the site myself which runs me about 130$ Would be really helpful and much appreciated if the members could pitch in the keep the site growing and be more involved.

These donations will also help towards member of the month awards and more. The donation page can be found at the top in the navigation bar, thanks to all those who have and who will donate!

- Link

> Even so, with some digging you can get a top quality VPS with a bunch of perks for cheaper than that

VPS's are shared, with Eclipse's traffic, shared hosting wouldn't be effecient, we'd have the server down A LOT MORE

I think Zarachi/Link/Yukiro/TooManyUserNames is using a Dedi, which is why the price is so high, which is what he SHOULD be doing

It gets pricy, everyone was telling me they could host me on there 5$ a month hosts as well. Trust me, I was getting kicked off the servers I was hosted on because I was to big. Moved to share hosting, was moved to special shared hosting as it was unfair to other users on the same computer as mine. Was told I needed to move to dedicated hosting.

High traffic requires special needs. I was paying around 60-80 I believe and the site would go down a good amount in high traffic times.

Okay, for future reference, a vps and a dedi are two different things, even if they seem similar.

VPS, or Virtual Private Servers are basically virtual machines. You can have many running on one system, so they're "Share hosting" because you're sharing one system with other people. Same for IP Address, they're on the same switch. Well, Dedi's or Dedicated Servers are their own system entirely and run like your regular PC, so you're the only server running on the machine. In a VPS if one website is getting more traffic then you, it's chopping into your own resources.

The more ya know!

Our **Dropbox** link hit its bandwidth limit daily. If you know how big **Dropbox** allows its downloads, it is about 20 GB. That's a lot just from one download.

* The total amount of traffic that all of your links together can generate without getting banned is **20 GB per day**.
* The total number of downloads that all of your links together can generate is **100,000 downloads per day.**

A lot of members visit the site, many of which probably have not registered, but it does get a lot of traffic.

Being still relatively new to the forum I might have missed or overlooked something but have you considered adding a monthly donations goal and setting up a graph of sorts somewhere on the homepage for all to see how much is needed to support the site another month?

I think this would make it easier for people to decide how much they want to donate instead of thinking up a random number, it may also encourage people to be more generous since they will be presented with a goal.

I'll donate when I get paid, As above, can you somehow fix up a donation "goal"? So we know how much is covered and how much is left? I think i can muscle up to pay monthly if the above is done. I hate blind donating.

VBsix's suggestion is a good one, if you could make it somehow part of the main forum page? Like above the 'latest scores' and about the same size? Just trying to be helpful. Makes it easy to find but doesn't instantly hit new comers with DONATE NOW and make you look all about the 'monies'.

I've added a **Donation Sidebar**.The total cost for the site is $119, it is set to $125 for handle fees.

* You will be automatically placed in the **Donator** group upon donation and when you donate, you will get 500 forum points per dollar you donate.
* It will keep track of donations at a monthly basis and automatically.
* You may only donate $5 and above and are limited to $100 per donation.

How I see this now, Link currently has gained $70 towards the website bill that he didn't have before. Anything is a bonus as its money he didn't have. Keep the community alive and donate, I'll be doing it on a monthly basis and hope people will help foot the bill.