Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Angmon Updater looking for beta teams!

shylor

@Helladen:

> C and C++ are lower level languages, which have no limitations.

How would you perform bit rotation in C or C++ without Assembly. How would you return multiple parameters in registers in C or C++? How would you use SIMD without Assembly? How would you test for the carry flag in C or C++ without Assembly? How would you get the information about the processor without Assembly and without an operating system that does that exact job for you (e.g. Windows does this)?

Just to name four problems in C and C++. They are limited, just not as much as all the languages that are bound to virtual machines or interpreters.

Java and .net are useless outside Singularity or any operating system similar to Singularity. Unless you believe programming should be a rudimentary task involving no skills other than typing skills, or heck just drop 'n drag skills.

Also, before you hop in with abstraction, that's what is the performance bottleneck for Linux. At least four times the performance is lost because of libraries. Ironically, the Linux kernel is faster than the Windows NT kernel.

@Helladen:

> VB.NET is supported by many graphic libraries, XNA will be on it eventually too. I don't use Visual Basic 6 anymore, the whole Mirage engine just isn't that great after using it for years.

XNA is horrible, just like all the 3D APIs, which don't perform well for 2D.

It's too bad some people only think everything should be simple and rudimentary. Then they wonder why everything performs slow (e.g. all web browsers).

@shylor:

> Here is some other features.
>
> * Large Web Screen (The entire upper half is a website)
> * Customize the theme to fit your game.
> * Dual updating bars to see small patch progress and overall progress.
> * Tool updater allows for updates to the updater! (If we release an update to the updater it is no headache)
> * Package your updates in .rar archives and upload them to your webserver.

There is not one feature in there I'd like to see in an updater myself. I can name you one that would just out-perform the entire crap you wrote: configurable or limited peer-to-peer networking over UDP (similar to torrenting).

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

Hey it is good to see we are not getting beat on by everyone. We are working getting our first game working on the system. The cool thing about the game is that it is programmed in Java. We also have another guy making a game for us to test built with rpgmaker.

@S.J.R.:

> There is not one feature in there I'd like to see in an updater myself. I can name you one that would just out-perform the entire crap you wrote: configurable or limited peer-to-peer networking over UDP (similar to torrenting).

That is the one feature that would make the updater more mainstream. These day, most modern game use both P2P and Server-Based to download updates, to reduce the bandwidth usage on the server. There isn't any updater with that feature on Eclipse, yet. So if you have that, then it would be better than Robin or Yami's Updater. Of course, a game made with EO wouldn't really matter whether if the Updater have P2P or not, it'll download most of the update from a server. Let's face it, you're not gonna get more than 10(or 50, for a safer number) people online at a time.

Another thing to make the updater live longer would be the IPv6\. I don't know if VB.Net support it(or the library you're using support it). But then again, if IPv4 die, then VB 6 die, thus EO die. Unless someone make a library for VB6 to support IPv6 or something.

Sincerely,
Rithy

@shylor:

> Hey it is good to see we are not getting beat on by everyone. We are working getting our first game working on the system. The cool thing about the game is that it is programmed in Java. We also have another guy making a game for us to test built with rpgmaker.

You're the one who turned in to an argument about your updater. If you actually read through my posts you'll see I wanted you to actually explain your accusations and asserted facts. You did not and eventually just turned around with an _ad hominem_ argument and started bitchin' on my attitude.

You still haven't actually explained how switching to .NET solved _any_ of the 'problems' you complained about, so kudos for sticking to it with such pure stubbornness.

@Helladen:

> The point is Visual Basic 6 is fading out and it is so behind times only a twat would be using it as old as you have.

Aah, and then we come down to your point. I love that. I made a point about not basing an opinion on something entirely because of its age and you come in trying to, once again, start an argument about .NET.

Really, it's great. Maybe I'll actually start listening to you when you stop hanging around my forums like an emotional little bastard and actually go program something yourself. All you've done so far is come on to my communities trying to act like an arrogant sod whilst spending all your time re-releasing old Playerworlds games and trying your hardest to keep up with me. Fantastic.

Everyone, shut up and stop arguing! Its just a updater jesus! Yes Robin and another person has created one, but why cant other people create an updater? He might just be starting to do stuff like this and wants to share his program and see if anything is wrong with it, so he can fix it and become better and better. He is just trying to help you guys out! if you want something diffrent besides Robins programs.

@wargod1341:

> Everyone, shut up and stop arguing! Its just a updater jesus! Yes Robin and another person has created one, but why cant other people create an updater? He might just be starting to do stuff like this and wants to share his program and see if anything is wrong with it, so he can fix it and become better and better. He is just trying to help you guys out! if you want something diffrent besides Robins programs.

Read the actual posts. The argument is nothing to do with him releasing an updater. It's him claiming that converting to .NET instantly fixes dependency issues. Don't bother posting if you're not going to read the discussion.

@wargod1341:

> Everyone, shut up and stop arguing! Its just a updater jesus! Yes Robin and another person has created one, but why cant other people create an updater? He might just be starting to do stuff like this and wants to share his program and see if anything is wrong with it, so he can fix it and become better and better. He is just trying to help you guys out! if you want something diffrent besides Robins programs.

Some people have a tendency to ruin threads just because they are mad at life.

I feel sorry for the poor guy. He wanted to make a updater for his own project and he was proud of it and wanted to share it with us all. Now he's being demolished in an argument which should never of occured.

Why not download his updater or gtfo? lol…

The point about why we went .NET is because it is newer. I am not going to program something for a language written in 98 when there is something newer that has been optimized. I understand that it is still VB, but VB is a simple and easy language to work with and can do it's job.

You keep going back to the shipping it with another library. The thing about the library is that it is the .NET 4 Framework. The user will most likely have the library installed via Windows Updater or another program they have installed already. The other thing about using the .NET framework is that even if the installer is needed there is a web installer which is less then 1mb and can only be flagged to see if you have it already and close or install via web connection. It also is signed by Microsoft meaning it will not flag the user that some random program is trying to access your system32.