Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Real or Fake - Unlimited Detail Rendering

Kusy

I only see a future if there are programmers in the game industry who are capable of programming properly, which the game industry lacks a lot. The game industry is currently filled with programmers who programme in C++ and write lots and lots of object-oriented code, which tends to be slow. It also appears that the majority of those programmers has never heard of data-oriented programming, so I doubt they could actually pull it off.

The world knows two kinds of programmers: code monkeys who just programme what they are asked to programme and performance-optimising freaks who programme what they are asked to programme, but do so that it also runs and performs well. The latter kind is almost extinct, as hardware and software seem to diverge.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

@RyokuHasu:

> I don't believe its real, but the closest I've seen to it is high-res polygon mesh from second life, in that game just turn on wire framing and look at your avatar, it has a little over 7000 polygons in its mesh.

Then why Second Life looks so much like shit?

@Kusy:

> Then why Second Life looks so much like shit?

because your looking at crap made by griefers and idiots. There are some places that are professionally made and hardly look like crap.

The thing about second life is that almost all its content is user-created, thus all the crap far out weighs all the good stuff it has to offer.

Granted their newest trailer still looks like crap, but there are a few user generated places that can be applauded.

This topic isn't about Second Life, shut up.

@Admiral:

> …I still say Stephan could probably pull it off, screw "hardware limitations."

I knew i wasn't the only one thinking that :3

I actually did believe what Notch was saying, until i read this topic. It sounds like a really fantastic concept, and with what Stephan said about optimization, i doubt it would take long before this comes out into the gaming market. Assuming that game programmers will know how to optimize it that well. Oh well, i suppose we'll see in the future ^^

@Anna:

> I love how Notch, a guy rolling in cash selling a beta product which is not well optimized, is accusing these people of being snake oil salesmen.

What bothers me is that people think he's an authority on programming, whilst he uses a horrible programming language because he doesn't know how to programme in a less horrible programming language. People like him shouldn't be criticising, people like him should be reading tutorials on OpenGL and networking, because he really needs those.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

No offence to anyone, but people only respect Notch
Because he made minecraft, which is a fun game, but its not amazing. There is absolutely no reason why people should look up to him for all Programming. I've seen much better indie games before, so there's no reason that he should be "the boss" of coding.

I don't see whats wrong with what Notch did, he posted his opinion and admitted he was wrong when he was presented proof. 
And you said it yourself, Goddie:
@S.J.R.:

> They are called volume elements or voxels, not vertices or atoms (stupid marketing people).

Notch pointed that out, and that it's the fault of the salesmen and not the researchers.
No offense, Goddie, but the people you should bothered with are the sheep that can't think for themselves, not a guy posting an opinion.
@Anna:

> I love how Notch, a guy rolling in cash selling a beta product which is not well optimized, is accusing these people of being snake oil salesmen.

Notch used good marketing, the people in the video are stretching the truth, bit of a difference there.

@renzo:

> - snip -

I am bothered by two kinds of people: the people who are ignorant because they are participants of the marketing world and have no clue about the programming and the people who are ignorant and yet think they are an authority on programming. Notch is at least the latter.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

@S.J.R.:

> I am bothered by two kinds of people: the people who are ignorant because they are participants of the marketing world and have no clue about the programming and the people who are ignorant and yet think they are an authority on programming. Notch is at least the latter.

Oh come on now. Look at the video yourself. It should be fairly obvious even to you that the parsec on the low-level petaflops will cause the game data itself to superfluously convolute within the storage devices we have now-a-days. Now even taking in to account the buffer cache misses of the harddrives we need to think about the RAM usage of your average game and wonder how they're going to stream the content in to fast-access memory.

If anything this all comes down to the strangulation of modern-day programming paradigms and shows once again how data-centric programming is something that we should go back to where all programs are nibbling from the same proverbial memory cache. Until then it doesn't matter what method of graphical extrapolating we decide to use.

@Robin:

> - snip -

Data-oriented programming is something I keep promoting over and over again, and now you are telling me the story I've been telling to people: what's your point, Robin?

All I've showed in this thread is that it doesn't take as much disk space as some people think it does (e.g. 64 voxels per square millimetre), because nobody stores volumetric data anyway. That, and some techniques generally used for optimisation. Whether it is actually possible or not is something the company itself should present. If they solve the issue of ray-casting, they should be a step closer, because that's a very cost-intensive concept.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

It was meant to be a joke about people pretending they know what they're talking about.

Apparently I'm so awesome I can try my hardest to sound like I don't know what I'm talking about and still manage to get away with it.